Long gun transfer question

cad

My brother lives in NY and bought a Savage 300 wsm rifle a couple years ago. He said he doesn't like it and I could have it if i want.
Just to clarify, he needs to take it to a FFL in NY and have them send it to a FFL here, where I'll pick it up, correct? I can't just drive out there, pick it up, and register it here when I return?

Per Fed Law, you could drive to NY and both of you could go to a NY FFL and you could do the transfer there, submit an FA-10 "registration" when you bring it back to MA.

NY Law may or may not allow this, so you'll need to research it.

Also per Fed Law, he could ship direct to a MA FFL and you could do the transfer there. However, many FFLs will refuse any shipment unless it was shipped from an FFL (no legal requirement for this, but they are free to do business any way they please as long as they don't violate the laws).

I do know that Carl at Four Seasons WILL accept a shipment direct from a non-FFL, since I specifically asked him about this several months ago. You might find a similarly cooperative FFL nearer to you that will do the same for you.

Back
Top Bottom