• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a 1k yard range. Anyone?

I've also long been looking for a convinent place to shoot beyond 300 or so; New Bedford is a bit of a trek from Harvard area.

Trying to get on Devons is on my todo list, but I'd make fast friends with anyone who has a 1000 yard backyard :)

Sweetjeep, are you testing the same thing that was being tested at HSC's 300 a year or so ago?

Last edited:
I know the cleared area only goes to 500 ;) I shoot there a lot. Look closely, there's a perfectly straight path that goes into the woods and the trees along that aren't even. That's the area I was talking about being overgrown.

How big is the gong sitting on the 500 yard berm? I've been tempted to try to ring that but have stuck to the steel shapes at 200 yards so far. When is the next egg shoot? What distance do they do that at?

They might as well cut a dirt road and have you drive out if they're going to do a berm at 1k.

I can't seem to find the email with the dates for this year so I emailed Roy. When he gets back to me I'll PM them to you. If you go to his site RVB Precision | Welcome to the world of ultra precision you can send him an email asking to be put on the mailing list for the shoots, They are a blast. They shoot eggs at 100yd. rimfire only and 9x max zoom. Centerfire at 200 and 300 with no limit on the zoom. They also have a pistol class that usually runs during one of the other shoots. It is worth going to just to see father son, father daughter, etc.. out shooting together.

As for the 500yd gong. I think it is 12in if it is the one I am thinking of. My 10/22 will ring the 300 with iron sights and a "bit" of kentucky windage and my base model Rem 700 will hit the 500 every time. Nothing fancy about the R700 just the basic 1/12 varmint barrel in the factory non-freefloat stock throwing 55gr federal bulk. So just throw some out there you have nothing to loose except the bullet!

Sweet, thanks for the info Wrench and center.

I guess I have a goal to get my .30-06 + cast boolit loads fine tuned by [grin]

You could talk to some farm land owners there is some old proving grounds near me that have over 1000 yds we pheasant hunt there with shotguns but I'm not sure about using 10/22's those things are insane.

Cmon, this WHOLE thread was just a setup so you could use this line!!!!

hahahahahaha. Nope. ;) I could have just lied and said I am a super badass and that Acme was bored with his .50 and gave it to me!

- - - Updated - - -

TheRoland Sweetjeep said:
Honestly, I do not know. I wasn't with the company last year. Though I have my doubts as I have yet to see any evidence that we have ever done testing at Harvard.

I believe that Devens long range had the capability years ago for over 1000yds.

devens_long.jpg

Close up of lanes (targets are at 50 feet in photo).

devens_long_close.jpg

Some history

The 10th SFG was the leading force behind the development of the M25 sniper rifle in the late 1980s, at Fort Devens. The rifle is an improvement on the previous M21 sniper rifle, itself a modification of the M14 semi-automatic rifle.

Last edited:
I was just looking at some historic photos of the New Bedford range and back in the sixties there was a small sliver that went all the way up to 1000 yards

I thought the 203 range was to the right of Golf range, when looking down range. When I was there, that are was off limits due to uxo.

The Devens facilities are all listed in extreme detail on the web site; there are multiple options past 1000 yards, but Golf is afaik where all of the highpower matches used to be and it's only out to 600. It also says "The only firing of privately owned weapons is in conjunction with the Fort Devens Rifle and Pistol Club", which I didn't think was a going concern. Still, there's a phone number for the club if somebody wants to call it:

https://www.devens.army.mil/Devens_Staff/Training/range-FAQ.html

There's also a rumor that keeps coming up about shooting 1000 at Camp Edwards, but I think somebody's confused.

the schedule will be out shortly - here's the address:
Ft Devens Rifle & Pistol Club Inc
P.O. Box 149
Still River, MA 01467

Back
Top Bottom