LTC officer in Lowell

MALDENQB02

NES Member
Oh my God, please allow me to vent. So college classes just started up at UML and one class I am taking is on domestic violence. The normal professor is really cool, works at the Lowell PD.

Tonight there was a "substitute." the substitute happened to be the licensing officer for Lowell PD, in fact that is how she introduced herself, as the licensing officer. So of course, she has no lesson plan and basically has an open forum on policing. ( she worked in domestic cases for a number of years).so of course my first question was, "how hard is it to get an unrestricted LTC-A."

She responded simply, " you won't get it unless you are an LEO, or a business owner that carries large sums of cash, AND THAT'S THE STATE's LAW, NOT JUST LOWELL."
i laughed in her face I said, " I got an unrestricted LTC-A and I'm not any of those, so clearly your chief is setting his own standards."

She immediately says " I make the decision, the chief has too much on his plate to handle this."

At this point I just bite my tongue and maintain my bearing. She asked me what town I got my license, I didn't answer her... Then for the rest of the class she would be talking about domestic violence and she kept referring to me saying if I responded to a home and someone had guns, they would be taken away In a heartbeat. And if I ever did a motor vehicle stop on you, my gun would be in your face before I even asked you anything.

She says " citizens have no reason to carry a gun concealed and if you live in Lowell you will Not get an unrestricted license, and if you don't have a reason other than 'all lawful purposes' you won't get an LTC-A"

GOD I WAS SO PISSED WALKING OUT OF THAT CLASSROOM...

So if you live in Lowell, good luck getting your license.

What a clown...my buddy who works at the sheriffs department with me who is a LEO trained in firearms and everything couldnt even get a un restricted class A in lowell!

her thinking must be "if im strict in handing out license's than I can keep guns out of Lowell" ..someone should inform her that people who commit crimes with firearms don't apply for a license.

I like how they are becoming so confident and relaxed in what they are doing that they openly say it. Hopefully some will put it in writing or get caught on camera. Then we'll have a better case to get the whole suitability crap removed (wishful thinking, I know).

Oh my God, please allow me to vent. So college classes just started up at UML and one class I am taking is on domestic violence. The normal professor is really cool, works at the Lowell PD.

Tonight there was a "substitute." the substitute happened to be the licensing officer for Lowell PD, in fact that is how she introduced herself, as the licensing officer. So of course, she has no lesson plan and basically has an open forum on policing. ( she worked in domestic cases for a number of years).so of course my first question was, "how hard is it to get an unrestricted LTC-A."

She responded simply, " you won't get it unless you are an LEO, or a business owner that carries large sums of cash, AND THAT'S THE STATE's LAW, NOT JUST LOWELL."
i laughed in her face I said, " I got an unrestricted LTC-A and I'm not any of those, so clearly your chief is setting his own standards."

She immediately says " I make the decision, the chief has too much on his plate to handle this."

At this point I just bite my tongue and maintain my bearing. She asked me what town I got my license, I didn't answer her... Then for the rest of the class she would be talking about domestic violence and she kept referring to me saying if I responded to a home and someone had guns, they would be taken away In a heartbeat. And if I ever did a motor vehicle stop on you, my gun would be in your face before I even asked you anything.

She says " citizens have no reason to carry a gun concealed and if you live in Lowell you will Not get an unrestricted license, and if you don't have a reason other than 'all lawful purposes' you won't get an LTC-A"

GOD I WAS SO PISSED WALKING OUT OF THAT CLASSROOM...

So if you live in Lowell, good luck getting your license.

A quick "**** you, bitch" as I cancelled the class and walked out. I've done it before, ain't afraid to do it again.

I can't wait to leave this shithole state because of a**h***s like that

Last edited:
Then for the rest of the class she would be talking about domestic violence and she kept referring to me saying if I responded to a home and someone had guns, they would be taken away In a heartbeat. And if I ever did a motor vehicle stop on you, my gun would be in your face before I even asked you anything.

This is a someone on a power trip if there ever was one. Kind of scary, sounds like she would shoot first and ask questions later.

Please, make sure you talk to your normal professor and them know that the substitute was spouting loads of misinformation during her little power trip. Be explicit that you were extremely offended. The subs mention that she would have had a gun drawn on you during a traffic stop is quite concerning, seems she doesn't really understand the application of deadly force - that is probably worth mentioning too.

Talk to your normal professor before/after the next class you see him/her, or send an email. It would be helpful to cite the actual MGL's where the sub was wrong.

Please, make sure you talk to your normal professor and them know that the substitute was spouting loads of misinformation during her little power trip. Be explicit that you were extremely offended. The subs mention that she would have had a gun drawn on you during a traffic stop is quite concerning, seems she doesn't really understand the application of deadly force - that is probably worth mentioning too.

Talk to your normal professor before/after the next class you see him/her, or send an email. It would be helpful to cite the actual MGL's where the sub was wrong.

I like this. I planned on doing this, just not sure exactly what to say to the actual professor.

I like this. I planned on doing this, just not sure exactly what to say to the actual professor.

