• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lowell Residents with Restricted Licenses Need To Read This!

EddieCoyle

Consigliere
NES Member
Are you a Lowell resident with restricted LTC?

Have you moved to Lowell and are worried about losing your unrestricted LTC?

Do you want to do something about it?

Bettina Romberg, my friend, a Lowell resident, and Director At Large for the Gun Owners' Action League, is doing something about it and she needs your help.

Find out more about what her plan is and join her here:

http://www.goal.org/lowell-restrictions-challenge.html

Thanks. I live in chelmsford next town over (green town) just signed up. Lowell is only getting worse, especially with the gangs and robberies stuff you wont see on the news.

If you know anyone in Lowell with a restricted LTC, let them know how to get in contact with Bettina. The more the merrier!

Much needed bump!

There's an important meeting one week from tomorrow.

Last edited:
Bettina Romberg of GOAL just reached out to the UMass Lowell Firearms club this afternoon. I will be trying to get as many members as possible to make an appearance, and maybe speak at the Council Meeting if there is an opportunity to do so.
While I'm not a resident of Lowell, I do spend enough time in the city and care whether or not other law abiding citizens are having their rights abused by Chiefs who don't believe in them.
Look forward to seeing a full house.

Glad I don't live in Lowell anymore. Used to live on Princeton Blvd. Moved south of the Mason Dixon from there back in 2008 3 weeks before "the worst ice storm in 50 years."
I knew Lowell was bad.
Don't you love how the chief values money and property more than human life? What an a55hat.
2nd Best hope is that "May Issue" is found to be unconstitutional. MA is about the worst for zip code dependent issuing. And even then it can change as soon as a new chief comes in. I that doesn't meet the definition of arbitrary and capricious, I don't know what does.

...I knew Lowell was bad...

Yeah, shootings and stabbings are not uncommon in Lowell. I remember one night at a party the police came by a couple of times for noise complaints. They didn't really have a problem with us, but they asked if we'd wrap things up and go home because they were busy with numerous gunshot incidents and didn't have time to come over again!

Here's a Lowell Sun police blog post with photos of bullet holes and some details: all-hell-broke-loose-tonight. That was just one night, but there are many other memorable ones.

If someone wants to show a need for lawful self-defense, that blog is a good source of information.

Did I miss the discussion on this? It must have been the shortest lived discussion on firearms in the history of the country. Whole meeting was 30 minutes.

How soon for an update? I have been following along quietly, but now I'm getting anxious. I have had the sporting restriction on since I got my LTC-A and never really understood not being able to carry 24/7? Would be nice to be able to get the restriction removed and be able to protect myself outside of my own home if need be.

How soon for an update? I have been following along quietly, but now I'm getting anxious. I have had the sporting restriction on since I got my LTC-A and never really understood not being able to carry 24/7? Would be nice to be able to get the restriction removed and be able to protect myself outside of my own home if need be.

From one of Bettina's last emails:

Many of you have wondered what on earth that unanimous vote to hear what the Chief has to say meant. The City Clerk told me that they voted that the Chief has to produce information, a report, to explain the policy and why he requires residents to be a victim before they can defend themselves. This report will go to the City Manager and the Mayor, after which it will likely go to the floor of the City Council.

She's giving them 30 days before she calls for any action from us, and it's been 9 days since that email.

More here: Bettina-from-GOAL-will-be-on-WCAP-8-00AM!!-Call-in-if-you-want!

Last edited:
I don't live anywhere even close to that area, but my fingers are crossed for you guys! This woman seems to be just what's needed to bring an end to this foolishness! So let me get this straight, you first need to be a victim AND obviously survive before the CLEO sees fit to issue? WTF kind of a-hole logic is that? Obviously anyone that knew in advance that they would be victimized wouldn't put themselves in a particular situation in the first place, armed, or not!

can't wait to read the police chiefs report, my dad, girlfriend and i are all waiting patiently!

I hope you don't end up disappointed.

I emailed Bettina about the report, and I didn't get a response, but I have not read anywhere that it will be made publicly available. Perhaps that hasn't even been decided yet.

This thread seems to no longer be a sticky, so I'm going to bump it with Bettina's latest email for those who don't get them:

Hello Friends,

A quick update.

I sent an invitation to the City Council to join us for a Mass Gun Law seminar on May 27 at the Centralville Sportsmen's Club in Dracut from 6PM - 9PM. I have so far received two messages from council members. Mayor Elliot will not be able to join us, and Councillor Leahy has written that he will try to attend.

