Reloading 7.62x54r COL problems.

So I'm loading Hornady 3130 bullets into a 7.62x54r for my M44 Mosin (174gr RN). The Hornady manual lists COL as 2.855" so that's what I did. However, When chambering the round to test-fit, the rifling ripped the bullet out and powder flew everywhere. Seeing as I don't have a Hornady Cartridge gauge, I seated the bullet until I didn't hit the rifling which came out at 2.75", 1/10" shorter than listed.

Hornady lists starting load at 39gr of Varget up to 46g. Guess my question is how much will that 1/10 of an inch make a difference on pressure? Playing it on the safe side and loaded these:

Anyone else have this issue or have load data for this bullet/powder in 54r?

Start low, work up, look for pressure signs, and pay particular attention to how hard it is to open the bolt.

Not knowing what might be going on with your chamber and assuming it's OK, those Varget weights should be fine. Especially starting that low, another 1/10" inward with the projectile should not make that big of a difference. Varget can withstand a little compression- you may hear/feel the crunching. As stated above, watch for pressure signs. I have used Varget extensively in .30-06 and .223- I've never had pressure issues via staying within recommended loads.

Your M44 shoots milsurp ammo just fine? Also, let us know how your loads work. I'm planning to start reloading for my M39. It would take a .309" bullet, however (yes, it has been slugged). I also have a M44 I'd like to load for but first need to slug it and see what size bullet it will 'eat'.

The ogive on the 3130 is "fater" than say surplus or the 3120s so its going to hit the lands sooner. Im actually surprised it hit as the throats/leads on most mosin are pretty "long" I cant even get to the lands with the longest fattest bullet I have with my 91/30. my m44 has a slightly shorter throat and I can just touch the lands with my 314299 cast bullet
One thing about my loadings for the mosin is I find the lower mid range to produce much better accuracy for me with the 3120 SP. make a poor mans over all length guage? I use cast bullets in my mosin now. I figured out the over all length by splitting a steel cartridge case neck then seating the bullet long then slowly chamber the round. It worked good enough but I have since just bought the hornady over all length guage kit and modified a few cases myself

make a poor mans over all length guage? I use cast bullets in my mosin now. I figured out the over all length by splitting a steel cartridge case neck then seating the bullet long then slowly chamber the round. It worked good enough but I have since just bought the hornady over all length guage kit and modified a few cases myself

I did it by coloring the bullet with a dry erase marker since it comes off easy and backing it out .01" until it stopped marking the bullet. Really should invest in the gauge. Will post results.

I did it by coloring the bullet with a dry erase marker since it comes off easy and backing it out .01" until it stopped marking the bullet. Really should invest in the gauge. Will post results.

that works too

Little update:

Ran 38gr - 42gr yesterday at the range. Got a 2" group at 50 yards with irons. Shoots a bit softer than the surplus stuff so going to work it up a bit more since it was nowhere close to showing signs of too much pressure. We'll see if that makes it open up or not.

2" group hand loads vs 6" group at 50 yards surplus for a Mosin is a win in my book!

Little update:

Ran 38gr - 42gr yesterday at the range. Got a 2" group at 50 yards with irons. Shoots a bit softer than the surplus stuff so going to work it up a bit more since it was nowhere close to showing signs of too much pressure. We'll see if that makes it open up or not.

2" group hand loads vs 6" group at 50 yards surplus for a Mosin is a win in my book!

you should generally see a very good change with reloads vs surplus...

Back
Top Bottom