Looking for a 30-06

ntomsw

Banned
I am looking for a 30-06. Is anyone here selling one? I have called many local gun stores, but haven't come across much. If anyone is selling one, send me a PM.

PM sent.

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

New? Used? Milsurp? Commercial? Action type?

Details will help you in your search.....

used. I do not have funds right now to spend money on brand new. I am not opposed to what brand it is. something in good condition that has been taken care of would be nice. photos as well. I like semi-auto, but would consider bolt action if they make one.

There's a couple of nice M1 Garands at IDC Firearms in Clinton, including a "Tanker" Garand.

Or you could order one from the CMP - www.odcmp.com - assuming you qualify. If you're in MA, I believe that holding an LTC qualifies as proof of marksmanship activity and membership in GOAL satisfies the membership in a marksmanship organization requirement.

$523 shipped for a rack grade Garand, IIRC.

I do not want to spend a lot. I figured I could get something nice for around $400 or less. Like I said, just something cheap but fun to shoot. Like a Remington, etc etc...

I know it is a bit more than you were looking to spend, but check out this brand new Savage at Four Seasons. http://www.fsguns.com/fsg_new_lg.html.

Under $550 and it includes the scope. That is a pretty tough deal to beat.

Take a look at the Classifieds. There was a Winchester model 70 listed for $425 that looks like it might fit the bill

Last edited:
I know it is a bit more than you were looking to spend, but check out this brand new Savage at Four Seasons. http://www.fsguns.com/fsg_new_lg.html.

Under $550 and it includes the scope. That is a pretty tough deal to beat.

Take a look at the Classifieds. There was a Winchester model 70 listed for $425 that looks like it might fit the bill

yes I saw that earlier on the FS website. How does Savage stack up to other companies? I am new to "long guns." do they make descent stuff? any help I will appreciate

I don't think I have ever heard someone say a bad word about Savage bolt action rifles. The Accu-Trigger is sweet.

I don't own one but have shot plenty of them and was impressed with all of them. My bolt rifle is a Remmington 700 SPS in 308, and I am very happy with it.

30-06 is a good round but I like .308 better for my needs. It has a little less recoil and is a flatter shooter. 30-06 has more punch at longer ranges but I don't pretend to be shooting at 1000yrds and don't know of anyplace around here that you can.

Call Blue Northern in Ayer. They have a Remmy 7400 in your price range. I almost bought it last time I was in there. For a little more, they have a nice stainless Ruger 77 in .30-06.

I like .308 better for my needs. It is a flatter shooter.

No it's not.

The .30-06 can develop more velocity than a .308, and it uses the exact same bullets. How can the .308 possibly be a flatter shooter?

Last edited:
I was in the Stateline Gun Shop in Mason, NH over the weekend and they had a few rifles in 30-06 to choose from, the only particular I remember though was a 7400.

No it's not.

The .30-06 can develop more velocity than a .308, and it uses the exact same bullets. How can the .308 possibly be a flatter shooter?

I have always been told that the trajectory of the 308 dropped less than that of the 30-06 out to about 300 yards and everything I have read says that that is the case, so i have always taken it as gospel.

I thought that bullet drop at 300 yards was something like 3" more for the 06, but maybe I shouldn't believe everything I read.

Please educate me.

Please educate me.

Simple. It's all about ballistic coefficient and velocity.

The rate of drop is governed by gravity, so the longer a bullet is in flight, the more it will drop.

If the bullets are the same (same BC), the one that goes faster will drop less because it gets to the target quicker.

You can get slightly higher velocity out of a ,30-06 (compared to a .308) and they use the same bullets, so the .30-06 will will drop less, and therefore shoot flatter.

That's not an opinion, it's physics.

That sure does make a ton of sense.

Why is it everyone always says the 308 is a flatter shooter?

How about bullet rise?

Thanks for the lesson

I don't know. Probably because somebody typed it once on the internet, and everybody has been repeating it since.

Bullets don't rise, but if they did, they'd rise more out of a .30-06

This one is off the rails.

^[rofl]^

Sent from the Hyundai of the droids, the Samsung Replenish, using Tapatalk.

I do not want to spend a lot. I figured I could get something nice for around $400 or less. Like I said, just something cheap but fun to shoot. Like a Remington, etc etc...

I think the problem you are having here (if you really want a recommendation) - is that your question is sort of similar to asking:

I need to buy a pair of shoes- what do you recommend?

Man? Woman? Boy? Girl? Sneaker? Boot? Moccasin? Flip-Flop? Red? Sandal? Dress Shoe? High Heel? Workboot? Brown? Running Shoe? Basketball Sneaker? Hiking Boot? White? Velcro Tie? Lug Sole?

found a rifle last night. Thanks everyone for the input. Found a Ruger M77 .243 for short money from someone at my work. I'm a fan of Ruger so it all works out. Thanks again everyone. Now I just need to find an XD45

found a rifle last night. Thanks everyone for the input. Found a Ruger M77 .243 for short money from someone at my work. I'm a fan of Ruger so it all works out. Thanks again everyone. Now I just need to find an XD45

Glad to see all the recommmendations worked out! [laugh]

good shooting, whatever you shoot!

Back
Top Bottom