• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

M-38 vs M-44 Russian Mosin

mil-surp people:
interordinance, sarco, J&G, and a bunch others still have these for sale for under $100. what is the difference between the two models? they look like they might be cheap and fun shooters (except i hear 7.62 is going up in price and getting scarce?)? what about the Mosin M91?

didn't i read "milsurps4me" got a laminated 38 or 44 a while back? thanks in advance...
-rob
"..i don't use capital letters, i CAN'T, i WON'T!"[pot]

Last edited:
... what is the difference between the two models? they look like they might be cheap and fun shooters (except i hear 7.62 is going up in price and getting scarce?)? ...

The most obvious difference is the M44s have a folding spike bayonet permanently mounted at the muzzle while the M38 doesn't have one.
They are fun shooters. The M38s are a couple pounds lighter, due to the lack of a bayonet. The M44s reportedly only shoot to the point of aim with the baynet extended.
As with most military rifles, they will shoot about 7" high at fifty yards, more at 100. They are sighted in for about 300 meters. The front sights can be built up to lower the point of impact, or if you are just plinking, you can add an aiming point below the bulleye.
Both rifles are still widely available and inexpensive so there's probably no reason not to buy one of each.
Many have "frosted" (pitted) bores so it pays to check carefully and shop around for the best condition rifle.

Do you have a C&R license? If so I can PM you a link to a site selling 91/59s. These are very accurate for carbines. They're 91/30 rifles that were cut down at Russian arsenals and had the sights corrected. The barrels are thicker than the M44s and M38s. Trully the last Mosin Nagant made. Most of the ones listed are in un-issued condition.[grin]
Don't worry about 7.62x54 getting pricey or going away. New surplus comes in all the time and the NY ammo guys on the gun show circuit always have it. Best to buy a case and use clean up procedures listed in the sticky for corrosive ammo.
The laminated M44 I got was a near mint example with a perfect bore and crown. Those types will get a higher price at around $150 to $200 and depending on arsenal and year, maybe more.
I did pick up a nice M38 a few years ago during a Christmas sale for under $50. Like most M38s its counter bored.

You can go into a whole new direction with M91s, 91/30s , M39s, etc. with Finns, and all diferent other types of manufacturers.
Psssst... theres an M39 for sale in the classifieds.[smile]

Last edited:
the 44 has a slit in the side of the stock where the bayo sits when folded. Since the 44 is newer than the 38, most 38's that I've seen that have been reworked over the years have had the old 38 stocks replaced with 44 stocks. Mine was.

Well I bit for one of the 91/59s from the outfit that Milsurps 4 Me recommended. It should be here in a week or so. I'll probably put my M38 up for sale on the Classifieds, but not until I have the 91/59 and see how I like it.

Since I placed the order yesterday, will it count as a November acquisition? <G>

Gary

Well I bit for one of the 91/59s from the outfit that Milsurps 4 Me recommended. It should be here in a week or so. I'll probably put my M38 up for sale on the Classifieds, but not until I have the 91/59 and see how I like it.

Since I placed the order yesterday, will it count as a November acquisition? <G>

Gary

Look at it this way... more than likely you'll get to kick off the December thread.
As long as I don't beat ya to it with my other M59 SKS order.[smile]

Look at it this way... more than likely you'll get to kick off the December thread.
As long as I don't beat ya to it with my other M59 SKS order.[smile]

It's all your fault anyway. I wasn't in the market for another MN Milsurp although I've been saying to myself that if a 91/59 showed up I should grab it since they are supposed to be better than the M38 or M44 and they are rare. Then YOU have to tell me who has them, how good they seem, how this guy's merchandise is always better than he describes it, and so on.

Better clear out a space in your basement. If my wife tosses me, you have a new family member! <G>

Oh yeah, a special thanks to the guy that posted about the Rockingham show. That's gonna help too. <G>

Gary

Gary

Just put an order in for one of the 91/59s too. And now after milsurps post about the $1000 K31 now I want a K31, well, just one thats a little more affordable.[wink]

Just put an order in for one of the 91/59s too. And now after milsurps post about the $1000 K31 now I want a K31, well, just one thats a little more affordable.[wink]

I'd suggest you get one as quickly as possible. You can PM me for information on where to get one. That's assuming you have a C&R.

From what I've seen lately, the K31s at gun shows are not as nice and much more expensive than you can get with a C&R. This probably applies to just about all MilSurps lately.

Gary

Back
Top Bottom