• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lowell Residents with Restricted Licenses Need To Read This!

The City Council appoints the City Manager, and the City Manager is Chief Taylor's boss, so the City Council has power over the people who are restricting your LTCs in Lowell.

Right now, the City Manager is Kevin Murphy. If that name sounds familiar, it may be because he was a state representative, and he's the guy who attempted the Home Rule Petition in Lowell that would have required gun safes for anyone who owned 5 firearms (which would have presumably included home inspections to verify), and it would also have required alarm systems monitored by the LPD for everyone with 10 or more firearms.

That didn't pass, but you can see that the police chief's boss is likely not supportive of this effort to change policy. The City Council has the power to change that.

The vice-chair of the Lowell City Council, present at this initial council meeting, is a member of the Sportsmens Club in Dracut Massachusetts - he shoots a Glock 17. One would assume he would share / support our position on this - or perhaps could care less since he probably has an unrestricted license since in addition to being vice chair, is also a business owner in the city of Lowell.

I contacted the Lowell City Clerk's office today who said he has no update on this matter. He further stated that I could call Chief Taylor's office and ask him. The clerk further stated that the chief may not comment because it was his (the clerk's) understanding that the city is subject of a lawsuit and city "officials" would not comment with litigation pending.

I have been calling Lowell city offices since our initial meeting at city hall (probably 7-8 months ago by now) on a weekly basis (every Friday). At first nobody had any information and didn't seem to be aware as to what is going on. I have noticed over the past month that the people I spoke with have become more aware of this issue.

Last edited:
I believe that at least two of the incumbents are on your side with respect to changing the PD's policy on unrestricted LTCs.

Lowell residents need to start contacting these 19 candidates and put together a score card on their position vis-a-vis licensing.

The vice-chair of the Lowell City Council, present at this initial council meeting, is a member of the Sportsmens Club in Dracut Massachusetts - he shoots a Glock 17. One would assume he would share / support our position on this - or perhaps could care less since he probably has an unrestricted license since in addition to being vice chair, is also a business owner in the city of Lowell....

Here are the Lowell City Council preliminary election results (Unofficial) from The Lowell Sun
UPDATED: 09/30/2015 08:14:37 AM EDT

Top 18 advance to Nov. 3 election

1. Rita Mercier -- 2,129

2. Rodney Elliott --1,778

3. John Leahy -- 1,678

4. Daniel Rourke -- 1,669

5. James Milinazzo -- 1,562

6. James "Jim" Leary -- 1,558

7. Edward Kennedy Jr. -- 1,557

8. William "Bill" Samaras -- 1,533

9. Vesna Nuon -- 1,303

10. Corey Belanger -- 1,273

11. Joseph Mendonca -- 1,203

12. David Conway -- 1,138

13. Paul Ratha Yem -- 1,125

14. Jordan Gys -- 812

15. Pan So -- 706

16. Cheth Khim -- 697

17. Martin Hogan -- 424

18. Robert Merrill Jr. -- 291

19. Mayon Mitchell -- 283

How did you do in the election, Lowell gun owners?

These are unofficial results from yesterday's city council election along with the percentage of votes cast for them. I have appended Bettina's assessment of their position regarding LTCs to each. For candidates labeled "NO RESPONSE YET" I'd personally consider that to be "APPEARS TO BE UNFAVORABLE."

Because of my browser, I cannot access all of the functions of the forum software, so this is all the formatting I can do for you guys.

The top 9 won:

Rita Mercier 9.72% FAVORABLE TO RESIDENTS
Rodney Elliott 8.46% FAVORABLE TO RESIDENTS
Edward Kennedy Jr 7.48% APPEARS TO BE FAVORABLE
John Leahy 7.12% NO RESPONSE YET
Bill Samaras 7.08% NO RESPONSE YET
James Milinazzo 6.92% APPEARS TO BE FAVORABLE
Daniel Rourke 6.85% UNFAVORABLE TO RESIDENTS
Corey Belanger 6.49% NO RESPONSE YET (Based on his comments I heard on TV, I'd say he's UNFAVORABLE TO RESIDENTS)
James Leary 6.26% FAVORABLE TO RESIDENTS

Vesna Nuon 5.54% APPEARS TO BE FAVORABLE
Joseph Mendonca 5.33% APPEARS TO BE FAVORABLE
David Conway 5.02% NO RESPONSE YET
Paul Yem 4.71% NO RESPONSE YET
Jordan Gys 4.14% FAVORABLE TO RESIDENTS
Pan So 2.87% NO RESPONSE YET
Cheth Khim 2.61% NO RESPONSE YET
Martin Hogan 1.90% NO RESPONSE YET
Robert Merrill Jr 1.29% NO RESPONSE YET
Write-In Votes .23%

I'd say you did OK; however, a couple of candidates who narrowly lost "appeared to be favorable," and one a little further down was rated as "favorable." Even so, it looks like the winning nine include some potential allies. Too bad some enemies won as well.

Let this serve as a starting point to help guide future election efforts. If you haven't managed to escape to freedom two years from now, you get another chance to do even better.

Last edited:
Has anyone had the experience of moving to Lowell already possessing an unrestricted LTC? Will they change it to restricted automatically?

Back
Top Bottom