• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Looking for a 1k yard range. Anyone?

Pat: Thanks.

Devens isn't the range system it used to be.

I thought Reading had a long distance range too (like 500y is something to sneeze at :) ).

And to : Jasons - The title is 1k range which is the "max" we need, but I posed the question of ore than 500 yards as the range at Devens goes to 500, but no more.

Reading Rifle has a 600 yard range. It breaks down to 200, 300, 400, and 600 so you can move back as you work up your dope. nicely maintained and they are rehabbing the target pits with all new equipment and target holders.

Copicut in dartmouth is pretty long range. Im not sure exactly how far but years ago I used to watch military rifle matches there.

Pat: Thanks.

Devens isn't the range system it used to be.

I thought Reading had a long distance range too (like 500y is something to sneeze at :) ).

And to : Jasons - The title is 1k range which is the "max" we need, but I posed the question of ore than 500 yards as the range at Devens goes to 500, but no more.

Golf range was a KD range out to 600 yards. Hotel was an mg range out to 1200 yards. Have those ranges been changed

Reading Rifle has a 600 yard range. It breaks down to 200, 300, 400, and 600 so you can move back as you work up your dope. nicely maintained and they are rehabbing the target pits with all new equipment and target holders.

there is no 400yd line @ Reading, nor provisions to shoot @ 400 yards. there is talk of adding a half-line @ 500 yards (for team match practices, havent heard whether or not they're going to extend it full length)

I was at the range owned by New Bedford in Dartmouth MA a month or so ago and the range officer told me that they were contemplating lengthening the range to what it used to be, he was unsure of the yardage and details of it, give them a call.

Golf range was a KD range out to 600
Hotel was an mg range out to 1200 yards. Have those ranges been changed

I was like, a range at a Hotel or golf corse? Duh, phonetics...

anyway, could you at one time shoot at Devens? I live right next to there. That would have been cool. At the farm in Maine I can get about 500 yards safely.

Golf range was a KD range out to 600 yards. Hotel was an mg range out to 1200 yards. Have those ranges been changed

Golf range is the know distance out to 600meters (I believe there is an 800 position but not used because of proximity to the road), Hotel range is 800 meter machine gun range w/fighting positions/ fox hole

I was at the range owned by New Bedford in Dartmouth MA a month or so ago and the range officer told me that they were contemplating lengthening the range to what it used to be, he was unsure of the yardage and details of it, give them a call.
It used to go all the way to 1k. If you look on Google Maps with satellite view you can see it. It's still there, just very overgrown.

With the way those guys always bitch about $, it is probably just a pipe dream unless NB decides the PD need it.

edit: I'm in a loving mood - http://goo.gl/maps/V82l8

Last edited:
1903Collector said:
Isn't there a 500 in New Bedford or N. Dartmouth? Woodcock I think.
Yes, and it is a pretty awesome range for the money.

+1

Aye nice place, good guys and they host 4 long range(100-300yd) egg shoots 4 times a year. Those are a good time.

You said you need a "controlled" place not someones backyard pinking spot. What is your definition of "controlled"? If all you need is to have a NRA certified Chief Range Officer or the like to be present just to make whatever you are doing "official" then you may be able to find some combination of place and person on the forum to get it done. Some more details as to your requirements, other than 1K yds, and what it is you are trying to do would help.

I believe KAG is correct, though I think the shooting positions at Golf are only 500m. I could be mistaken though. I am not sure the length of Hotel. But it isn't entirely conducive to the transit of equipment to and from either end of the length of itself. :(

I believe KAG is correct, though I think the shooting positions at Golf are only 500m. I could be mistaken though.

Back when I shot high power on Golf, we shot across the course matches at 200, 300, and 600. I also shot a long distance match at 600. Perhaps it has changed, but at the time it certainly did go to 600. 600 was all the way out near the road. devens, ma - Google Maps

+1

Aye nice place, good guys and they host 4 long range(100-300yd) egg shoots 4 times a year. Those are a good time.

You said you need a "controlled" place not someones backyard pinking spot. What is your definition of "controlled"? If all you need is to have a NRA certified Chief Range Officer or the like to be present just to make whatever you are doing "official" then you may be able to find some combination of place and person on the forum to get it done. Some more details as to your requirements, other than 1K yds, and what it is you are trying to do would help.

