Long range walkie-talkie/radio

je25ff

NES Member
So I've been looking at some 30 mile + handheld radios and am a bit surprised that some are under $100. Here's an example:

Amazon.com: Motorola MR350RVP 2-Way FRS/GMRS Radio, Value Pack: Electronics

I guess I expected something more costly or the answer to be 'ham radio' or, 'that's beyond line of sight'. It's ironic that my father was an Army Colonel in the signal corps at one point and I have no clue about this stuff (I remember being in his office and he had a pogo stick with a radio strapped to it as a joke) I guess it's not genetic [sad2]

I'm really just looking for something hand held, long range, and reliable. Any thoughts?

30 miles with gmrs might be possible over water, no obstructions, with a tailwind, when mercury is retrograde and when sun-spot activity is optimal. Unfortunately, you won't get the range or the quality from the radios you are posting about.

30 miles with gmrs might be possible over water, no obstructions, with a tailwind, when mercury is retrograde and when sun-spot activity is optimal. Unfortunately, you won't get the range or the quality from the radios you are posting about.

That's what I figured. What do you think would be the best option to have if you want to be able to keep in touch with anyone at about 30 miles? If it's shortwave, that might do the trick? Then again, that won't be hand held and would require the other person to have a setup right?

I guess I'm just looking to maximize my range and minimize my infrastructure. Basically, the universal struggle in technology [wink]

It may not be the path you want... But, technician class HAM is pretty easy to get since the code requirement was dropped. It will open up several frequency choices for you and radios can be had for very reasonable prices in the 2-meter and similar frequencies. Do some research... I think you will be happy you did. PM me about what area you live in and perhaps I may know who to send you to visit.

It may not be the path you want... But, technician class HAM is pretty easy to get since the code requirement was dropped. It will open up several frequency choices for you and radios can be had for very reasonable prices in the 2-meter and similar frequencies. Do some research... I think you will be happy you did. PM me about what area you live in and perhaps I may know who to send you to visit.

Gotcha. Thanks, man.

So after a bit of research, you're limited by line of sight and, if there is a repeater, you're limited by the height and location of the repeater (as is your own setup and antenna) This might be able to get a signal out 12 miles under ideal topographical circumstances without a repeater:

Amazon.com: Yaesu FT-2900R 75 Watt 2 Meter VHF Mobile Transceiver Amateur Ham Radio: Car Electronics

This also requires a license to use, but I've read that it's a short test and not too difficult to get the basics. I honestly think that a good radio is essential in a prepper plan. I'd need to get a decent antenna that can be mobile as well.

I've read that it's a short test and not too difficult to get the basics.

If you dedicate eight hours to the project, you can pass the test.

I did the Tech in a Day program with the Cape Ann Amateur Radio Association. It was a directed study program with the test at the end.

I also picked up a Baofeng UV-5R radio for $40 while I was there.

If you dedicate eight hours to the project, you can pass the test.

I did the Tech in a Day program with the Cape Ann Amateur Radio Association. It was a directed study program with the test at the end.

I also picked up a Baofeng UV-5R radio for $40 while I was there.

How do you like that Baofeng? The reviews on slickguns.com and Amazon makes the radio sound decent. Is there any negatives that you have come across?

Antenna choice can go a long way (no pun intended). I can light up the repeater on the top of the Pru with a homemade copper J-pole from my house with a 5 watt HT. That repeater is 30 miles away. I am on a hill and there are no obstructions between me and the repeater.

If terrain is right and you have a good antenna there is no reason that you can't get out 30 miles (or more) with a HT.

If you just want a mobile that will do that, you'd be hard pressed to get that type range.

The Baofeng are decent. I have a few and they all perform well. For the money they are a steal.

If you truly want to get out there, independent of your local geography, NVIS on something like 20 meters HAM band is the way to do it. You can get a few hundred miles' range with this approach, as the radio waves bounce off one of the layers of atmosphere and back down. Not as portable as an HT/walkie talkie, but usually an antenna can be set up in ten minutes or so.

Many people make homemade versions of this military antenna.

Best would be a combination of a 2m HT for very short distances, and one of these NVIS antennas for the rest.

Willie - what frequencies does your j pole support? How hard was it to make and tune? What kind of performance (aside from the 2m performance you mentioned) do you get?

Right now, what I've got is a 2m dipole inside my house, hanging from the ceiling and a 20m dipole draped over the crest of my roof.

If you truly want to get out there, independent of your local geography, NVIS on something like 20 meters HAM band is the way to do it. You can get a few hundred miles' range with this approach, as the radio waves bounce off one of the layers of atmosphere and back down. Not as portable as an HT/walkie talkie, but usually an antenna can be set up in ten minutes or so.

Best would be a combination of a 2m HT for very short distances, and one of these NVIS antennas for the rest.

Willie - what frequencies does your j pole support? How hard was it to make and tune? What kind of performance (aside from the 2m performance you mentioned) do you get?

Right now, what I've got is a 2m dipole inside my house, hanging from the ceiling and a 20m dipole draped over the crest of my roof.

MUF for NVIS averages between 2 and 13MHZ, 20M aint gonna cut it unless he is trying to contact the moon. NVIS is reliable on 40 and 80 depending on the time of the day.

Last edited:

It's primarily 2m but I have worked 70cm on it with reasonable results. I've used it to monitor the public safety/police freqs and I easily get Boston (460.400) that's 30 miles from my house. If you can solder copper tubing you can make this J pole. Tuning it is really trial and error but with a little patience you can get the SWR below 1.5 across the whole 2m band. I've talked to the wife on a simplex channel we use while she was in Franklin (about 10 miles) with a UV-5R connected to it. You can buy everything you need to build it in the pluming section of any hardware store except for the SO239. I like it because it's made of copper so it's sturdy, very light and small enough to bug out with. I think it cost me about $15 in material to build. I'll try to take a picture of it and post it. I got the dimensions off the interwebz and futzed around with it from there. It's not pretty but it works damn good.

Last edited:
When the SHTF you may not have repeaters to count on. A 5 watt GMRS and a 75 Watt mobile 2M rig with a 5/8 wave whip antenna on the roof will do a lot. Jack W1FKG.

Yep! Exactly the way I'm set up (4 UV-5R's and a Yaesu FT-2900R with a 5/8 wave on the Jeep, a portable 13.9V, 35 AMP power supply and a J-pole that I can hook the FT-2900R up to for base operation).

To the OP, if you do decide to get the Beofeng uv-5R, be sure to get the s/w and USB cable. This makes it easier to program until you get use to manual programming. UV-5R's are sold both on Amazon and Ebay. They can be had for about $35 and sometimes less. I have a couple and they are a good radio for the price. You can get FM radio stations, Police scanning stations as well as the UHF and VHF needed for Ham calls. BE SURE NOT TO TRANSMIT ON THE POLICE FREQ'S. IT'S AGAINST THE LAW.

They also come in a variety of colors.

Back
Top Bottom