LnL problems solved

Fixxah

NES Member
I bought LnL after considering price (and 1,000 free bullets). Initially invested $732 and change for press with casefeeder, Hornady dies, and shell plate. When I set it all up, I found out that I needed a pistol rotor, and when it arrived it would not fit all the way into the bore in the powder setup. I called Hornady CS and talked to Todd,[smile] who said he would send a new rotor assy. ASAP which was when I needed it. After I waited a few days,[frown] I used fine emery cloth and took enough material from defective rotor to reload ammo I had promised. When new rotor finally arrived, it fit like it should (no charge) and works well. Other issues were: casefeeder would stack some brass upside down, this was also contributing to jamming of many cases in funnel.... fixed this by making an extension out of aluminum flashing, a z-bend for side of funnel that flipped cases.... powder assembly would always back out bushing while in use, this was corrected using an o-ring of a larger size and smaller diameter... It works flawlessly now.[smile]

Mod, Being new to this forum, I hope I haven't posted in the wrong place. I will be loading .30-06 in the near future as well.

Glad it's good for you now. You should use a powder cop too. It's a huge plus having a 5 stage auto indexing press- still while seating and crimping separately.

I just received my powder cop, and thanks for movin post here. I'm pouring powder through expander as well. Johnny

UPS just dropped off my 1,000 bullets (.451 230 GR HP/XTP) but there is no cannulare, so I was wondering about crimping. I have seen other HP rounds with a line around the case below the seated bullet. Do I need to buy more equipment or different brass?
I am currently loading once fired Winchester for combat league.

The cannelure is only necessary for rounds that you intend to roll crimp. You don't roll crimp autoloader rounds (like the .45 ACP) - you use a taper crimp. It's not really a "crimp"; all you want to do with a taper crimp is to flatten out any belling left over from the powder through expander.

A roll crimp (and a cannelured bullet) become necessary when you start loading magnum revolver rounds.

Could you please expound a little bit about why the cannalure and role crimp are necessary when loading magnum revolver rounds. Don't want to make foolish mistakes and appreciate learning from others experience. thanks

Could you please expound a little bit about why the cannalure and role crimp are necessary when loading magnum revolver rounds. Don't want to make foolish mistakes and appreciate learning from others experience. thanks

Recoil on a wheel gun can cause the bullet to "come out a bit"- which could cause jams. Not a big problem with auto (for the most part) because a fair amount of recoil is absorbed by the slide... not the case with a wheel gun. That's what I've been told.

If you shot one of EC's loads in his big guns.... you'd be surprised the bullets all don't come out... and your wrist isn't broke!

Thanks for the info. The hollow points fit nice and snug in their cases and I cant push them in with thumb pressure.

Somebody left a couple live HP rounds on range and when I went to put them in lock box, I saw they had that ring that I mentioned below bullet and thought that maybe I was missing a step in loading cycle. I wouldn't try anything that is not the norm with the crew at Walpole S.A.

Back
Top Bottom