• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LC 7.62 problems

I'm trying to resize once fired LC brass thru my Dillion 550b with Dillion .308 dies to shoot thru my Remington 700.

Here is my issue. It takes an incredible amount of force to get the brass thru the resizing die. I'm lubing the outside of the brass with Dillion spray lube and the inside with miramica.

It takes so much force that I'm afraid I'm going to get a stuck case or rip my press off the bench.

What am I doing wrong and how can I fix it?

Thanks in advance and

are the primers crimped? Try running some thru a universal decapping die first and then resize them and see if that makes a difference.

Could have been shot through a very loose chamber or machine gun.
Source of LC brass- measure some of these cases around the case head and compare to known good brass you have.

I get a lot of free brass from CMP matches and I can tell with in 1\4 pull of the handle which brass I'm not even going to try and size. I posted somewhere here about some of the brass I have picked up being shot by some of these old war horses.

Also I'm impressed at the difference imperial sizing wax makes vs any spray lube. Spray lube (I use home made with lanolin) is great for sizing cases I shot in my guns BUT if I'm trying to size unknown brass I find the imp wax make for much smoother operation.

Last edited:
Sorry for the delay. Work got in the way of life. The have been dealing crimped. Not shot from a machine gun, or at least that's how they were advertised.

I have not tried a wax. I will try a combo of that and the mirmica

Is there a trick other than "follow what it says on the bottle"?
The lanolin lube tends to separate out of the solvent (alcohol) when it sits, so if you pick up the bottle, give it a quick shake, then squirt some "lube" onto your cases, you're going to get very little lanolin and too much solvent until you "use up" what's sitting in the internal tube in the pump sprayer, which is almost all solvent at first.

As a first out thing I think I would decap with a universal decap die. I use a Lee and find them quite good. The lube them and run them into a FL resize die with no expander, then try them in the Dillon. You are going to need to swage the primer pockets and I have a Dillon swager which is best I have seen though I have done thousands with a RCBS swager tool.

Over the years (a bunch) I've reloaded a lot of LC 7.62 brass, with nary a problem. My process:

Wipe cases with isoproponol. (Keeps crud out of my dies.)

Decap. (Using RCBS Universal decapper.)

Lube. (Exterior: RCBS lube and ink pad, spreading some over neck and shoulder with finger tips. Neck interior: graphite with Redding applicator.)

Size. (Cases intended for bolt guns in "regular" RCBS sizer; those intended for M14 (the bulk) in RCBS "small base" sizer.)

Wipe again. (Keep most of the lube out of my tumbler.)

Tumble. (Dry, crushed walnut shells, powdered "jeweler's rouge" (ferric oxide), a couple of quarter sheets of paper towels.)

Swage primer pockets.

Trim, chamfer inside and out.

Cases stored with label "Ready to Prime."

I have never had to use big force to size, and I have never had a case get stuck.

Back
Top Bottom