I can't really share what we're doing. When I say controlled I mean, I can go out to some local sandpits and shoot. The I know the likelihood of a dirtbike or hiker coming across my range are minimal. But this is for professional work and "a likelihood" of someone poking their head out isn't good enough. So somewhere that is an "actual" range has to be used. So there in the event that some jackass decides that his 82 Chevette REALLY CAN jump a sand dune, that sand dune isn't likely to be on the other side of where we are shooting. Plus being able to be in a controlled location is nice so it can be controlled as to whom is viewing what we are doing. If this all makes sense. At Devens we rent the place and all is well and good. "At the sandpit behind my house", I have a couple hundred to a few thousand yards I can shoot but I can't control (as easily) a guy and his dog out for a walk in the woods.

Regardless.. it appears that my understanding of some really long range ranges locally was mistaken! Though, honestly, 600 yards is a LONG ways and I can't say I have never been guilty of gross exaggeration either. :)

It used to go all the way to 1k. If you look on Google Maps with satellite view you can see it. It's still there, just very overgrown.

With the way those guys always bitch about $, it is probably just a pipe dream unless NB decides the PD need it.

edit: I'm in a loving mood - 41.58282,-71.009467 - Google Maps

Actually the entire cleared area shown on that link only goes out to 500yrds. The large cleared area near the clubhouse goes out to 200. Just past that on the right hand side of the next small cleared area is the 300yrd berm. Then the end of the narrow cleared area is the 500yrd berm. Nothing but trees, trees, trees past 500. I agree that they will probably never do it. If they did it would probably be a small strip on the LEO only side of the range. They have enough problems when someone wants to set a target at 500. They have to shut down all the ranges and have person go stand at each one while it takes the shooters 10 min to go out set the target and come back. Even something as simple as a golf cart to take back and forth would cut the time in half.

Actually the entire cleared area shown on that link only goes out to 500yrds. The large cleared area near the clubhouse goes out to 200. Just past that on the right hand side of the next small cleared area is the 300yrd berm. Then the end of the narrow cleared area is the 500yrd berm. Nothing but trees, trees, trees past 500. I agree that they will probably never do it. If they did it would probably be a small strip on the LEO only side of the range. They have enough problems when someone wants to set a target at 500. They have to shut down all the ranges and have person go stand at each one while it takes the shooters 10 min to go out set the target and come back. Even something as simple as a golf cart to take back and forth would cut the time in half.
I know the cleared area only goes to 500 ;) I shoot there a lot. Look closely, there's a perfectly straight path that goes into the woods and the trees along that aren't even. That's the area I was talking about being overgrown.

How big is the gong sitting on the 500 yard berm? I've been tempted to try to ring that but have stuck to the steel shapes at 200 yards so far. When is the next egg shoot? What distance do they do that at?

They might as well cut a dirt road and have you drive out if they're going to do a berm at 1k.

Back when I shot high power on Golf, we shot across the course matches at 200, 300, and 600. I also shot a long distance match at 600. Perhaps it has changed, but at the time it certainly did go to 600. 600 was all the way out near the road. devens, ma - Google Maps

There are yard lines and and there are meters, I think you're correct the farthest one back is 600 yards, and then the next one facing down range is the 500 meter. Any ways is freakin far!!

I can't really share what we're doing. When I say controlled I mean, I can go out to some local sandpits and shoot. The I know the likelihood of a dirtbike or hiker coming across my range are minimal. But this is for professional work and "a likelihood" of someone poking their head out isn't good enough. So somewhere that is an "actual" range has to be used. So there in the event that some jackass decides that his 82 Chevette REALLY CAN jump a sand dune, that sand dune isn't likely to be on the other side of where we are shooting. Plus being able to be in a controlled location is nice so it can be controlled as to whom is viewing what we are doing. If this all makes sense. At Devens we rent the place and all is well and good. "At the sandpit behind my house", I have a couple hundred to a few thousand yards I can shoot but I can't control (as easily) a guy and his dog out for a walk in the woods.

Regardless.. it appears that my understanding of some really long range ranges locally was mistaken! Though, honestly, 600 yards is a LONG ways and I can't say I have never been guilty of gross exaggeration either. :)

If I'm not mistaken, this is about to get interesting.

Hamilton R&G in Sturbridge,Ma. was going to have a 600 yd. range but then they changed it to 500 and last I heard they were still working on it and it was going slowly due to finances.

I hadn't heard that. Nice, I hope it eventually happens. Woodcock used to be 1,000 yeards, IIRC. They shortened it because of houses being built beyond the 'landing zone.' That's also the reason they don't allow handguns on that part of the range, to prevent bullet skip. I would love to see them extend it to 1000 yards but they're going to need one hell of a berm.

Currently you can probably get out to about 600 yards at Woodcock if you use the old wood target stands on the small berm beyond the 500 yard line. Ask one of the RO's about it.

Back
Top Bottom