Looking for a place to try out pistols before buying

Now that I have my license and have begun looking at pistols, I have run into the expected but annoying problem of having to face buying a thing that costs several hundred dollars without a chance to try it out first (aside from holding it in a store and dry-firing it).

So, I'm looking for pointers to ranges/clubs that (a) are open to the public/non-members, (b) will rent guns to licensed people, (c) have a decent selection of rental pistols, and (d) are, say, within an hour's drive of Arlington, MA.

I know about (and have visited) The Firing Line in Manchester, NH, but it would be nice to find out if there are any places like that closer to Arlington than Manchester.

Thanks as always for any tips!

MA only had ~3 such places that you describe TTBOMK.

Bob's in Salisbury, now closed but hopefully will reopen soon (waiting to get their FFL).

AFS in Attleboro, now under new management.

Another place in Worcester. Is that Boston Gun and Range?

That's it AFAIK.

Best bet is to buddy up with someone from this forum in your area and ask if you supply the ammo will they let you shoot their toys so that you can get some ideas where to spend your money. [wink]

I did just that last month and that is how my Wife decided on the Glock 17 and S&W 64. She had tried some other people's guns, as I didn't own anything that suited her (part of the problem is she is a Lefty and I'm right-handed).

Most all gun owners are very generous like that.

Try-a-gun

Just post what gun(s) you are considering and the radius you are willing to travel for your test drive. You'll probably have an assortment of invites to choose from.

Interested in shooting IPSC? A bunch of us will be at AFS Saturday morning for the meeting concerning the possibility of matches. I bet one of us has what you are looking for.

lagrangian said:
I know about (and have visited) The Firing Line in Manchester, NH, but it would be nice to find out if there are any places like that closer to Arlington than Manchester.

SnakeEye said:
The firing line in manchester has a good selection of pistols to rent.

I don't think it's that much closer than Manchester. [wink]

Ken

AFS

GTOShootr said:
Interested in shooting IPSC? A bunch of us will be at AFS Saturday morning for the meeting concerning the possibility of matches. I bet one of us has what you are looking for.
I am not prepared to spend a couple of hours packing up the car before heading to AFS. If someone who will be there has a particular gun in mine, let me know and I'll bring it if I have it.

Re: AFS

Rob Boudrie said:
I am not prepared to spend a couple of hours packing up the car before heading to AFS. If someone who will be there has a particular gun in mine, let me know and I'll bring it if I have it.

Plus, your rear bumper would be close to touching the ground like a certain black Caddy from Swansea.

If you don't know where to start in terms of trying stuff out, someone at such a range or here on the forum could make some suggestions to point you in the right direction. Impulse buying has caused me some regrets and cost me money in the past. You are going about it in the right way in wanting to try stuff out.

Lag- I agree with agreers- you'd probably be better off listing what guns you want to shoot.

Actually it might be fun if we all made lists of what guns we want to shoot and then see who here has them...

Try before you buy

The only two places remotely near you where you can walk in off the street are Manchester and Boston Gun Range in Worcester.
However, I've heard AGGuns in Lowell will let you try a pistol on their range if you are serious about buying but if you're looking to go out and get your hands on a number of different firearms to help narrow things down either hit Manchester or Worcester or take the excellent advice you've been given in the forum and post up what you're leaning towards.

lagrangian said:
Now that I have my license and have begun looking at pistols, I have run into the expected but annoying problem of having to face buying a thing that costs several hundred dollars without a chance to try it out first (aside from holding it in a store and dry-firing it).

So, I'm looking for pointers to ranges/clubs that (a) are open to the public/non-members, (b) will rent guns to licensed people, (c) have a decent selection of rental pistols, and (d) are, say, within an hour's drive of Arlington, MA.

Thanks as always for any tips!

you must be an engineer with a screen name like that

OK I'll bite

I am also in the same position, I am just getting started with target shooting, and am looking at some .22 target pistols, as well as .22 rifles.

I am interested in this pistol:

http://www.sigarms.com/products/trailside.asp

which is .22LR caliber.

Anyone have any familiarity with that, or would recommend something comparable that they like?

Re: OK I'll bite

hminsky said:
I am also in the same position, I am just getting started with target shooting, and am looking at some .22 target pistols, as well as .22 rifles.

I am interested in this pistol:

http://www.sigarms.com/products/trailside.asp

which is .22LR caliber.

Anyone have any familiarity with that, or would recommend something comparable that they like?

What state are you in hminsky?

You're kidding? What's the matter with it? It doesn't qualify for one of the MA "quality" requirements, or the manufacturer just threw up their hands and gave up?

http://www.ago.state.ma.us/sp.cfm?pageid=1170

OK, I'm looking at the "approved" list.

I cannot believe this requirement, btw:

Does the handgun have built-in childproofing protection (Section 16.05(2))? If you are unsure whether the handgun meets the Attorney General's childproofing requirements, you can ask the manufacturer. A handgun will meet these childproofing requirements if it contains a mechanism that effectively precludes an average five year-old child from operating the handgun when it is ready to fire, including but not limited to: a trigger resistance of at least a ten-pound pull; a firing mechanism that makes it so that an average five year-old child's hands are too small to operate the handgun; a design where the handgun requires a series of multiple motions in order to fire the handgun; and/or a hammer deactivation device.

I have a circular saw which doesn't meet this requirement. I don't intend to let my five year old operate the thing either.

Is that banned in this state also?
Is there something more than a little bit insane with the gun laws in this state?

[/quote]

Is there something more than a little bit insane with the gun laws in this state?

That's a rhetorical question. [lol]

AG Guns is a nice place and the guys there are great. But they don't have a range.

Greg D. told me that there is a range in the store's basement. Is that only for testing guns that he's repaired?

AG Guns is a nice place and the guys there are great. But they don't have a range.

Greg D. told me that there is a range in the store's basement. Is that only for testing guns that he's repaired?

Really? Well, then I stand corrected.

They used to teach at Lowell Sportsman's, but haven't been teaching there in a while.

Then I thought they were teaching solely through the use of a FATS machine (no live fire). But I could be mistaken, since I have no direct, first-hand knowledge.

They used to teach at Lowell Sportsman's, but haven't been teaching there in a while.

Then I thought they were teaching solely through the use of a FATS machine (no live fire). But I could be mistaken, since I have no direct, first-hand knowledge.

I took the Basic Pistol course at AG recently. They use a simulator. No live fire. There was some discussion in the training thread as to whether this is appropriate or not...

Back
Top Bottom