• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

.45 LC help needed

I picked up some new Winchester.45 LC brass. I put the primers in, dropped a power charge. When I went to put the heads in, they dropped right into the case. Right into the case sitting in the powder below the top of the case, no friction holding the heads in. Should new cases be full length sized before loading?

Why haven't you tried resizing yet (there's that woman's "yet" again - another thread)? Haven't you set your seating die for OAL?

I full length size everything, new or used. What diameter are your bullets?

Measure twice, cut once.
Resize and make sure you have proper diameter bullets. Those .429"s will drop right in.
IIRC, some of the earlier .45 Colt loads used a .454" diameter bullet, but you should still have an interference fit with the more common .452" diameter projectiles.
Some brands of brass are thinner walled and even after sizing, the bullets have very little grip tension to hold them in place. I can't say that I've come across this in .45 Colt, however.

As an aside, a tangent to the question of whether you need resize new brass (I always do), if/when you pick up .45C at the range, note whether there is a deep crimp in the case that was behind the bullet. I'm not talking about the slight one that one sees on a lot of Federal loads. Rather, this is almost a crease in the brass that doesn't flatten out when it is fired.
2458.jpg

You might be able to use them, but in that case you might have to load similar, unjacketed lead bullets. Heavier bullets may not seat probably without deforming something, jacketed bullets of the appropriate weight may not be large enough in diameter to generate sufficient neck tension, even after the brass is resized. When I tried reloading resized brass from Winchester 255grain lead round nose with XTPs, I could have seated the bullets easily without the press.

You might be able to use them, but in that case you might have to load similar, unjacketed lead bullets.
didn't he say when he seated a bullet it fell down on top of the powder? yeah, i'd pull them all and do them properly but to each his own.

didn't he say when he seated a bullet it fell down on top of the powder? yeah, i'd pull them all and do them properly but to each his own.

I agree, but I don’t know why you quoted my post to say it. Your reply doesn’t make sense as a response to what I wrote.

all new brass needs to be sized before loading, and the same goes for pulled brass where the components have been removed and the primed brass sold.

LOL. At least he didn’t call them “pills”. JFC I hate when people call them that.
You see, you take your loaded pills and put them into your clip, then you squeeze off a few but make sure you don't accidentally touch some off. If your rifle has glass, use it, and if it's threaded for a can, put that on, too.

Wonder what other hated slang terms I forgot.

You see, you take your loaded pills and put them into your clip, then you squeeze off a few but make sure you don't accidentally touch some off. If your rifle has glass, use it, and if it's threaded for a can, put that on, too.

Wonder what other hated slang terms I forgot.
J word , boolits im sure there is more

I picked up some new Winchester.45 LC brass. I put the primers in, dropped a power charge. When I went to put the heads in, they dropped right into the case. Right into the case sitting in the powder below the top of the case, no friction holding the heads in. Should new cases be full length sized before loading?
short answer is yes.....although I dont think the proper size bullet will drop right in a new case even if you do not "resize" the new case.
I have personally just taken new brass PPU 8mm and &.62x54r right from the bag and other than a quick chamfer of the case mouth loaded up and shot them.

Time to measure the case mouth and bullet size
Five Steps for Preparing New Brass

Also from Starline brass
45 Colt Brass (Large Pistol primer)
45 Long Colt, 45 LC
1.270 - 1.280 O.A.L.

45 Colt Brass. Originally designed for use with blackpowder, the .45 Colt is one of the most powerful, commonly available handgun cartridges when loaded with smokeless powder. Our .45 Colt brass has been tested to .44 Magnum pressures in gun systems suitable for such loads. *New brass may require neck sizing for use with .452" and smaller bullets.

Last edited:
62AB4F64-DA34-48A3-AB7A-E21E9382748D.jpeg I just finished my first ever reloads the other day. I used the lee classic to make low power 45 colt loads.
I used a 454 round ball over 3.2g bullseye fired from a 1858 Remington conversion. This was my first shot ever with my own reloads. It was from 25 feet out.
Needless to say I’m hooked!

Back
Top Bottom