Lost Teenager

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well there are some difference between the branches, but infantry tactics are pretty universal. A day spent with a marine grunt outfit is probably not much different than a day with an army line unit. Except for all the deck, hatch, bulkhead stuff. And sewing nametags on your butt.

If you join the marines, you will have to get a tattoo that says "USMC" or has the globe and anchor on it. Maybe a bull dog. Come on marines, you all know you have one!

Maybe

Well there are some difference between the branches, but infantry tactics are pretty universal. A day spent with a marine grunt outfit is probably not much different than a day with an army line unit. Except for all the deck, hatch, bulkhead stuff. And sewing nametags on your butt.

I am not trying to take anything away from anyone, but I think the difference is the process by which one becomes a Marine. It's like they screen drill instructors to find people that are borderline psychotic with sadistic tendancies

Great technical training in the Navy schools. And, they eat better than the Army. The following video is proof.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe

I am not trying to take anything away from anyone, but I think the difference is the process by which one becomes a Marine. It's like they screen drill instructors to find people that are borderline psychotic with sadistic tendancies

I also understand that they really drill you on the history of the corps. and try to build a sense of tradition. There was very little of that in the army.

I was an Army MP. If I had to do it all over again, I would join the Coast Guard!
If I had to go Army, I would choose something in Combat Arms. I don't mix well with REMFs and Officers, and I have the paperwork to prove it!

If you join the marines, you will have to get a tattoo that says "USMC" or has the globe and anchor on it. Maybe a bull dog. Come on marines, you all know you have one!

Not true. Mine is a bulldog AND says USMC.

If you were in the military, what branch were you in and would you change things if you could?
Look who and what you would be serving. I've done it and would not do it again.

God, family, self, tribe, in that order. Country is not on the list.

Shoot guys you don't even have to be wet and cold in a field for that. The Air force always rolls with their creature comforts where ever they are.
They had the air conditioned buses. The nice dining halls with wayyyy better food than us. Lol
Between my family and hubbys we cover just about every branch of the service. I originally looked into the Air force but they would not guarantee a job or whether I would go overseas. So I went next door to the Army and asked them if they would guarantee my job and if i would go overseas. They said yes, and the rest is history.
My brother went Air force and it has served him well on the outside. It is all what you make of it. While I know you are young you really need to think long term and how it will help you on the outside for a career.
Do what our son did and talk to ALL of the recruiters, then decide what you want and which branch fits all of that. Like the others have said get it in writing, if it isn't in writing you aren't getting it. Recruiters will tell you anything to get you to sign.

I was a Grunt in the Marines for twenty years.

Not once did I ever wish I had joined the Air Force or any of the other services.

Did I wish my pack-straps cut a little less painfully into my shoulders or that I was able to get more sleep on the rock and root strewn ground? - Yup.

Did I get tired of eating the same cold MRE entrée for the third day in a row or living out of my ruck for even longer? – Sure.

And the list goes on....

Cold, wet, and hungry – the life of a Grunt. Physical discomfort is part of the job description. But if you can adapt to the hardships, or better yet – thrive despite them, then there isn’t too much that will faze you later on.

Was I glad I was surrounded by men who had the physical, mental, and emotional fortitude to persevere and succeed under austere conditions – you bet! I felt honored to be among them.

“When the going gets tough,…” isn’t just a cliché; there’s men who do it everyday. They know that when the conditions are getting too tough for anyone else, those same conditions are just right for them. They know that when things start to suck, that they need to put out that much more.

America still needs the “rough men” that George Orwell talks about, but not everyone is cut out to be included in Heraclitus’ top ten.

But if you don’t try, you’ll never know.

I may not be able to run a 1st class PFT any longer or complete the MCCRES hike within standard, but I will always have the spirit of the Infantry in my head and in my heart. No regrets!

