Bullseye for .45 LC

The Goose

NES Member
I just acquired Rossi 92 carbine in .45 LC and am working up some loads. I cast a 255gr and 200 gr, both LRNFP. I have a lot of Bullseye on hand and would like to use it. Does anyone have any experience with Bullseye in this round? And please do not tell me the other powders I could use.

I just acquired Rossi 92 carbine in .45 LC and am working up some loads. I cast a 255gr and 200 gr, both LRNFP. I have a lot of Bullseye on hand and would like to use it. Does anyone have any experience with Bullseye in this round? And please do not tell me the other powders I could use.

I have reloaded the same weight cast bullets in .45 Colt, but I don't shoot anything in this caliber. I can't say if my neighbor ever launched any of these in his Taurus Judge either. In any case there is data on the Alliant website for Bullseye and .45 Colt. Perhaps not for your exact bullet, but I wouldn't hesitate to use the data for the 200g LSWC and 250g LSWC as your basis.

Goose a buddy of mine was loading around 6.5 under a 200 for cowboy and it felt like a 22.
Shot wonderful.
I’ll ask for the details on it.

Last edited:
Unique and Bullseye are both fine. The worst part is that they leave the weapon filthy, but I figure that's part of the deal.

As for things being dirty, do you find that you get a lot of blow-back at standard 45C pressures from the brass not expanding enough to provide a good seal? I think regardless of powder, I have to go to a light Ruger-only load in my Blackhawk before the brass comes out reasonably clean. Have not tried standard pressure in my Henry. It may fare better.

As for things being dirty, do you find that you get a lot of blow-back at standard 45C pressures from the brass not expanding enough to provide a good seal? I think regardless of powder, I have to go to a light Ruger-only load in my Blackhawk before the brass comes out reasonably clean. Have not tried standard pressure in my Henry. It may fare better.

Do you use a heavy crimp with the slower powders?

QL data:

Lee 452-255-RF, at COAL 1.580", max looks like 7.0 grains of Bullseye getting you ~1120fps out of a 16" barrel.

Lee 452-200-RF at COAL 1.580", max load 8.5gr BE ~1345fps from a 16"

I know you didn't ask, but for others reading this thread, Lil' Gun, 296, H110, AA7, AA9, VV 3N38 or 3N37, Blue Dot, Power Pistol (etc.) are all better choices.

For example, a max load of Lil' Gun under that 200gr projectile will hit about 1575fps at the same pressure.

QL data:

Lee 452-255-RF, at COAL 1.580", max looks like 7.0 grains of Bullseye getting you ~1120fps out of a 16" barrel.

Lee 452-200-RF at COAL 1.580", max load 8.5gr BE ~1345fps from a 16"

I know you didn't ask, but for others reading this thread, Lil' Gun, 296, H110, AA7, AA9, VV 3N38 or 3N37, Blue Dot, Power Pistol (etc.) are all better choices.

For example, a max load of Lil' Gun under that 200gr projectile will hit about 1575fps at the same pressure.

What pressure limit are you using?

I just loaded .45 Colt with 5 powders to see what an old SAA likes best. Bullseye was one of the 5. I was curious about those tiny charges in that big case so I kept dumping charges until I filled the case. It took 4 charges to fill the case. Plenty of room to screw up very badly

I have used bullseye with the sierra 240Gr #8820 bullet, using the max standard load and OAL in the sierra manual (I think 7.5gr, and 1.6"?). I was able to get ~815fps out of a 4.2" redhawk.

I shot the 5 loads and Bullseye shot about as well as Titegroup and Trailboss. Unique shot a little better and BE-86 shot a lot better. The Bullseye load was 6.3 grains with a Missouri 250 grain rnfp cast lead bullet. That 92 can certainly handle a heavier load but this is in an old 1st generation Colt SAA and I'm trying to go easy.

Back
Top Bottom