• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for ammo storage ideas

here:

do I get a finders fee?
I use the shorter 2 drawer file cabinets. The old ones that are heavy guage metal, not the new flimsy ones. Each drawer hold 6 or 7 (forget which) 30 cal. USGI cans. Which are manageable.
The 50 cal. cans fit as well but are heavy when full of 9mm.
I have plastic ones too but I don't like the way the tops flex when lifting them and the tapered sides mean boxed ammo doesn't always fit right.

...or for bulk storage, they have these boxes on sale, four for $40. At least one reviewer commented that they're great for ammo storage: IRIS 20 Qt. Heavy Duty Plastic Storage Box in Black (4-Pack) 500152 - The Home Depot

Frank
Yeah idk i have these and i like them

Your friend has shared a link to a Home Depot product they think you would be interested in seeing:

Looking for some convenient ammo storage ideas. I have been using a few large military metal boxes with clamp on lids and locks but it’s a pain to access and a pain to sort through stuff. I think they are old rocket or mortar boxes. Please share ideas and or pictures of things you have found convenient.

If you are into .22LR Rimfire. I use 12oz POWERAID bottles. Each one holds 300+ rounds. They are airtight, stackable and easily fit into a pocket or range bag.

I think technically there is some kind of fire code regulation or something that nobody actually pays attention to because there are no real consequences for violating it.
I have heard about a round limit you have to stay under so you don't have to pull a storage permit with the FD. I have never heard of having to lock up your ammo though.

I have heard about a round limit you have to stay under so you don't have to pull a storage permit with the FD. I have never heard of having to lock up your ammo though.
Yes, I had a powder & ammo permit from my FD in MA for all the years I was there. It was very easy and cheap.

MGL says that you can't allow access by any unlicensed person to ammo or components. Thus, locking up everything is the easy way to do this. I agree that most folks ignore it however.

The permit is BS and inviting the gov to your house.

Ammo and primer in ammo boxes are totally fine during a fire. Any metal or thick wood container is perfectly fine for primers during a fire, firefighters will be fine. Ammo cans are perfect for Ammo. Not an issue.

Even powder, I found a video on YouTube testing several pounds of powder in a fire. They had like 25lbs (I believe) of smokeless powder, it all burnt into a fire ball in under 1min, done.

if you Google it, you will come across several threads in other forums, there is usually a firefighter that will post ammo and powder are the least of his worries in a fire.

The permit is BS and inviting the gov to your house.
Not generally true. Only a couple of places (Boston I think is one) would do an "inspection".

My former MA town issued them no sweat and no investigations/inspections. I held one from ~1976 until ~2020.

Now in Free America, I don't need any permits and nobody cares what you have.

Not generally true. Only a couple of places (Boston I think is one) would do an "inspection".

My former MA town issued them no sweat and no investigations/inspections. I held one from ~1976 until ~2020.

Now in Free America, I don't need any permits and nobody cares what you have.
Yeah ... except you told the govt you were storing ammo. Never good, even if your town was cool about it.

I have 2 extremely heavy fireproof file cabinets I'm getting ready to sell, 1 is a 4 drawer, the other a 2 drawer, with keys

Costco sells them for $29... and they won't ask you for an LTC, unlike Cabelas.

I’m done with Cabelas too after they asked for my LTC to buy some MTM boxes
🤣 WTF?

"Sir please. We just need to make sure the government says it's okay for you to possess a shitty plastic box "

🤣 WTF?

"Sir please. We just need to make sure the government says it's okay for you to possess a shitty plastic box "
Yes. Next time you are at the MA Cabelas, grab an empty plastic ammo box and try to pay for it without showing your LTC.

The computer forces them to check.

Maybe we should stsrt a petition for them to also ask for an LTC for hunting clothing. It is for the children.

A related question: For bulk storage are you better off keeping rounds in the original boxes or dumping them out? Tx!

MGL says that you can't allow access by any unlicensed person to ammo or components. Thus, locking up everything is the easy way to do this. I agree that most folks ignore it however.

Please show where that is in MGL.

Ch 140 Section 131L only mentions locking up firearms:
“It shall be unlawful to store or keep any firearm, rifle or shotgun including, but not limited to, large capacity weapons, or machine gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety device, properly engaged so as to render such weapon inoperable by any person other than the owner or other lawfully authorized user. It shall be unlawful to store or keep any stun gun in any place unless such weapon is secured in a locked container accessible only to the owner or other lawfully authorized user. For purposes of this section, such weapon shall not be deemed stored or kept if carried by or under the control of the owner or other lawfully authorized user.”

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom