• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for nice Starter 12G shotgun

I am looking to buy my first shotgun. I have narrowed it down a little bit. Looking for a 12G. that is reliable and will last. Looking for pump-action. please feel free to give some much needed advice.

Last edited:
Hi vaccaroja, If you are looking for a pump gun, then either a Winchester 870 or a Mossberg 500 will fit the bill and last a lifetime. I prefer the 870.
What are you looking to use it for? Either one with a removable choke barrel could be employed for hunting, home protection, or any of the shotgun sports. If you can, get together with a frind who shoots trap/skeet and go to the range with her/him. There you can see ana array of diferent guns and speak with their owners about them. Most people will offer to let you try their gun in my experience.

I almost bought a NIB Mossberg 500 from a shop here for about $300 but something told me to hold off. I did and on another forum I saw a Remington 870 18" barrel, extended magazine, black (oooo evil haha) NIB for $275. I talked him down to $225 shipped to my FFL (who didnt charge me). I'd say that I love it but it has been hanging out in my "safe" since Thanksgiving. I will bring it out next weekend for the 1st time.

I love 870's they are a venerable classic. I do not however find them to be the end-all-be-all in pump shotguns. I'm not sure what you're using it for, (home defense, hunting, skeet, trap, combo) but in defensive shotguns it's hard to beat a Benelli Nova Tactical. About $300.00 and change and already set up to go tactical, (finish, ghost rings sights, extended tube). The pump action is sublime and for a few extra bucks, it can be had with a recoil management system. If two shotguns were leaning on the wall and I had to grab one to defend myself, I would sadly leave the 870 and grab the Benelli, but it sure would be nice to know the 870 was there....

The Remington 870 has proven itself in combat in every clime and place from Vietnam onwards and in every imaginable law enforcement firefight.

Its record of reliability under the most adverse conditions is unassailable and unquestionable.

If I could only have one firearm, the 870 would be it.

just looking for something for fun.. could be for defense who knows.. i am looking at benelli M4's any comments? I see no prices online. Expensive? Im getting a lot back from my tax return.. close to 1k.

I carried a Ithica 12 guage riot gun in the jungle when I was in Vietnam. Never failed me once. Tough as nails would really take a beating and no matter how hot and dirty it got it would keep working..

But their are some great shotguns out there now. The problem with shotguns is finding one to fit you. You have to pick each one up and see how it shoulders.

My last Remington broke and I'll never buy another one. Try and get one fixed.

My next shotgun is going to be a Benelli.

My last Remington broke and I'll never buy another one. Try and get one fixed.

My next shotgun is going to be a Benelli.

+1 Bugs. I love my 870, but it took a crappy one to get a good one. I bought an 870 NIB and it had a habit of jamming and ejecting the shells from the tube when it's mood was right, (wrong). I had it replaced by Remington and the one I have now is solid, but it can't hold a candle to the Benelli on any level, (action, speed, accuracy, features, reliability).

Vaccaroja - if you can find several to shoulder go that route. I think you'll make a wise choice no matter what you pick. I think however that if a dealer is deep enough in shotguns to lay a Benelli Nova Tactical out of the box, next to a Remington 870 out of the box - you'll walk away with a Benelli and be glad you did. Remington 870's are old guard and good for what you get. Benelli's however are in a class by themselves - IMHO no comparison. Like comparing a Ferrari to a Trans Am. Both are fast and will get you where you want to go, but the Benelli does it just a little better...

My only Ithaca experience was with a 10ga "Roadblocker". It was a superbly built weapon and was as reliable as the day is long, (but man was it a hand full)... [wink] If you can find an Ithaca 12ga in good shape, you'll be GTG.

You can purchase a shotgun in ME or NH without FFL correct? If so make a trip to KTP- they have a large selection if I recall.

Correct, Lugnut.

For a really cheap starter, a Mossberg Maverick 88 might be the right choice. Can be had used for under $150 and takes Mossberg 500 barrels.

There are better shotguns than the standard Rem 870/Mossberg 500/590
trio... but you'd be hard pressed to find something better in the same price
class.

I have a Rem 870 marine magnum and its well built... never had
trouble with it. But I use it for SHTF/HD/blowing stuff up exclusively.
If I was going to do skeet/trap/etc I would probably buy something different...

FWIW, on the higher end, I agree with MassMark and Bloodhound... Benelli
makes a great product. If I was shopping for a shotgun and I had a
bigger budget, I would definitely look in that direction.

-Mike

what benelli would you suggest. I am not that big of a guy. it would not take a lot for a 12g. to throw me around. Does anyone belong to AMES in easton, ma that has one these guns listed above that I could try before I make my decission? PM me if you are located near Easton, ma.

I am stuck on benelli for sure. I am just not sure what kind. I would like something that is dependable most likely a pump to start out. Something maybe tactical? Something I will have fun with but, if ever needed for home deffense will get the job done.

Don't buy a "Tactical" shotgun, particurlay the Benelli. Simple reason is the magazine extension is too short. Buy an M2 Field, 21" or 24" barrel, and get an aftermarket extension, an SRM or Nordic Components, both available from Brownell's. A Benelli M2 will be about $1100.00 for a stock gun.

You can build your own tactical set up as suggested by Dan, or buy one already tactical ready. The choice is up to you. personally, I want mine ready to roll, rather than hunting down and installing parts, but that's just me. If you're leaning semi-auto, try and find a Super-90. I think Four Seasons had one. With 8-rounds on deck, you'll be a master blaster for sure. If you're worried about recoil and go pump action, check into Benelli's recoil management system, (ComfortTech) for pumps - claimed recoil reduction of 48%. Recoil is very tame on their semi-auto as is.

Here's more info...Benelli Special Purpose Shotguns

Start out different... go for the Saiga-12. You can always get Remington, Mossberg, or Benelli but the Saigas are getting scarce and going up in price.

Tromix Saigas were in the $800-1000 range but Tony has stopped taking orders due to a huge backlog, 4-5 months. I bought parts directly from him and did my own conversion for under $180. If you had all the parts, the right tools, and a stock Saiga, you could do the conversion in an afternoon easy.

Start out different... go for the Saiga-12. You can always get Remington, Mossberg, or Benelli but the Saigas are getting scarce and going up in price.

Bought my Saiga 12 from M&Ms in Plymouth in Jan. or Feb. Paid $429. Went there last week to check things out and he's got another one but was up to $459.

i almost bought a double barrel break action from dick's sporting good store today. Then I could not get the guy behind the counter get the action open and i could not get it open either. So i figure no need to buy something i can not use.

Savage's rifles are great. Can't beat them for the price. I don't know much about their shotguns.

Re: Benelli pump guns - I have a Nova and love it. You mentioned that you're somewhat sensitive to the recoil. I'm usually not, but this had stiff recoil in the heavier loads. I've modified it to reduce the recoil in 3.5" shells by adding a gel recoil pad and a mercury recoil reducer (there's a place for it in the stock). Still paid less than $500 for it with those mods.

As others have said, the Rem. 870 or Mossberg 500s are great too. The Mossberg 835s are good also.

GTOShootr & JonJ (any other Saiga owners),

Been doing a ton of reading on the Saiga and saw your suggestion to the OP who wanted a starter shotgun. I am also, interested in a starter shotgun, with the main idea for skeet/trap shooting, not so much for hunting or self defense. Would this be too much for me, seeing as I've never fired a shotgun before? I really do like the look and the reliability/fun factor that I keep reading from everyone on them. Saiga-12 or Saiga-20??

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom