LTC holders in Boston, how has your experience been owning a firearm?

We all know Massachusetts and especially Boston are not very gun friendly places. The process alone is a daunting task if you reside in Boston.

For those of you that do reside in Boston, how has your experience been as gun owners? I know the majority of you probably have a restricted license, so do you simply keep a gun at your place for going to the range etc?

Given the minimal amount of gun owners in Boston, if there is a shooting in my neighborhood will the cops come pounding on my door because I'm a gun owner? I know these questions sound a bit ridiculous, but I find the disregard of 2a rights in the city to be outlandish and I would not be surprised if holders within city limits are subjected to harassing situations should problems arise.

Or are your rights totally respected?

It's not as bad as you've heard. I got my first LTC in Boston in 2009 and moved away in 2012, so this might be a bit out of date...

According to public data compiled by Comm2A, only 55% of LTCs in Boston are restricted. I got my restrictions lifted by becoming an active NRA instructor, and you can too. Or open your own business, go to medical/dental school, etc.

if there is a shooting in my neighborhood will the cops come pounding on my door because I'm a gun owner?

Funny you ask... there was a woman who got capped in the backyard two doors down from me in 2011. I voluntarily went up to the detective on scene and told him about some (ultimately unrelated) suspicious activity in the neighborhood. We had a friendly chat and my gun ownership was never asked about or followed up on. I never experienced any other type of harassment nor heard of any with regard to that type of situation.

Your rights are not totally respected. Look up the case of Joe Booker as a prime example. But for the vast majority of LTC holders in Boston, things are pretty uneventful.

It's not as bad as you've heard. I got my first LTC in Boston in 2009 and moved away in 2012, so this might be a bit out of date...

According to public data compiled by Comm2A, only 55% of LTCs in Boston are restricted. I got my restrictions lifted by becoming an active NRA instructor, and you can too. Or open your own business, go to medical/dental school, etc.

Funny you ask... there was a woman who got capped in the backyard two doors down from me in 2011. I voluntarily went up to the detective on scene and told him about some (ultimately unrelated) suspicious activity in the neighborhood. We had a friendly chat and my gun ownership was never asked about or followed up on. I never experienced any other type of harassment nor heard of any with regard to that type of situation.

Your rights are not totally respected. Look up the case of Joe Booker as a prime example. But for the vast majority of LTC holders in Boston, things are pretty uneventful.

I agree. Gun ownership in Boston isn't really a big deal. I'd be looking over my shoulder a lot more in some other town (i.e. Gardner). And we don't have to get five notarized letters of reference just to own a gun. For the most part BPD rank-and-file have been pretty chill. My place was broken into a few years ago and my huge safe didn't raise any questions other than one detective (a Sig guy) wanting to talk up the virtues of SigSauer pistols. Oh, one cop did ask: "How many guns do you own anyway?", but laughed when I told him it was classified.

BTW: for anyone that knows Joe, he got his license back again last spring. [grin]

I agree. Gun ownership in Boston isn't really a big deal. I'd be looking over my shoulder a lot more in some other town (i.e. Gardner). And we don't have to get five notarized letters of reference just to own a gun. For the most part BPD rank-and-file have been pretty chill. My place was broken into a few years ago and my huge safe didn't raise any questions other than one detective (a Sig guy) wanting to talk up the virtues of SigSauer pistols. Oh, one cop did ask: "How many guns do you own anyway?", but laughed when I told him it was classified.

BTW: for anyone that knows Joe, he got his license back again last spring. [grin]

The judgement was in 2003, and he got his license back in 2015/2016?

Never been harassed by BPD. The city AWB, restricted licensing, Moon Island exam, and occasional condescending form letter from the mayor is about the extent of Boston b.s. The city is not a bigoted game playing vindictive junta like neighbouring Brookline or Watertown.

I applied in Boston for the first time about a week before Sandy Hook and had no issues really. Yeah, the process is a pain in the neck but aside from that my biggest concerns were not being able to carry (until I became an instructor and got my restrictions lifted) and not being able to get an AR. Before I got unrestricted I just kept guns at home for range use and milsurp collecting; after I started carrying (everywhere, all the time) I never had a single issue and to the best of my knowledge no one ever noticed; I used to run into BPD all the time at the pizza place on my street and again, no mention of firearms ever. Whenever I went out with gun friends and we loudly discussed guns, no one ever sad a word to us or gave us a dirty look or anything. Now that I moved to the suburbs, Boston still owns my license and I still carry into the city daily when I'm at work - still no issues. As far as large liberal metropolises go, Boston is really great, to be honest, and being a gun owner in the city just isn't a big deal.

Brookline issues about 33% unrestricted, which is an indication of how may connected special people there are. So, if we assume that Boston also has 33% important people in the pool, it means that about excess of unrestricted in Boston is (55-33)/(100-33), or about 1/3 of the "ordinary, unimportant" people who could not get a unrestricted in Brookline do in Boston. It also means that about 2/3 of the "ordinaries" get restrictions.

Of course, this is assuming a similarity in applicant pools that may not reflect reality.

Last edited:
The biggest PITA about being a gun owner in Boston is going down to police HQ to renew. There is no parking and the area is kind of sketchy. Also, the Moon Island test is only a pain in that it is tough to get out there. The guys who conduct the test are great and really want everyone to pass. When my daughter took the teat, she was on crutches. They made every accommodation for her so that she could pass. I became an instructor primarily so that I could get my restrictions removed. Once I sent in the letter, it was reviewed in about 30 days and a week after that I had my unrestricted license. But hopefully Gould v. O'Leary could change this. As far as the Boston AWB, just find a place to store it outside the city.

