• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for an easy to rack 9mm for my wife.

My wife enjoys shooting our S&W 686 loaded with .38 specials. She'd like to learn to shoot a semi as well, but she just can't rack the slide on my Sig P220 .45ACP.

I'm thinking a Berretta 92 might work, but I'm open for suggestions.

Thanks!

Have her check out a Glock 17 . . . provided that we can convince Glock to honor warranties in MA (see other thread on broken Glock).

My Wife has Carpal Tunnel and was able to easily operate a G17. She couldn't pull the slide back on any of my other semis!

i have ms and have trouble with my left hand and arm. i've found the easiest semi to rack is the hk usp, the the beretta 92, then the sig p239, which would have the same manual of arms as your 220. also, thumb back the hammer before working the slide, makes it much easier. btw-khars, hk p7's, and cz's (slide inside frame)are really tough. ymmv.

jack

I have arthritic, yet strong (for a woman) hands. I have no problem racking the slide on my G23, the 1911 or the PPK-S, but I had a hard time with the 9 mm Ruger this past weekend, I'd never shot it before. I think technique comes into play, pull back quickly and let it go - I think it can be a bit intimidating if you are unfamiliar with semis, or with that specific gun.

You can put a lighter recoil spring in a Glock or Beretta. They have them in Brownells. The faster cycling might even lessen perceived recoil. My Glock 17 runs nice with a ISMI guide rod and light spring.

(edited to better address the question about 9mms)

My wife has tendonitis in her hands so it's a similar problem. She has difficulty with my P99 and the XD is a complete no-go. My USPc9 is the easiest for her to operate but the grip is a uncomfortable for her. I just picked up a Hogue grip for it to see if that helps.

Since I saw the 3913 recently I have been considering that for her; it looks like a good option. Just need to get her together with one on a range to try it.

ETA: She hasn't tried a Glock yet so I can't comment on them.

The actual force of the spring isn't all that great on any handgun. The real problems tend to be due to the difficulty of getting a good grip on the slide, and technique. One thing I've found very helpful for students who have problems is train them not to pul the slide back. Instead, get agrip on the slide with the weak hand and hold that arm still. Then use the strong hand to push forward rapidly while holding the grip. It takes a little practice to see how that's really different from what they were trying to do all along, but once they catch on it becomes a lot easier. You can push a lot more forcefully than you can pull.

Ken

Some excellent suggestions.

If none of them work out, Beretta makes a large .380 (Model 84 is the number, I think) that doesn't need racking - the barrel tips up for loading.

Regards
John

Have you tried showing her the Israeli method? (Saw this on discovery and I use it now)

1) Hold pistol in hand (let's assume right hand)
2) Tilt 90 degrees to left - gangster style
3) Place meaty part of palm on the top side of the slide, curling fingers around so that the pads of 4 fingers connect to the other side of slide (thumb should be pointing down right side of slide towards "business end" of barrel)
4) push forward with right arm (like a punch) while pulling back in a sling-shot motion with the other hand

I find that the extra contact area really helps keep things in control.

KMaurer said:
The actual force of the spring isn't all that great on any handgun. The real problems tend to be due to the difficulty of getting a good grip on the slide, and technique. One thing I've found very helpful for students who have problems is train them not to pul the slide back. Instead, get agrip on the slide with the weak hand and hold that arm still. Then use the strong hand to push forward rapidly while holding the grip. It takes a little practice to see how that's really different from what they were trying to do all along, but once they catch on it becomes a lot easier. You can push a lot more forcefully than you can pull.

Ken

That's how we teach our "kids" too. It's a lot easier on the hands (and I speak from experience on that point with 6 hand surgeries under my belt and a 7th scheduled for next week) and arms to do it that way.

I'm not sure about your P220, but the 9mm P228 I fired wasn't too difficult. At first I thought it'd be easier but after loading a few magazines it was relatively easy and comfortable.

Beretta 92 may be too big for her hands. Check that out before you get one. She might be better off with a single-stack gun if she has small to medium sized hands.

Back
Top Bottom