5.56 cases stick in lnl shell plate

kiver

NES Member
I am having a difficult time getting the shell plate to accept and dump 223 and 556 cases. It's as if the plate sizing is too small. I am using a 16 plate in a lock n load

https://vimeo.com/202022472

I got the plate used and wonder if this is an issue. Can I polish the plate mouth down a bit

Last edited:
I would just call Hornady. I had an issue with their 44 mag shell plate. As soon as I tightened the shell plate bolt/nut (whatever it's called) it would bind up and wouldn't allow the press to index. Called Hornady and they had me ship it back and they sent me a new one.

I've got a similar problem but only with one specific type of brass with a headstamp of "C J 93". It appears that the extractor groove is slightly thicker than expected - it will 'fit' into the #16 shell plate (as well as a #16 shell holder) but it's not worth the effort and I've since sorted that headstamp out of the reloading rotation.

I've got a similar problem but only with one specific type of brass with a headstamp of "C J 93". It appears that the extractor groove is slightly thicker than expected - it will 'fit' into the #16 shell plate (as well as a #16 shell holder) but it's not worth the effort and I've since sorted that headstamp out of the reloading rotation.

I had that issue with a Redding shell holder for 7.5x55 swiss using PPU brass. Called Redding and they sent me a different 30 cal shell holder that also fits 7.5x55 swiss...

When I had that issue with some .223 and 5.56 brass in a lee primer tool shell holder I ran the brass through a Lee bulge buster with a 380 acp carbide factory crimp die and they all fit perfectly after. Seems the brass bulged a bit too far down for a sizing die to correct causing it to hand up in the shell holder...sorta like Glocked 40s&w brass.

When I had that issue with some .223 and 5.56 brass in a lee primer tool shell holder I ran the brass through a Lee bulge buster with a 380 acp carbide factory crimp die and they all fit perfectly after. Seems the brass bulged a bit too far down for a sizing die to correct causing it to hand up in the shell holder...sorta like Glocked 40s&w brass.

I have the same problem with the Lee shell holders (1/20 require force), most notably with Fc brass like Pat mentioned. I'll have to look into the bulge buster.

Make sure your cases are properly lube. I had that issue and i used a little less lube and it worked fine. Too much lube or to little lube some times makes the difference. Not saying thats your problem just something to consider. Sorry miss read your post i thought you were having problems with the shell sticking in the shell holder after sizing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom