low sodium emergency food

Can anyone inform me about lower sodium variations on the survival food theme? Spouse was just put on reduced sodium diet. Have a few months worth of emergency food stored, but never looked at salt content before. Any suggestions?

Best get yourself a dehydrator and a vacuum sealer and get busy.
Almost all of the long term storage foods that I have checked out have a lot more salt than I prefer.

Jack

About once a month I get an email from MREdepot. They are always bidding on Government surplus and production overruns. I have purchased freeze dried chicken breasts, filet Mignon, salmon steaks, pork chops and cod filet from them over the last 8 years. All of their products are sealed in a #10 cans, and all of the food they sell have recent production dates unless otherwise noted. I once purchased a case of 8 year old pork chops from them at a discounted price. They don't add any salt to these types of product.

Can anyone inform me about lower sodium variations on the survival food theme? Spouse was just put on reduced sodium diet. Have a few months worth of emergency food stored, but never looked at salt content before. Any suggestions?

"Sort of" an answer to your question: Look at 'normal' long term foods and then dilute the sodium content by putting a 1 portion serving into 3 servings of rice/pasta/oatmeal/wheat. This has the practical purpose of adding calories and diluting the sodium content by 66%. If it comes to a survival event, salt is going to be NEEDED, as we won't have exposure to a sedentary lifestyle or a shit-ton of processed foods.

A reminder to all, eat what you store and store what you eat. This will mitigate a very sudden diet change if an 'event' happens.

Raw nuts (cashews, almonds, brazil nuts, etc.)
Canned black beans
Rice

It's tough to make prepared foods last without a ton of salt or preservatives.

IMO, low sodium isn't part of the survival equation. Your body will crave it for water retention purposes. Also, there is only one proven way to permanently lower hypertension, and it's not lowering salt intake.

Back
Top Bottom