• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LTC interview appointment wtf

Michele

NES Member
Waited almost a month to get into a safety course which was fine. April 12 called and to set up interview with local PD and asked for soonest avail. - got June 12, long wait but I got over that too. Friend in same town as me calls yesterday, almost a week later than me and he gets interview appt. for June 5. Now am a little disappointed in the process. Don't mind waiting but what happened to first come first served. Jeezus.

Sent from an iPhone Star-Trek Communicator

Waited almost a month to get into a safety course which was fine. April 12 called and to set up interview with local PD and asked for soonest avail. - got June 12, long wait but I got over that too. Friend in same town as me calls yesterday, almost a week later than me and he gets interview appt. for June 5. Now am a little disappointed in the process. Don't mind waiting but what happened to first come first served. Jeezus.

Welcome to MA. People in the same towns, and different towns for that matter, have applied at all different times and gotten their LTC's in random orders. First come, first serve is definitely not followed all the time.

My wife turned in her paperwork to the dispatcher in Reading 3 weeks ago. Finally got a call today, scheduling the interview in mid-May. 2 months just to start paperwork! Cripes, can't wait to see how long the "processing" takes.

Don't mind waiting

you should mind the whole system.

my girlfriend has her appointment next month, a solid month or so after she called. additionally the police are lagging behind 10-20 days outside of the 40 days allotted to them by the MGLs. they can't even keep in step with the system that they themselves created. this is how broken it is.

i am sure the local cops would be happy to just do away with it as i'm in a gun-friendly town, so i've got that at least.

I would not post complaints like this here if those dates are true, you are really from the town you list in your profile, and that is your real name. Many people read this forum.

and this information has been successfully used to harass applicants in the past. this post is %100 spot on.

Took me 9 weeks to get in for fingerprints, still waiting two weeks later to come in for everything else (payment, photos), and I can't get the licensing offer on the phone to get a date for next steps.

I've got nothing to hide and nothing to worry about I didn't say anything even close to derogatory toward the PD
basically just asking questions. I think it's good to put stuff out here in a civilized manner so people who are
thinking of applying realize all of the obstacles they may encounter. Appreciate all of your input.

I've got nothing to hide and nothing to worry about I didn't say anything even close to derogatory toward the PD
basically just asking questions. I think it's good to put stuff out here in a civilized manner so people who are
thinking of applying realize all of the obstacles they may encounter. Appreciate all of your input.

Best of luck in the process Michele. We are all pretty disappointed as to how this state/city handles its licensing. I mean imagine worst case you were in fear for your life how many hoops you have to jump through just to get you or your family protection. The whole process is just pathetic in my opinion.

I sent a certified letter to the chief in my town last Friday along with an addressed stamped envelope asking for a CC application. He received it Saturday. I have received nothing back. It's 3 miles from my house to the PD. If I stop in they always say they don't have one or I need to download the AG one which is BS. They are different applications with different restrictions. I want the Chief one.

You're a woman. Learn your place! [rofl]

(FYI, so am I. the dates make no sense)

- - - Updated - - -

I sent a certified letter to the chief in my town last Friday along with an addressed stamped envelope asking for a CC application. He received it Saturday. I have received nothing back. It's 3 miles from my house to the PD. If I stop in they always say they don't have one or I need to download the AG one which is BS. They are different applications with different restrictions. I want the Chief one.

download the state one. it's the only questions they are supposed to ask.

You said nothing unreasonable or disrespectful.

It does suck, but hang in there, it will happen. I had a lot of time to kill when I was first getting my LTC so I know it can be frustrating. Good luck and welcome to NES!

Just a suggestion, join the Holbrook Sportsmens Club while you're waiting. You don't need your LTC to join, and they have several events that you can do without it. It's just up the road from you, and it's a very relaxed place for us newbies!

He probably took the spot of someone who backed out or w/e. I had to wait 2 months for my interview, it sucks but look on the bright side, it could always be worse.

Just so you know, I submitted my paperwork for renewal in mid-jan, and went into my grace period at the end of March. As of yesterday (4/18) the LO said that it was hung up at the state level.

I do believe the cop.....my town has been good in the recent (and not-so-recent) past.

It's the system, top to bottom.

My g/f applied in January. Chelmsford is bright emerald green AFAIK, we both got ALP's 1st time out, mine after I'd only been living here a year from out of state (Arizona). I got mine 3years ago-ish, took 3-4 weeks from application to card. She applied in early January, got it first week in April, so 70-75 days. I'm friendly (and occasionally shoot with) a Sgt on the force. Asked him to check on her status in mid-March, he told me the LO claimed it was a finger print processing delay. She's never had so much as a parking ticket, lived in MA her whole life.

Just fyi...

You said nothing unreasonable or disrespectful.

You both seem to work under the rookie assumption that you have to do something wrong / deserve to get harassed through the LTC application process.

Your mileage might vary, since there are 351 officers in 351 towns handling this... but I would not make that assumption.

On the bright side, Randolph is a green town so you should receive an unrestricted LTC after the huge delays - I'd take that deal anytime.

Hmm.... there must be a jump in applications. When I got my license a few yrs back it only took about a week to get an appointment.

It sucks, but as BB Says, "it is what it is". So do this. Save an extra $100 per week if able. Then when buying your first gun, stop and buy your first 3 guns. And ammo to feed them all. This way even though you lose in the short term, you win in the long run.

Be patient and good luck. And may God have mercy on your savings account.

Don't mind waiting....

You should mind. Mail your app in certified mail. By law your chief needs to approve or deny your license within 40 day of receipt.

Chapter 140 said:
The licensing authority shall, within 40 days from the date of application, either approve the application and issue the license or deny the application and notify the applicant of the reason for such denial in writing; provided, however, that no such license shall be issued unless the colonel has certified, in writing, that the information available to him does not indicate that the possession of a firearm or large capacity firearm by the applicant would be in violation of state or federal law.

Other chiefs in MA have been sued and told to cut the shit with these unreasonable delays. "A right delayed is a right denied." -MLK

Just so you know, I submitted my paperwork for renewal in mid-jan, and went into my grace period at the end of March. As of yesterday (4/18) the LO said that it was hung up at the state level.

I do believe the cop.....my town has been good in the recent (and not-so-recent) past.

It's the system, top to bottom.

Wow you have been waiting a long time. A friend applied about a month ago and picked his permit up this week.

At least you don't live in Everett, then you'd wait a year after your interview for you lisence. Don't worry, be patient, get someone to take you to the range and stay aware. I used my nine month+ waiting time to vent here on NES, join the NRA, join comm2a and get a sense of how to and how not to CC. Just view this purgatorious state as a time to learn the laws. On a side note, you could always apply in the town you work if it is different than your home town, being a woman would probably work in your favor in that regard.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom