• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for first rifle

I am looking to get my first rifle just to do some some target shooting and I think to save money I would like to get a .22 to get to fire cheap ammo to get familiar with the rifle then maybe look at something else down the line. I would probably like something I could customize at some point and I see a lot of people recommend the Ruger 10-22. My question is should I look to just buy a used one because I hear the "new" 10-22's are not as well made as older ones and contain much more plastic. Is there any other .22 rifle that is recommended or any brand that I should stay away from. I am kind of pulled toward the Ruger because I love my Mark III and how well it shoots so I would think the 10-22 should be just as good. Any recommendations would be appreciated I don't have any friends that shoot so I rely on what I read and the recommendations at the local gun shop.

Thanks,
Pat

Don't sweat the new vs. old 10/22. If you can't find an old one, a new one will do just fine. You'll end up replacing half the parts in the long run anyway...

I'm sure you'll like the 10/22. I went with the Remington 597 and I love it. I wasn't looking to do alot of modifications. I find the 597 to be very accurate and I'm no pro by any means.

I love my CZ452. It is more expensive than the 10/22, but is built like a tank, has great fit and finish, and is amazingly accurate.

You may want to do a trigger job to it. There is something called the Yo Dave trigger kit. I'm all thumbs and I was able to install this and it made the trigger so much better.

Good luck,

Rich

I would suggest the M&P 15-22. Not an expensive rifle and makes a good practice rifle for when you'll get an AR-15 later down the road.

Depends on your budget. Ruger, Marlin, Remington, Thompson Center, CZ, or the Massachusetts made Savage. You could get an NEF (also a MA made gun), and then add other barrels, as well. Could also just get an old used .22 at a shop for less than $100.

Well guys the itch got to me today and I scratched it I picked up a Ruger 10/22 Carbine from Competition Shooting Supplies in Pawtucket. I am very inexperienced and know nothing about rifles and the owner was very helpful and patient even though he was busy. I recommend the place to anyone. Excellent customer service.

Back
Top Bottom