I've been Army for the past 22 years now (8 Active, 14 Reserve). I've loved it, being stationed in Germany from ages 18 - 21 (with a Desert Storm deployment in the middle) were the best years of my life. My older brother went in 4 years ahead of me and gave me the best advice, "Select a job that'll give you skills for the resume when you get out". I may have never kicked in a door, but, I have exchanged shots with the enemy in order to complete the mission. I've known many former and current Marines and my impression is a lack of advancement and opportunities, along with a lack of desire to stick it out for 20 years. My 2 cents. I wish you luck with whatever you decide.

[laugh2][laugh2]

The kid disappeared after starting the thread. Typical teenager. Short attention span. Luckily, DI's know just how to fix that![laugh]

Maybe he will get everyones favorite DI...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the teenager is lost!

[laugh] I'm guessing if he's 17 mom and dad will have to sign for him unless he waits until he is 18. Which is what we told our son. He only had two choices cause I wouldn't sign for the Marine Corp and hubby wouldn't sign for the Navy. Left him with the choice of Army or Air Force. He chose Army Guard.

lifer here.

be all you can be Aim High Army Strong...

[laugh]

if i could do it again, i'd have gone Air Force.

lifer here.

be all you can be Aim High Army Strong...

[laugh]

if i could do it again, i'd have gone Air Force.

You can change branches of service. We had Army to Navy transfers at my first Class A Navy school.

They were smarter than the average bear.[wink]

Marines seem to have more pride in service (at least these days) than any other branch. We love and embrace our history, hell most of my close friends in the army end up coming out for our annual birthday shenanigans at the local bars. They look on awkwardly as we read the birthday message and go through the other traditions, and then get tanked with us. You won't go wrong either way, but I love being Marine infantry. I can tell you right now I am getting out after my first stint, but I wouldn't trade it for the world. Definitely is worth being Marine Infantry, even if the skills are less applicable than some other MOS's provide.

Beware many military boards are a PITA to post on, with people trying to scare away prospective members. So if you do go to join one of those, bear in mind that they take etiquette pretty seriously and only like to answer serious questions, IE don't ask what gun your going to get.

On the note of recruiters lying, I saw it a little but for the most part it was other parts of the system I had to fight with over stuff. Right now Marine Corps boot camp is backed up over a year, they aren't hurting for people, so get in touch with a recruiter ASAP. Infantry goes first in the Marine Corps, and the new jobs come out every October. Be there, or be a pog... (love you guys)

Mike

Did I get tired of eating the same cold MRE entrée for the third day in a row or living out of my ruck for even longer? – Sure.

And the list goes on....

Cold, wet, and hungry – the life of a Grunt. Physical discomfort is part of the job description. But if you can adapt to the hardships, or better yet – thrive despite them, then there isn’t too much that will faze you later on.
Well said Andy!

I spent 4 years as an active Marine. Being in a mechanized infantry unit, I spent a lot of time training with (as aggressors) the Army. There are more then basic differences in basic infantry tactics. We (the Marines) always got the short end of the stick.

The best food story in differences between the Army and Marines was when I was in Somalia. We had just gotten there from a 2 month trip on the boat (Navy likes to call them ships [smile] ), and spent one week in the sand before going into Mogo. As soon as we got there our 1st priority was to find food. We ran in to an Army mess tent and just got in line. No idea on what was on the menu, we asked two doggies in front. One replied with NY Strips, the other started to complain that it was the 3rd time this week. We jarheads hadn't had decent meat in 3 months!

Regardless, we made friend with the Aussies, and ate at their mess, what a treat!

Alright I am 17 years old. About to graduate from high school. I want to go Infantry but I am stuck between Marines and Army. I like the brotherhood and the eliteness of the Marine Corp, but I like the room for advancement in the army like air assault, airborne, mountain warfare and other things like that.
//.
That's not how it divides out.

Leg Army Infantry units, Army Air Assault, and Marine Infantry are conventionally organized infantry units that go into combat in the front lines as a team. Always. Nothing wrong with that: they do most of the work.

Paratroopers (Airborne, Ranger, and Special Forces) have a completely different mindset because every man in the unit from the newest private to the Commanding general may wind up fighting alone. Non-paratroopers tend to consider parachutes a "delivery mechanism" - they don't get it, don't want to get it.

