Anbody still reload 7.62 x 25 Tokarev ?

EddieZoom

NES Member
I'm considering my first C&R pistol (M57)....haven't seen a mention on NES in 5+ years about reloading this bad boy. Looks like brass/bullets/and dies (Lee, Others ?) are readily available.

Anybody still cranking out this caliber ? Any tips ?

Like the 357 SIG, the Tokarev has such a short neck that it takes a little knack to get decent neck tension to grip the bullet.
I suppose, using a non tapered bullet to make maximum contact with the neck is ideal, that is, a bullet that is straight throughout the neck's contact.
The Hornady XTP (#31000) works well. The 110 .30 Carbine bullets (Magtech?; brass-colored jacket) from American Reloading have been working fine, too. Even the 32-20 bullet (Lyman 311008) does well for me. I run these and some .312" dia. Bull-X LSWCs through a Lee .309" diameter bullet sizer and they work well in my CZ52.

Oh, if you opt for forming Tokarev brass from .223 Remington, make sure you use the proper shell holder. The .223 Remington rim will be a smaller diameter than standard 7.62x25 (even 7.63x25) brass and you may rip the rim off while sizing, making your die useless until you remove the stuck case.
I've been using plenty of 30 Mauser (7.63x25) brass, which doesn't appear to be any different than Tokarev brass. The Mauser ammo is loaded
to lower pressures, of course. Both run in my gun.

Attachments

• tok100g.jpg
    tok100g.jpg
    254.9 KB · Views: 5
  • Tok110g.jpg
    Tok110g.jpg
    219.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I reload x25 but it’s been well over 3 years since I reloaded them. I just don’t shoot it very often.
NavelOfficer is correct about neck tension. I had issues with that which took some trial and error.
I use the Hornady .309" 90 gr XTPs and they’re stupid accurate out my Romanian Tok.

I should probably take notes so I know what to do next time I reload them. I believe I used a lee/Lyman universal flaring die to flare the case to accept the XTPs? Then apply a light crimp.

As for crimping, I don't find the .30 Mauser (this is the die set I use for 7.62x25mm) seating die very effective for applying a crimp. I can only do it very lightly, else the case gets squashed (resulting in rounds that won't chamber).
I tend to use a Lee .308 Winchester FC die with a Lee bullet sizer punch and shims to get the desired roll crimp. It provides a perfect crimp on the cast/coated bullets with a crimp groove. A bit lighter setting, it gives the 110g .30 Carbine bullet a satisfactory crimp, too.

As for crimping, I don't find the .30 Mauser (this is the die set I use for 7.62x25mm) seating die very effective for applying a crimp. I can only do it very lightly, else the case gets squashed (resulting in rounds that won't chamber).
I tend to use a Lee .308 Winchester FC die with a Lee bullet sizer punch and shims to get the desired roll crimp. It provides a perfect crimp on the cast/coated bullets with a crimp groove. A bit lighter setting, it gives the 110g .30 Carbine bullet a satisfactory crimp, too.
I think I’m using the lee x25 FCD

I was a little surprised to find there are still multiple choices (new ammo, not surplus) available for this caliber.
It used to be cheap also , when I grew tired of the corrosive surplus I sold all I had and replaced it with some wolf gold. It was as cheap ad 9mm when I bought it

Back
Top Bottom