Councillor Leahy also left me a voicemail on Sunday evening indicating that Chief Taylor should be coming out with a change in the policy in the next few weeks. Mr. Leahy will be in touch once the change is released.

This sounds promising, but I am still not holding my breath. It is a very vague statement since there has been two months since we brought this issue before the Council and there have been years under which our rights have in fact been abrogated.

Therefore, I have been in touch with an attorney who has specialized in Second Amendment cases, including some that have gone before the state and federal Supreme Court. Those of you who have contacted me about interest in exploring possible litigation, I will get in touch with you regarding coordinating schedules so we can meet and have a strategy session together.

As I said in my last message, GOAL has discussed a strategy to raise the money for each interested person, one that has the potential to bring national attention to this matter. If you are interested in exploring this possibility with us, please let me know. We will be fully vetting each individual to make sure we put our best foot forward in this regard.

As always, feel free to respond to this message if you have any questions.

Thanks for all that you do.

All the best,

Bettina

----------------

Bettina Romberg, MBA

Director At Large, Gun Owners' Action League

[email protected]

Since litigation is being considered, Comm2A should be consulted.

My thoughts exactly. Too much to lose if this goes forward and something is overlooked such that we get a bad ruling. Could screw up years of Comm2A's work going forward.

And, if it's a strategic fit, Comm2A could take the case and provide funding. (When we say "take the case", it primarily means "we pay the legal fees")

Therefore, I have been in touch with an attorney who has specialized in Second Amendment cases, including some that have gone before the state and federal Supreme Court.
By "gone before", do you mean "granted cert and heard"?

Therefore, I have been in touch with an attorney who has specialized in Second Amendment cases, including some that have gone before the state and federal Supreme Court.

By "gone before", do you mean "granted cert and heard"?

Good question, Rob! I doubt you'll get an answer, though, unless you (or someone else in Comm2A) communicate with Bettina directly. She doesn't post here often and is likely not reading this thread.

Last edited:
What Happened At The City Council Meeting?‏

Last night, there was another meeting with the Lowell City Council. Here is a portion of Bettina's latest update:

Hello Friends,

We had a great evening last night. Councillor Mercier made the motion to ask the City Manager to ask Chief Taylor for an update on the policy. The information was a little vague as the City did not want to discuss the issue in too much detail due to there being an ongoing federal suit on this same issue.

That suit has been brought by Comm2A and just so happens to be going on at the same time as our initiative. That is excellent because it has put the City on notice, that things must change.

Councillor Mercier said she spoke to Chief Taylor, and apparently the LPD's view is basically this: "This policy has been in effect for 30 years. Why change it now?"

That is a logical fallacy called Appeal To Tradition, which did not go unnoticed by Mercier. That was not good enough for her, and she even used our words to explain her viewpoint. She called it "an antiquated policy," and "discriminatory."

What's Happening Next?

The big take-away from this is that there will be changes to the policy, we just don't know what that means yet.

The Chief is going to ask the City Council to go into Executive Session (basically meaning a closed-door meeting) to discuss the policy and changes. My guess is that they will want to make the federal suit go away and they want to make us happy at the same time...

<snip>

(I'm not posting some stuff about "What's Happening Next", what you can do to help, and information about another meeting at a local sportmen's club coming up next week.)

If you are affected by this and are not already getting these emails, you can sign up here: http://www.goal.org/lowell-restrictions-challenge.html

From the latest email to the group:

It's been more than a month since Councilor Mercier brought forth her motion before the City Council to ask Chief Taylor (via City Manager Murphy) for an update.

So far, we have not heard a response from Chief Taylor.

In July, it will be 6 months since we first brought this issue to the City Council. The last thing we want is to wait another 6 months to get something done.

We need to make sure that our local officials know we are watching them.

Then she lays out a plan to keep the pressure on. Good stuff.

There are 19 city council candidates certified for the upcoming Preliminary Election on September 29 and the General Election on November 3, 2015.

This is a chance for Lowell voters to kick out the city council members who are not working to help you get unrestricted LTCs. The question is, are all the incumbents bad?

There are 19 city council candidates certified for the upcoming Preliminary Election on September 29 and the General Election on November 3, 2015.

This is a chance for Lowell voters to kick out the city council members who are not working to help you get unrestricted LTCs. The question is, are all the incumbents bad?

I believe that at least two of the incumbents are on your side with respect to changing the PD's policy on unrestricted LTCs.

Lowell residents need to start contacting these 19 candidates and put together a score card on their position vis-a-vis licensing.

Back
Top Bottom