LTC class on Saturday?

richc

NES Member
I'm in metrowest, and wondering if there are any LTC classes running on Saturday. My daughter is interested, but heads back to school on Sunday.

Thanks,

Rich

I run one here in Westford pretty much any time somebody's interested, weekdays or weekends. Have her give me a call or PM me if she can't find anything closer.

Ken

Rich Laberte....Medford PD...781-844-1642.
Great instructor, went over alot of the legal issues involving self defense. Highly recommended. Very flexible, in fact my class was me and another guy on a saturday at 9:00am!
He said he prefers classes of 5 or less so everyone can ask questions and not feel embarrassed or intimidated. Also, the class cost $75. I believe it was a value compared to other courses.

its kinda hard to find for your first visit, go in the plaza, left most building second floor, door only says... MFS

I took my class there as well. I was kinda scratching my head a little when I was told to go in the door by the daycare and head upstairs...

But the class was quite fun, informative and the simulator rocks.

My dad and I just went to the MFS class yesterday (Saturday). It was fun and informative, and we got to use the real police simulator. Our instructors were both on this forum, mike-mike and glocky. My dad and I had a blast and it was fun seeing and learning all the absurd gun laws in Massachusetts. It gave all of us a good laugh.

I'm in metrowest, and wondering if there are any LTC classes running on Saturday. My daughter is interested, but heads back to school on Sunday.

Thanks,

Rich

Hi all,

Thank you for the help! A local member contacted me via PM and we were able to run a private class for my daughter at our home on Saturday. As she was heading back to college we needed to get the class done ASAP.

The next day we delivered her application to the PD. They took her right in, did the prints and photographs and application has been submitted. The LEO in charge said she should have her license in about a month.

Best

Rich

I thought all of the training now needed to include live fire.

Much to the chagrin of some chiefs, there are a number of state approved courses that do not include live fire. I've been told (never bothered to confirm) that the MCOPA course does NOT include live fire!

Unfortunately[frown]

What's the big deal? When my Wife and I got our LTCs back in the mid-late 1970s there wasn't even a requirement for ANY training and we both survived w/o any accidents. Training is great, but it's being used as a crutch and really proves nothing at all.

I think the reason that they had in mind was for all of the morons out there. Most people are like us and would have someone show us the basics of firearm safety, proper way to hold and load, etc. However, there are people who don't evevn know which way to load the bullets in a clip. Not saying I agree with the requirement, but I think that those of us who can actually process information properly take that ability for granted. There are a lot of really f'ing stupid people out there.

OK, you take Basic Pistol and are required to shoot some rounds to get your LTC.

All well and good, right? NOT SO FAST!

Now you go and buy a rifle (AR15) and/or a shotgun with your newly minted LTC. What do you do now??? The BP course doesn't even show you how to load/unload a rifle or shotgun!!! [NOTE: At least the HFS course does show you how to load/unload long arms as well as handguns.]

Maybe some of you might recommend a second license for long arms? And a second course on shooting them too?

Where do you want to draw the line?

Yes, there are morons out there and if you think that a 4-10 hour course and shooting a few rounds in a gun will turn a moron into a safety conscious person, think again.

OK, you take Basic Pistol and are required to shoot some rounds to get your LTC.

All well and good, right? NOT SO FAST!

Now you go and buy a rifle (AR15) and/or a shotgun with your newly minted LTC. What do you do now??? The BP course doesn't even show you how to load/unload a rifle or shotgun!!! [NOTE: At least the HFS course does show you how to load/unload long arms as well as handguns.]

Maybe some of you might recommend a second license for long arms? And a second course on shooting them too?

Where do you want to draw the line?

Yes, there are morons out there and if you think that a 4-10 hour course and shooting a few rounds in a gun will turn a moron into a safety conscious person, think again.

I only think it would make some difference, depending on how much the person pays attention and if the trainer is any good. My statement was referring to what I believe THEIR thoughts were, not mine.

Two of my buddies just took the LTC course at the Mass Firearms School. They kept talking about the Simulator. I heard they are offering a Utah LTC class (not being advertised on the site). I signed up for it, so now I can try out this simulator I keep hearing about.

It really does depend on the course....

Riverside's Basic Pistol class is an extreme example. We not only run for 6 weeks (every Monday Night for 6 weeks), but shoot every night. The class also has a night's lecture devoted to long gun designs and allow hands on operation (no shooting long guns) and then on the last night a wide array of handguns from .32 up to .44 magnum are made available for students to try. On week 5 most students are able to shoot a National Match relay including the timed and rapid fire. We also dedicate a night's lecture to the legal aspects here in MA which is a lot more time and depth of subject than most shooting courses cover. Sure we cover the NRA's course material, but include a lot more. Having a night to study ammunition in depth, pistol designs, drill fundamentals in dry fire exercises, and regular live fire each week is a luxury that few classes can offer for the $$.

Even our Home Firearm Safety now runs far longer than the NRA's schedule so that we can get hands on practical exercises and legal issues the time they deserve.

I know this doesn't help the OP, but our HFS class meets the second Saturday of most months. (visit http://www.riversidegc.org/Training/BAsicPistolandHomeFS09and10.pdf for the schedule.)

Riverside is located on Rt 62 in Hudson, MA near the Stow line. Exit 26 off Rt 495, one exit north of Rt 290.

Back
Top Bottom