• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Loaded magazine transport

Hi folks,

Are there any laws in MA regarding transporting loaded rifle magazines in one's vehicle? (I did a search and couldn't find anything on it - sorry if it has been addressed before!)

If it is illegal I'll just have to invest in a bunch of stripper clips and stripper guides...

Thanks!

Hi folks,

Are there any laws in MA regarding transporting loaded rifle magazines in one's vehicle? (I did a search and couldn't find anything on it - sorry if it has been addressed before!)

If it is illegal I'll just have to invest in a bunch of stripper clips and stripper guides...

Thanks!

No such law in MA. HOWEVER, some states do have such a law and oftentimes it is worded such that stripper clips would also be illegal.

Shouldn't be a problem in MA, and likely most of the rest of new england.

California is the only state I know of which has that BS in their
laws... apparently a loaded pistol mag in CA is considered a loaded firearm or
some BS. There might be more states, most of which are probably states where
you wouldn't want to be anyways.

-Mike

Good question but can someone tell me if having a magazine with rounds in it 24/7 is bad for the spring?

The general consensus amongst the gunsmithing/tactical crowd seems to be that leaving a magazine loaded is not bad for the springs. Where they wear out is in the loading/unloading (i.e., flexing the spring). But I think that most shooters would not approach the number of cycles needed to wear out a (quality) spring for many years.

Back
Top Bottom