My place was broken into a few years ago and my huge safe didn't raise any questions other than one detective (a Sig guy) wanting to talk up the virtues of SigSauer pistols. Oh, one cop did ask: "How many guns do you own anyway?", but laughed when I told him it was classified. . [grin]

Ha that is great. First firearm I'm buying is a sig p320c. Appreciate everyones response. Truly invaluable insight.

My place was broken into a few years ago and my huge safe didn't raise any questions other than one detective (a Sig guy) wanting to talk up the virtues of SigSauer pistols.
Was there any effort on the part of the miscreants to breech the container?
Oh, one cop did ask: "How many guns do you own anyway?", but laughed when I told him it was classified. . [grin]
Ha that is great. First firearm I'm buying is a
I would have said "dunno, never bothered to count them. Do you know how many socks you own?".

Was there any effort on the part of the miscreants to breech the container?
No, and I just missed them myself. Years ago another detective investigating another house break told me that most of these guys won't take guns. They're mostly addicts looking for a quick way to get their next score. Stealing guns is too risky. The penalties are severe and they can be harder to unload than a computer or iPhone.

Brookline issues about 33% unrestricted, which is an indication of how may connected special people there are. So, if we assume that Boston also has 33% important people in the pool, it means that about excess of unrestricted in Boston is (55-33)/(100-33), or about 1/3 of the "ordinary, unimportant" people who could not get a unrestricted in Brookline do in Boston. It also means that about 2/3 of the "ordinaries" get restrictions.

Of course, this is assuming a similarity in applicant pools that may not reflect reality.

It would be interesting to see what the distribution of licenses are move in unrestricted vs. new apps. I've noticed a trend where shit towns seem to abuse move ins less. (eg already licensed "foreigners" "

I got my Alien permit FID when I was 16,then my LTC since 1982. The licencing Dept today is the best it has ever been.I remember years back some of the games they played with you just to keep you from wanting to get your LTC.

The biggest PITA about being a gun owner in Boston is going down to police HQ to renew. There is no parking and the area is kind of sketchy. Also, the Moon Island test is only a pain in that it is tough to get out there. The guys who conduct the test are great and really want everyone to pass.

This pretty much sums it up.

The biggest PITA about being a gun owner in Boston is going down to police HQ to renew. There is no parking and the area is kind of sketchy.

Is driving to my appointment this February a recipe for disaster? Will I not find parking anywhere? Maybe uber is the move.

I'll tell all my neighbors that you think it's same as Dorchester and they will throw bricks at you! [laugh]

I used to date a Resident who lived in Brookline. She got home from work and watched as a guy juggling grocery bags managed to close the car door on his hand.

She and another guy came up. The first guy announced, "I'm a Doctor." She said, "Me, too." And the guy in pain said, "Yeah, me too." Only in Brookline....

Is driving to my appointment this February a recipe for disaster? Will I not find parking anywhere? Maybe uber is the move.

Illegal parking can be found, it just depends upon what you want to risk. I usually park along the side street next to the HQ, but that is generally for police only. Uber or the orange line would probably be your best bet. One time I had my wife drop me off and then drive around until I was finished. That didn't go over well with her though.

Illegal parking can be found, it just depends upon what you want to risk. I usually park along the side street next to the HQ, but that is generally for police only. Uber or the orange line would probably be your best bet. One time I had my wife drop me off and then drive around until I was finished. That didn't go over well with her though.

Orange line or bus to Ruggles Staion or pay to park at one of the NEU garages, MFA, or meters on Parker Street/Museum Road/Tremont Street. Otherwise you are are going to get towed off Columbus Ave or out of NEU/the many various housing projects.

I'll tell all my neighbors that you think it's same as Dorchester and they will throw bricks at you! [laugh]
I used to date a Resident who lived in Brookline. She got home from work and watched as a guy juggling grocery bags managed to close the car door on his hand.
She and another guy came up. The first guy announced, "I'm a Doctor." She said, "Me, too." And the guy in pain said, "Yeah, me too." Only in Brookline....
In some neighborhoods in Dorchester the first two would've mugged the idiot who was busy screaming "AAARRGGGH!!! ".. (as his hand was swelling up like one of the Saturday morning cartoon characters hands when they get whacked with a sledgehammer or whatever).

Just sayin'

There's usually plenty of legal parking in the projects across the street.

The process in Boston although absolutely a pain in the ass isn’t that bad. The range crew at Moon island when I got my license (before I was a police officer) where fair to me, friendly and professional. Parking can be a pain look to park near the Northeastern University Police department , usually on street parking is available and only about a 5 minute walk.

The process in Boston although absolutely a pain in the ass isn’t that bad. The range crew at Moon island when I got my license (before I was a police officer) where fair to me, friendly and professional. Parking can be a pain look to park near the Northeastern University Police department , usually on street parking is available and only about a 5 minute walk.

I'm not too intimidated by the range test. Looking forward to getting it done. Appreciate the parking advice, I'll check that out.

There's usually plenty of legal parking in the projects across the street.
Not in the half dozen times I've parked there.

In Southie we used to park in the projects sometimes. Never had a problem, other than once someone seemed to loosen some lugnuts on our minivan once. But wheel thefts occur all over. Acura has the same bolt pattern and offset as Honda, but are usually bigger and wider. Note Honda behind him was unmolested.
i-n33j2JW-L.jpg

Back
Top Bottom