I think the law that relates to licensing, and restrictions, is MGL Ch. 140 Sec 131
http://www.malegislature.gov/Laws/GeneralLaws/PartI/TitleXX/Chapter140/Section131

One idea is you could show him the MA LTC licensing map and note how many towns licensing authorities deem it proper to grant LTC-A's for "All lawful purposes" which includes carrying for self defense.
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...uide-to-gun-rights-in-your-Massachusetts-town
http://keiiken.net/images/macitytowngun.png

Maybe some other folks here will have some better ideas

Perhaps a call to the lowell sun is in order... you and your fellow students ought to tell the world about her they love embarrassing that department. I cannot believe she essentially said shed intimidate a traffic violator with a gun.... another unstable moron with a gun.

I'm bored tonight so here's a possible starting place:

Dear Professor XXXX,
I feel I should make you aware of an incident that made me extremely uncomfortable during the class on xx/xx/xxxx. This was the day that Officer XXXX was substituting in your absence. She began the class letting us know that she was the Licensing Officer for Lowell and asked us if we had any general questions for her. Seeing as how she prefaced her class with her role in licensing and it is a topic of interest to me, I ask how hard it was to get an unrestricted license in Lowell. I have such a license but have heard from many people that it was impossible to obtain here. I felt it better to ask the source while I had the opportunity than to go by possible word of mouth rumors. However, this appeared to be the wrong thing to ask. I was told only law enforcement officials and business owners transporting large sums of cash could obtain it per MA State Law. I will admit, when I heard this I laughed because I knew that was not the case as per MGL xxx restrictions were intended to be a matter of suitability and not occupation. Merely giving out false information is not what is prompting me to write this email, however. Not only did Officer XXXX ask which town I had received my license but also said and I quote “If I ever did a motor vehicle stop on you, my gun would be in your face before I even asked you anything.” I find this comment extremely disturbing, threatening, and not what I would expect a professor, never mind an officer responsible for firearms licensing to make. I am unsure of your feelings on the topic but feel you should at the minimum be made aware of the event.
Respectfully,
XXXX

I'm bored tonight so here's a possible starting place:

Dear Professor XXXX,
I feel I should make you aware of an incident that made me extremely uncomfortable during the class on xx/xx/xxxx. This was the day that Officer XXXX was substituting in your absence. She began the class letting us know that she was the Licensing Officer for Lowell and asked us if we had any general questions for her. Seeing as how she prefaced her class with her role in licensing and it is a topic of interest to me, I ask how hard it was to get an unrestricted license in Lowell. I have such a license but have heard from many people that it was impossible to obtain here. I felt it better to ask the source while I had the opportunity than to go by possible word of mouth rumors. However, this appeared to be the wrong thing to ask. I was told only law enforcement officials and business owners transporting large sums of cash could obtain it per MA State Law. I will admit, when I heard this I laughed because I knew that was not the case as per MGL xxx restrictions were intended to be a matter of suitability and not occupation. Merely giving out false information is not what is prompting me to write this email, however. Not only did Officer XXXX ask which town I had received my license but also said and I quote “If I ever did a motor vehicle stop on you, my gun would be in your face before I even asked you anything.” I find this comment extremely disturbing, threatening, and not what I would expect a professor, never mind an officer responsible for firearms licensing to make. I am unsure of your feelings on the topic but feel you should at the minimum be made aware of the event.
Respectfully,
XXXX

+1

Im defiantly using this format and I'm going to monitor what other people say. I'm also going to add other quotes she said.

My only worry is, does that officer have the ability to call my city and revoke my license?

+1

Im defiantly using this format and I'm going to monitor what other people say. I'm also going to add other quotes she said.

My only worry is, does that officer have the ability to call my city and revoke my license?

She could try, unless you committed some offense I suspect even in ma they'll tell her to pound sand.

She says "citizens have no reason to carry a gun concealed..."

In other words, she would rather open carry

opencarry_isreal.jpg

Well she sure sounds pleasant. [thinking]

On a side note, if you ever get a chance, take a class from Professor Saravara. You'll get an easy A and hear plenty about flouride in drinking water.

Glad it helped. She may be able to make a call but unless she is friends with that town's chief, I doubt anything would come of it. If I remember correctly only the issuing officer can revoke the license but I am sure much more experience people will chime in if I am incorrect. Reporting these comments to your professor would also act as a paper trail if ever that did happen. It would show intimidation, harassment, etc. Of course you would need people in the class to back you up and is also why you should be extremely clear and truthful about what was done and said. That's why I made sure to keep the laughing part in there because it is something that could be spun against you if not mentioned. That is all worst case, though.

Glad it helped. She may be able to make a call but unless she is friends with that town's chief, I doubt anything would come of it. If I remember correctly only the issuing officer can revoke the license but I am sure much more experience people will chime in if I am incorrect. Reporting these comments to your professor would also act as a paper trail if ever that did happen. It would show intimidation, harassment, etc. Of course you would need people in the class to back you up and is also why you should be extremely clear and truthful about what was done and said. That's why I made sure to keep the laughing part in there because it is something that could be spun against you if not mentioned. That is all worst case, though.

I am defiantly going to be careful about what I say, if I say something.. With my luck I'll get a call from my city's chief asking me to turn in my guns.

- - - Updated - - -

I am defiantly going to be careful about what I say, if I say something.. With my luck I'll get a call from my city's chief asking me to turn in my guns.

And if I ever did a motor vehicle stop on you, my gun would be in your face before I even asked you anything.

I can see it now. "Man 'accidentally' shot in face for running red light; dog jumps out window an avoids 'accidental' second shot"

Back
Top Bottom