• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Long time Ruger fan irritated with Ruger customer service

hillman

NES Member
I love Rugers. I have 4 Ruger pistols right now, but I've probably owned at least 20 over the last 10 years. Unfortunately, of the last 4 that I've bought, three, including my newest SR45 needed service. My LC9 was producing light primer strikes, Customer service overnighted me a brand new slide assembly, fixed the problem right away. One of my SR9cs had an issue where the striker plate cover wasn't right and actually shipped from the factory broken in half. They took the gun back and had it back to me repaired in about six days, sent me a couple of cleaning rugs and a few other things to go with it.

Thursday I bought my new SR45. It actually looks like it was manufactured in October of 2013. First round out of my 3rd magazine was a FTE. and so on, one in every 15 or 20 rounds, with either magazine, using WWB for the first 200 rounds. Then the next 50 rounds were Tulammo. Same rate of FTE. Also one of the magazines appeared to have a chink in it and wouldn't feed the first round correctly. (this was independent of the FTE issue).

So having complete faith in Ruger, I called them this morning. The tool who I talked to, after explaining to him 1 in 15 to 20 rounds was a FTE, he came back with "Sir, a 3% FTE rate is perfectly acceptable"...

Well, after giving him a quick math lesson, and I friggin' HATE math (my wife is a math teacher!), I explained to him that the ONLY acceptable FTE rate was 0%! He then told me the issue was that I used Tulammo... AFTER I explained to him the problem happened well before that.

I also explained to him about the fact that there is a half moon shape indent on the front of the extractor, which is NOT present on my SR9cs, he said those were normal... Eh, maybe, I can't really refute that one but it LOOKS like it slammed in to the rear of the cartridge and mashed itself good.

THEN I told him about the magazine issue, carefully explaining that BOTH magazines produced the same FTE rate, and he decided the FTE issue was from the magazine not feeding the top round correctly. Seriously, it was like talking to tech support when they keep asking you if the computer is plugged in and if the little green light is on!

Finally, at the end, he said "Send it in, we will evaluate it. IF there are no problems AS I SUSPECT, we will contact you and charge you."

WTF? I have never had these issues with Ruger Customer Service before. I am seriously pissed off at this point, and questioning my loyalty to Ruger. Hell I've got an old P89 that I simply can not kill, and now my last three pistols need service? I'm starting to feel less and less comfortable with their lack of real warranty.

The majority of Ruger customer service stories end well.

I have a SR45 that I bought a few months ago. It has been flawless, with over 800 rounds thru it.

I have used Federal, Winchester, Fiocchi, PMC, Cor-Bon, Hornady, and Remington without an issue.

Stay calm, and they will get it fixed for you.

If those were the kind of responses you received from this guy, along with the positive experiences from the company in the past I think I would have just requested a supervisor to speak with. Hope everything turns out OK.

I only own a 10/22 from them but am looking at getting a SRC9 soon.

must have caught someone having a bad day. I've only had 1 experience with their customer service when I had to send my SR22 back, & they were nothing but spectacular.

shouldn't have told him you were shooting tula ammo if you knew %100 it wasn't the cause of your issue. deny deny deny and pass the buck when it comes to that shit. any modern production handgun should be able to eat whatever ammo you throw into it.

I love Rugers. I have 4 Ruger pistols right now, but I've probably owned at least 20 over the last 10 years. Unfortunately, of the last 4 that I've bought, three, including my newest SR45 needed service. My LC9 was producing light primer strikes, Customer service overnighted me a brand new slide assembly, fixed the problem right away. One of my SR9cs had an issue where the striker plate cover wasn't right and actually shipped from the factory broken in half. They took the gun back and had it back to me repaired in about six days, sent me a couple of cleaning rugs and a few other things to go with it.

Thursday I bought my new SR45. It actually looks like it was manufactured in October of 2013. First round out of my 3rd magazine was a FTE. and so on, one in every 15 or 20 rounds, with either magazine, using WWB for the first 200 rounds. Then the next 50 rounds were Tulammo. Same rate of FTE. Also one of the magazines appeared to have a chink in it and wouldn't feed the first round correctly. (this was independent of the FTE issue).

So having complete faith in Ruger, I called them this morning. The tool who I talked to, after explaining to him 1 in 15 to 20 rounds was a FTE, he came back with "Sir, a 3% FTE rate is perfectly acceptable"...

Well, after giving him a quick math lesson, and I friggin' HATE math (my wife is a math teacher!), I explained to him that the ONLY acceptable FTE rate was 0%! He then told me the issue was that I used Tulammo... AFTER I explained to him the problem happened well before that.

I also explained to him about the fact that there is a half moon shape indent on the front of the extractor, which is NOT present on my SR9cs, he said those were normal... Eh, maybe, I can't really refute that one but it LOOKS like it slammed in to the rear of the cartridge and mashed itself good.

THEN I told him about the magazine issue, carefully explaining that BOTH magazines produced the same FTE rate, and he decided the FTE issue was from the magazine not feeding the top round correctly. Seriously, it was like talking to tech support when they keep asking you if the computer is plugged in and if the little green light is on!

Finally, at the end, he said "Send it in, we will evaluate it. IF there are no problems AS I SUSPECT, we will contact you and charge you."

WTF? I have never had these issues with Ruger Customer Service before. I am seriously pissed off at this point, and questioning my loyalty to Ruger. Hell I've got an old P89 that I simply can not kill, and now my last three pistols need service? I'm starting to feel less and less comfortable with their lack of real warranty.
Every company has good and bad reps. When I get a Bozo like that, I just call back to get someone else. There is generally a small group of people who answer the phone. Sounds like you got the Bozo

I have talked with Ruger a few times for some small issues with my SR22 Pistol, I have never had an issue with customer service, call back and see what happens, if you caught the persons name I would say something, it might help the next guy.