How athletic are you? Are you a strong swimmer? Do you wear glasses? Have you taken the ASVAB? Do you prefer to be "one of the boys" or are you an operator?

Don't be in a rush, you'll want to complete high school no matter what choice you make.

Is there a US military unit that isn't "elite" these days? My grandfather was a WWI Marine, my father WWII Navy, my older brother a Marine Infantry Company Commander. I enlisted in the Army as a private with a guaranteed option for a Ranger Battalion but wound up going to OCS, Jump School and Ranger School before being sent to the 7th Cavalry. The Cav has their own traditions, esprit and outlook, and Cavalry Scout is one of the best jobs in the military.

Without slighting the vital contributions of all the services, I would rather be a private in any Airborne unit than a private anyplace else.

[laugh2][laugh2]

The kid disappeared after starting the thread. Typical teenager. Short attention span. Luckily, DI's know just how to fix that![laugh]
There's a single mom next door with a teenage son. After the last big storm his mother was out cleaning off her car. I said "You know, if your son was in the Army now, his Sergeant would have him out here now, cleaning off your car for you." So Friday when it snowed, there he was, cleaning off the car. Progress.....

Marines think they have more pride in service (at least these days) than any other branch. We love and embrace our history, hell most of my close friends in the army end up coming out for our annual birthday shenanigans at the local bars. They look on awkwardly as we read the birthday message and go through the other traditions, and then get tanked with us.//
FFY

The Army doesn't make a big deal about our "birthday" because at the time of our now official birth date [now June 14th] we'd been fighting our enemy for more than a year. They look on "awkwardly" because the Army is the air we breath. It's the fabric of the Republic.

Marine Corps PR is both a strength and an achilles heel: the best line I heard was that a WWII Army Infantry Squad was 11 men, a Marine squad 13, because each squad had a photographer and a reporter. Another old joke about the three man fire teams was "three shootin', three lootin', three takin' pictures."[laugh] The Marine Corps seems to have defined itself as the "unarmy."

But don't anyone get confused: as far as the Cav is concerned, they are the true "Keepers of the Flame."

Halfway down the trail to Hell,
In a shady meadow green
Are the Souls of all dead troopers camped,
Near a good old-time canteen.
And this eternal resting place
Is known as Fiddlers' Green.

Marching past, straight through to Hell
The Infantry are seen.
Accompanied by the Engineers,
Artillery and Marines,
For none but the shades of Cavalrymen
Dismount at Fiddlers' Green.

Last edited:
Unless I missed it, I'm surprised no one has recommended one of the academies or ROTC. Sure it means your time in service is longer, but if you get nothing else to help you the rest of your civilian life, you've got the degree.

Does anyone ever notice that people always have to reference Airborne, Rangers, SF, etc. when making comparisons with Marines (in general)?

Does anyone ever notice that people always have to reference Airborne, Rangers, SF, etc. when making comparisons with Marines (in general)?
I politely noted that leg infantry units are leg infantry units. Kinda like Dodge and Plymouth. The OP expressed interest in Airborne so I tried to set him straight.

If you or the OP prefer the Marine brand of conventional line infantry units, the recruiter will be happy to take your order. Would you like squid with that?

What organization do you think this thread is about?

Last edited:
I politely noted that leg infantry units are leg infantry units. Kinda like Dodge and Plymouth. The OP expressed interest in Airborne so I tried to set him straight.

If you or the OP prefer the Marine brand of conventional line infantry units, the recruiter will be happy to take your order. Would you like squid with that?

What organization do you think this thread is about?

No clue. FPrice asked a question that was never answered, and you kept the identity rather cryptic. If you feel like spelling it out now it would certainly clarify things. Now, in reference to my post which you quoted, I was just engaging in good-natured inter-service rivalry. I have absolutely nothing against the Army. Heck, I walk around in ACUs for one weekend each month listening to everyone around me say "hooah sar'nt" a lot. Seems like the rivalry might be a bit more personal for you. Sorry if I touched a nerve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom