• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Brass sticking in the powder funnel. Solved

NH Phantom

NES Member
Ive been setting up my reloading room for a couple months now. I started loading some 45 acp on my dillon 750 to maks sure everything is dialed in and set up new toolheads. Brass was sticking really bad in the powder funnel. I came across a video on youtube by Modifier 472.
I cut the end of the funnel off about 3/16 of in inch with a grinder and the tube chucked in my drill press. Beveled the end. Sanded the end with 180, 320, 600, and 1200 paper. Then polished the end with some metal polish I had on hand. Took about 10 minutes total. This thing now works awesome. Check out his video if interested. Will be adding a bunch of pics of my room when finished soon.

i did it easier way. took a piece of brass into a drill. applied metal polish to it. and then ran it against the funnel secured in the vise. did the same thing.

the finish of a lot of dillon parts there is shit. but, it is what it is. there were several things that needed some alterations, but, it was a while ago, i do not even recall now.
i posted about the alterations for powder measures i did - look it up, it improves how it all works by a mile - actually it makes it back to how it worked on 550, i think.

Here, took a picture

4290FA9D-C266-4D6B-AD84-3990CBF921FA.jpeg

Last edited:
What am I suppose to be looking at here?
makes no sense? hmm. ok.

you remove rod contraptio that moves the measure, it improves stability of the drop. it is how it worked on 550, as i understand.
instead of rubber bands one can use a metal spring, if desired.
1668695205936.png

Get a Hornady powder setup and be done with it.
it is not that great, i have both. for varget dillon works better.
for long grain stuff, like R16 - hornady is kinda better. but to setup hornady to be accurate with drops is a major pita and once set and tightened - it is not a good idea to touch it.
i have it setup for my 6.5cm loads - with teflon tape and other idiotic things to keep the measuring stick in its drum from moving - and it got very stable for me now, but it is not anymore truly adjustable.

dillon bars are way more fluid if you need to alter loads.

And the damn thing rusts.
78E22D1E-A938-4530-AED2-8D237559CF6E.jpeg

My powder hopper works great. I have no complaint about that. My original post was about brass sticking to the inside powder funnel due to too much surface area going into the brass. so I cut it down by 3/16, beveled and polished the cut. Works great now

for long grain stuff, like R16 - hornady is kinda better. but to setup hornady to be accurate with drops is a major pita and once set and tightened - it is not a good idea to touch it.
i have it setup for my 6.5cm loads - with teflon tape and other idiotic things to keep the measuring stick in its drum from moving - and it got very stable for me now, but it is not anymore truly adjustable.

View attachment 687349
I thought I was the only one with a rusty Hornady measure. Then I started reading and realized they’re just made from scraps of recycled Hi Points.

View attachment 687349
Jesus Christ. Where you guys have your reloading presses? Outside in the rain? Lol kiddin.

Here’s my Hornady measure. Bought the LNL AP press in 2012. I do run a dehumidifier during the humid months and I spray any metal parts with one shot cleaner/lube when I first get them. I haven’t sprayed down the measure in quite a while.
One shot works very well for rust/corrosion. I have zero rust on any metal parts, dies etc in my basement.
89843A8D-B412-4D00-86B0-15BD9954E581.jpeg 573F6D31-D4F9-4F91-9F7A-D0136EC04064.jpeg

Jesus Christ. Where you guys have your reloading presses? Outside in the rain? Lol kiddin.

Here’s my Hornady measure. Bought the LNL AP press in 2012. I do run a dehumidifier during the humid months and I spray any metal parts with one shot cleaner/lube when I first get them. I haven’t sprayed down the measure in quite a while.
One shot works very well for rust/corrosion. I have zero rust on any metal parts, dies etc in my basement.
View attachment 692708View attachment 692709
None of my equipment has rust. Except for that damn hornady measure.

Edited to add their lathe style trimmer was wonky as can be. Trimmed crooked and had proprietary shell holders.

They new dimensions 40 caliber dies (before I saw the light and sold the 40) were poorly designed. It would taper crimp and then when adjusted properly would roll crimp. Why in the world would you make your dies to taper crimp for cases that headspace on the mouth? Again a crooked part from hornady that always seemed to be a tape on half of the brass and a roll on the other half.

I know I’m probably the only one but I think Hornady sucks.
Oh and their SD ammo is junk.

None of my equipment has rust. Except for that damn hornady measure.

Edited to add their lathe style trimmer was wonky as can be. Trimmed crooked and had proprietary shell holders.

They new dimensions 40 caliber dies (before I saw the light and sold the 40) were poorly designed. It would taper crimp and then when adjusted properly would roll crimp. Why in the world would you make your dies to taper crimp for cases that headspace on the mouth? Again a crooked part from hornady that always seemed to be a tape on half of the brass and a roll on the other half.

I know I’m probably the only one but I think Hornady sucks.
Oh and their SD ammo is junk.
Same here, not sure why that hornady measure rusts. It does not bother me.

I had Hornandy, Redding, Lyman, and Wilson lathe type trimmers. Wilson all day, everyday hands down! The Redding would be second but a distant second. I even tried the Lee zip trim once.

Back
Top Bottom