looking for small grip 9mm for the wife?

msdamato

NES Member
My wife has small hands. She loves the Walther P22 I bought her but I want her to step up to a real caliber. I have a beretta and a Glock and she can shoot both but not comfortably and she has a hard time functioning the slide release and the mag release. She liked my buddys PK380 and I thought of getting one for her but I don't shoot 380 and don't need anothe caliber in my collection. Also she shows some interest in active shooting with me and that means 9mm or better.
Any thoughts would be helpfull. oh and I dont want a subcompact.

I'm not sure if it qualifies as a "sub-compact" or not, but I have a Kel-Tec PF9 that I love. I know Kel-Tec has a rep for being less than awesome, but I've never had an issue with it, and I don't know anyone personally who has ever had an issue with their Kel-Tecs either. The P11 is a little bigger than the PF9 also, having a double stack magazine, but otherwise is very similar.

If you don't mind spending some more money, you also can't go wrong with a SIG P239. The grips may be a little big as they come from the factory, but there are some really nice, super thin aftermarket grips that can be attached.

I'd say have her try a 1911. The S&W 1911 in 9mm is available from dealers in MA. My favorite gun is the Kimber Ultra Aegis II. It's a sub compact in 9mm but it is incredibly sweet. If logistics work out I'd be happy to let the two of you try it out.

I second the SR9c. My wife had the p22, hatred the way it shot, but she loved how it felt in her hands. She very much enjoys shooting my ruger SR9c.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk

Didn't even think of that. Great shooter too. Have to borrow my fathers and give it a try.

PM9, PPS, LC9 if you want a single stack 9mm. If you want something a little larger a G26, SR9c, and the M&Pc Of course there are a few others out there too.

Last edited:
Try a browning hi=power. They have very small grips and a lot of petite women students of mine have loved them.

That was my very first thought. You beat me to it.

S&W 2nd Generation Pistols: 439, 539, 639 (getting harder to find but they are still out there). Also S&W 3rd Gen 3904 and 909 in the Value Series (extremely hard to find).

Sig P225...they are also out there.

Overall, though I'd say Browning Hi-Power. Right now IDC in Clinton has two very nice ones.

Last edited:
My wife has small hands. She loves the Walther P22 I bought her but I want her to step up to a real caliber. I have a beretta and a Glock and she can shoot both but not comfortably and she has a hard time functioning the slide release and the mag release. She liked my buddys PK380 and I thought of getting one for her but I don't shoot 380 and don't need anothe caliber in my collection. Also she shows some interest in active shooting with me and that means 9mm or better.
Any thoughts would be helpfull. oh and I dont want a subcompact.

Why are you excluding subcompacts? The snappy recoil maybe? I'd at least look at the LC9. If that's too small the M&P 9c with the small backstrap might be a good choice. I own both and you're welcome to try them at my club if you find yourself in the metrowest area in the future.

HAven't handled one, but I've looked at them through glass, but how about a P99? Looks similar to the pk380, and it's a 9mm. I've got a Sig P239 in .40 and its not too bulky with the hogue grips I have on it. Maybe give that a shot (in 9mm if you'd prefer).

The PM9 is a nice gun -- I have one. But it also has a fair bit of recoil, and the reduced length grip and short sight radius make it harder to shoot. It isn't a range gun, and it isn't what I would recommend for a novice shooter.

The Kahr K9 will be easier for her to handle. Other good choices have been mentioned above, including Sig P239, S&W 3913.

Kahr makes a whole line of single-stack pistols that have pretty thin grips.

http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-CW9.asp

This is the answer.

Just NOT the PM9 as many have suggested. The PM with its short grip recoils noticeably more (though still not much) and the longer grip of the P9 will allow her to get her entire hand on the gun.

So the P9, with a slightly longer slide and a grip that lets her get her whole hand on it is the best Kahr for her, theoretically. I think the CW9 is the same size as the P9.

Don

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom