• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LL Bean, Freeport

amb

NES Member
I was just visiting the LL Bean mothership in Freeport, and the old "Hunting and Fishing" department is now in its own building just west of (but connected to) the main retail store. It's also open 24/7, and it all feels very new.

Unlike the rather cramped setup that the hunting section in the main store used to be, the racks of shotguns out on the floor just keep going on and on into the distance; I get the idea they've didn't scrimp on anything, including buying inventory. (The sign says they buy and sell used guns, too.) Lots of accessories, including a whole wall of scope rings, and the people there in there in the middle of the night were both friendly and knew their stuff.

Prices seemed neither cheap nor ridiculous, but since I'm not too much of a shotgun person (which seemed to be a lot of what they had) I could be way off base here, and all ammo looks expensive to me these days. Still, a nice place, and I think it's well worth a visit. (Plus, if you want to go gun shopping at 2am, now you can!)

Bean's is pretty much a yuppie fashion store now rather than being a store for ppl that'll actually use the items for outdoor use. I mean 'com the have pastel office wear and expressor machines for camping... YUPPY!

I usually hit Bean's once a year. I haven't been in a while, but, when I saw the new "Lodge" I was in Heaven!

About 10 years ago, and employee in the old hunting section was worried about losing his job. "Damn yuppies and Libs from Mass are killing the hunting section!" was what he said. He honestly thought that Bean's was going to drop the hunting altogether.

Seems that cooler heads prevailed.

Bean's is pretty much a yuppie fashion store now...---BlkHawk73
Yep it's now L.L. Filenes, although I still like to stop when I'm in the area.

Respectfully,

jkelly

They had to do something in response to Cabelas opening in their backyard.

Cabelas is going to kill beans and the kittery fleecing post.

They had to do something in response to Cabelas opening in their backyard.

Cabelas is going to kill beans and the kittery fleecing post.

I doubt it. Beans has thier name which will defiantely help them. Being in the yuppy town of freeport and having that market to hope for will help too as many will make it a point to go there. Kiitery will continue to get the MA and Nh folks and the tourists stopping in the shopping areas. I know I'll still shop at KTP even with the cabeala's being 15 minutes from me. Some stuff may be a better deal at Cabela's but I know thier firearms prices are some of the worst I'm ever seen.
I'll go to whomever has the better prices/products and customer service. knowing what cabela's is paying, I'm expecting little to minimal knowledge in the firearms dept.

Last edited:
I stopped going to Bean's back in '94 when they were on the TV news talking about supporting the Clinton semi-auto and magazine ban and the Brady Act.

If I remember right it was one of the Gormans who was on channel 6 saying that they only sell the kind of guns that people "need" to kill fuzzy little animals. According to him, no one "needs" an ugly black gun or any handgun.

Bean's is pretty much a yuppie fashion store now rather than being a store for ppl that'll actually use the items for outdoor use. I mean 'com the have pastel office wear and expressor machines for camping... YUPPY!

You are so right!

Only reloading stuff they have is for black powder. Their firearms do not include handguns. They seem like a store designed to supply the likes of John Kerry with hunting rifles or shotguns. But there's some good news . . .

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...carborough.html&cm_re=retail*left*scarborough

And there is always the Kittery Trading Post (upstairs, of course).

KTP is getting into the mail order business possibly in response to the recent openings. But I don't see Cabelas putting it out of business. Cabelas has more that just stop in to look as it is impressive (at least the one in PA). KTP does a huge business in trades which Cabelas or L.L. will never challenge. KTP is also able to satisfy the NH crowd in firearms sales without the added tax which the others can't do. They can also deal with ME and NH in handgun sales which they can't do. So I expect the KTP to be around for sometime.

Hope everyone isn't expectingto see fantatsic prices on firearms at cabela's. Just look at thier website and you'll see just how overpriced a LOT of thier used stuff really is. Nope, maybe new they'll be ok, but for used...KTP is the best bet.

Hope everyone isn't expectingto see fantatsic prices on firearms at cabela's. Just look at thier website and you'll see just how overpriced a LOT of thier used stuff really is. Nope, maybe new they'll be ok, but for used...KTP is the best bet.

There is no contest regarding firearms between KTP and the Big "C". Cabellas makes no effort to be a serious gun dealer, whereas Kittery Trading Post is the best gun shop in Maine.

But Cabellas will be an hour closer for most of us Mainahs, and they have a great web system where you can order and pick up at the store. Kittery is only beginning to do web ordering, and their stock is not as large for, say, reloading, etc.

There's room for both of them, as they are quite different places.

There is no contest regarding firearms between KTP and the Big "C". Cabellas makes no effort to be a serious gun dealer, whereas Kittery Trading Post is the best gun shop in Maine.

But Cabellas will be an hour closer for most of us Mainahs, and they have a great web system where you can order and pick up at the store. Kittery is only beginning to do web ordering, and their stock is not as large for, say, reloading, etc.

There's room for both of them, as they are quite different places.

Agreed! I'll use C for my reloading stuf proberly rather than mail order or making the hike to KTP (gas prices). Of course I'm always checking the racks/shelves of used stuff just in case.
Wasn't aware KTP was staring the on-line ordering thing. Good to know.

Wow, I feel sorry for those of you who think KTP is a great gun shop.

they have a great selection of over priced junk. Most of the people who work the counter know little to nothing about what they are selling.

If you are looking for a real gun shop with a knowlegeble owner try Renassaince in Gonic (Rochester, NH) He will transfer free to a dealer in lebanon, maine.

they have a great selection of over priced junk. Most of the people who work the counter know little to nothing about what they are selling.

If you are looking for a real gun shop with a knowlegeble owner try Renassaince in Gonic (Rochester, NH) He will transfer free to a dealer in lebanon, maine.

Guess I've been an exception to the rule then. I've found quite a few VERY good deals at KTP some priced WAY below what they should've been. How bout a $495 #1 that was all of 99%, a mint and complete packaged HK4 for $495, a 90% unconverted OM Blackhawk for $245 and another 2nd yr prod BH (unconverted) 41 mag for just a bit more.
There are some very good deals to be had. I've lso found a few of the clerks do know thier stuff. You can't expect all of them to know everything about every make/model. As for it all being "junk". I'd like to see what you consider not-junk" then.
Never heard of Renassaince but will try and stop in. Must have a good inventory - like KTP but not "junk" I guess?

Thank you for your sympathy, but I still feel good about Kittery Trading Post -- they pay up for trade-ins, and sell used guns and new at good prices.

I'll certainly check out your NH place, but remember, some of us in Maine live a long way from Kittery (3 hours), and longer from NH.

Last edited:
There is no contest regarding firearms between KTP and the Big "C". Cabellas makes no effort to be a serious gun dealer, whereas Kittery Trading Post is the best gun shop in Maine..

As to Kitter being the best shop in Maine I disagree. Largest yes(that I have seen so far). But definatley not the best.
I will give you they do on occasion have a decent deal or two, IF you can get anyone to help you, IF that person knows anything.(my experiances not many of them do).

Personaly I like going to Howell's in Gray, maine. They don't have a huge selection, but the people are good there and they have always treated me right. And by the time you figure gas prices into the equation their price is better than KTP.
Gulf of Maine Gunsmithing in Raymond, Maine isn't all that bad either. At least it wasn't last time i was in there. Decent selection of all sorts, new used. Bean's is allright but a lil to spendy for my tastes, and then there is the afore mentioned lack of selection. I will still go to KTP on ocassion just due to the fact that they due have a huge selection. But a good selection does not make a good gun store (imo). I have had several bad experiances at KTP and a few good ones, I have just had better experiances at other places.
But gun shops are subjective to the buyer just like the guns that we buy are.

Personaly I like going to Howell's in Gray, maine. They don't have a huge selection, but the people are good there and they have always treated me right. And by the time you figure gas prices into the equation their price is better than KTP.
Gulf of Maine Gunsmithing in Raymond, Maine isn't all that bad either. At least it wasn't last time i was in there. Decent selection of all sorts, new used. Bean's is allright but a lil to spendy for my tastes, and then there is the afore mentioned lack of selection. I will still go to KTP on ocassion just due to the fact that they due have a huge selection. But a good selection does not make a good gun store (imo). I have had several bad experiances at KTP and a few good ones, I have just had better experiances at other places.
But gun shops are subjective to the buyer just like the guns that we buy are.

Haven't stepped foot but once in Howell's in almost 5 years and he's the closest shop to me. Nope, not since he screwed me on a transfer. Was told it was $25, yet once my gun arrived it was suddenly $50 and no budging. Asked about the on-line auction sites which listed his store and how they gave the $25 cost for a transfer. Nothing but an attitude. Seems f one isn't a steady regualr and/or a big $ shotgunner they're worthless there. Ego filled clerks there too. used to be good 10 years ago or so but no longer. Paid the money and hadn't been back until last month when brohter had to stop in. I do try and frequent Gulf Of maine thouhg. Known Bill for years and it's always a good chat. He has gone above & beyond for me a few times without wanting anything in return. He knows what I like and keeps an eye out for me. I still seem to find the best deals at KTP though regardless what anyone else finds. I know what I'm after so I don't need the clerk to have a vast amount of experience to dazzle me with.

your not the first person i've heard that from about Howell's.
Srange how some places just don't work for some and do for others.
I keep trying to get to Gulf of Maine unsmithing, but the only day I have off usualy is sunday, and I think he is closed sundays.
One of these I'll get back over there. He has given me some good deals on ammo.

your not the first person i've heard that from about Howell's.
Srange how some places just don't work for some and do for others.
I keep trying to get to Gulf of Maine unsmithing, but the only day I have off usualy is sunday, and I think he is closed sundays.
One of these I'll get back over there. He has given me some good deals on ammo.

Bill is closed Sundays and Mondays but open til 6 I think the other days. Gonna try getting there sat after the Lewiston show.

Was told it was $25, yet once my gun arrived it was suddenly $50 and no budging.

Years ago I stopped in to ask about a transfer. He quoted me 10% of SALE PRICE. I said thank you and walked out. Have not been back, and probably wont be back.

B

Years ago I stopped in to ask about a transfer. He quoted me 10% of SALE PRICE. I said thank you and walked out. Have not been back, and probably wont be back.

B

Yup, that's what he charges. In a way I can see his side and in another, my side, it can be steep. At least he's upfront and didn't lie like the other shop did. My brother's adealer and I can easily do my stuff through him. Sometimes it's just easier when time is an issue, especially during busy gun show times of the year.
I don't mind tossing a few bukcs on a transfer to a good person. Keep the little guy going and treat them well and the loyalty and such is returned later on. Bill treats me very well.

LL Bean in Freeport

LL Bean in Freeport is a great place to stop just to break up a long car trip. I have never bought anything yet, but I might some day![grin] I still like it better than BassPro in Foxboro. Well, maybe I need to go back to BassPro to get the whole effect. It is a bit overwhelming!

Back
Top Bottom