Tim

I just had to ship back my SR9 for an is with the lower cam block pin drifting out while firing. The guy I talked to was great, name address, serial number ok send it back we will take a look and repair it. Was on the phone for all of 10 minutes.

Hope everything works out for you! Does sound like you got a guy on a bad day..

$100 more for a comparable pistol, and then I have to spend another $100 more for an acceptable trigger? My experience with Ruger CS has always been great in the past. I'm HOPING this is just an off day for them.

Yup. IMHO even with a trigger job the SR series dominates M&P.

Yes we know cops carry the Smiths. Oh well.

Ruger CS is excellent. They're known for that.

Have a problem with customer service? Make a post on NEMS questioning loyalty to a brand rather than informing his manager so they are aware of an issue.

My experience with Ruger was top notch the one time I needed help. I would chalk this up to the one guy being an idiot and raise it up to their supervisor. I would not completely write off Ruger.

We need more responses about how others SR45 never had a problem/Ruger CS never failed them. Cuz they totally help and are needed.

We need more responses about how others SR45 never had a problem/Ruger CS never failed them. Cuz they totally help and are needed.

I think every post in this thread belongs here.. Do you just want a flame ruger thread? Because that will help in any way shape or form?

The slide on my sr1911 had what looked like spots of rust on it. They told me it was because I don't store it properly. They still replaced the slide and sent me a ruger cleaning cloth. I wasn't the only person on NES that had the spotting issue on their sr1911. The replacement was fast and hassle free but got a little irritated that they put the blame on me.

No matter how bad Ruger's customer service is it can't be any worse Sig's customer service department. Based on my own personal experience Sig is without a doubt the worst in the firearms industry.

Whether it is 1-100, 1-1000 or 1-1000000 someone has to experience the anomaly. This time it was you. It sux that it had to be you but it had to be someone. Ruger CS is absolutely topnotch. You must have just ended up talking to the wrong guy that day. Chances are that the armorer that gets you gun will be more competent and would probably rather repair the gun and get paid than try to blow it off. I wouldn't go quitting ruger just because of one bad experience. Especially in light of the fact that they make some fine firearms. 99+% of the time dealing with their CS is a breeze.

Don't sweat it. I would be exceedingly surprised if Ruger didn't make it right. Hell they'll probably throw you a couple extra mags for your trouble.

$100 more for a comparable pistol, and then I have to spend another $100 more for an acceptable trigger? My experience with Ruger CS has always been great in the past. I'm HOPING this is just an off day for them.

If as you said in the end of your OP that your last 3 Ruger's have all had issues, are they REALLY comparable? You question your loyalty to the brand in the same thread as you mention multiple major issues with their product yet seem insulted when others suggest maybe buying another brand?!

IMHO, I have no interest in brand loyalty... I do have an interest in products that work with minimal BS, no matter what brand is on the box they come in

Both S&W and Ruger CS are excellent. Maybe you just got a douchebag. Try again tomorrow morning and speak to someone else.

I love my Ruger firearms, and when I have had an issue, they jump through hoops for me to make it right.

I think, after having calmed down about the CS reps attitude, the biggest concern I have is that he told me that 3 percent FTE is an acceptable rate. THAT'S why I posted about it. I think that is an important thing for people to know.

I sent the sr45 out yesterday. We will see what happens. I never keep a gun I don't have 100% faith in, though.

The sad thing is that most ruger buyers probably think 3% is OK. [thinking] That's probably why their support guy gets away with saying stupid crap like that.

Ruger generally makes a decent product but I can't help but think that the SR series really has a fisher price feel to it, and it'll never shed that image in my mind. It's something that they developed well but not that extra 10% required to really be taken seriously. They'd be making a killing if they took that lineup, refined it, and offered a "sans crap" version without all the safety lard gayness in it, etc... maybe tighten up the reset at bit. The guns also weigh too much for what they are, too, but that part I think most people can live with, given the price point.

-Mike

I have owned 4 SR9c pistols. Two I traded before getting a chance to fire either one of them. The other two I own now. One I had to send in for a striker plate cover coming from the factory broken. I replaced the guiderods and springs on both with Galloway Precision parts, and feel absolutely comfortable carrying either one now. This is my second SR45, and I'm not so sure about this model.

I sent an email to Customer Service this morning detailing my conversation. I'll post if I get a response. I absolutely would buy Smith and Wessons more but I hate having to get trigger jobs done. My wife's shield is miserable to shoot compared to my SR9cs. The trigger, I mean.

I got an email and a phone call from Ruger yesterday, both saying the same thing. They absolutely do not have an acceptable rate for any kind of failure, and that the rep that I spoke to has been "corrected". The tech who called me said that a supervisor had spoken to the rep I originally talked to and apologized to me for the incorrect information that had been passed on to me. He also said that he had personally flagged my SR45 and would be taking care of it himself when it arrived. And then for my trouble, he overnighted me two brand new mags for my SR45. I appreciate the good customer service response. I did send two pretty angry emails, one to customer service, one to the sales department. The sales dept. email was the one that they responded to first, interestingly enough.

Ruger customer service is the best in the business. I've had them repair revolvers in LESS THAN A WEEK and received free gifts whenever I have sent them back. They are also usually willing to send replacement parts...something S&W would never do.

Bill Ruger would be proud to know today's company. They are beating the crap out of S&W in the quality control and sales departments and frankly they get their products to market much more efficiently. I'd have to say in my experience, both as a Ruger customer and dealer, they are currently the #1 non custom gun maker out there (for these combined reasons).

Back
Top Bottom