• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

1776 Gunsmithing, LLC

I visited 1776 Gunsmithing today for the first time after reading about them on NES. I spoke with Don for a while, real nice guy. Another guy took the time to give me a nice breakdown of different types of Mosins, they have a ton at the store. I plan on returning and have three projects lined up I would like to them to do. The first is doing a trigger job on my S&W bodygaurd 380.

Last edited:
From my review of the Black Friday Palmetto State Armory thread:
It is now Massafied courtesy of 1776 Gunsmithing. They were great to deal with and had my upper turned around in 2 days...feels like their work is of higher quality than the upper! Also, they gave a great NES discount. I will be back with more work for them.

I wanted to expand on my review of 1776 and put it on their thread. It was truly a nice, fun experience and I like the place and attitudes of all that I saw there.

Every employee that went through the showroom on the way to the shop may sure to say hi and check out what I was looking to accomplish. They are going to hunt down a good break for a J Bunting I am getting and I will ask them to cut the barrel as well.

They seem to know their way well around the Apex trigger groups for a M&P 9mm and I may have them adjust mine.

They are obviously way into WWI and WWII era rifles (for young guys and a girl I saw), but they like their AR's as well.

They are very NES supportive and I wish them the best! Nice and local to me.

just picked up my 23 from 1776 tuesday night. i could not be happier with how it came out. Don and Tim are great guys, i highly recommend 1776 to everyone asking.

I've had multiple guns to 1776. They've done everything for me from fitting stocks, trigger jobs, hot blueing and everything in between. They do fantastic work, are super knowledgeable, helpful, and are all around nice guys. I'll never bring my stuff anywhere else.

I actually found out about 1776 through a fellow motorcyclist and not on NES. Really excited to find out there's a gunsmith nearby and the commute there is for the most part traffic free! When did they set up shop there? I'm very familiar with that road and I've never noticed their shop before and I know the brick building where they are located. Anyways I'm in need of some pinning/welding and refinishing of some firearms that have a crappy finish on them! Glad to hear positive reviews, looks like they just earned another future customer!

I actually found out about 1776 through a fellow motorcyclist and not on NES. Really excited to find out there's a gunsmith nearby and the commute there is for the most part traffic free! When did they set up shop there? I'm very familiar with that road and I've never noticed their shop before and I know the brick building where they are located. Anyways I'm in need of some pinning/welding and refinishing of some firearms that have a crappy finish on them! Glad to hear positive reviews, looks like they just earned another future customer!

You won't be dissapointed. Don & crews are all great guys & gal. I just drop off some stuff with 1776. The shop expand a lot since my last visit. As usual, I got to learn a rare rifle.

Sent from my Tinfoil hat

+1 to these guys. Had some work done to a gun, top notch work and Don fixed a problem I was having with my shotgun while I waited.

They also had a an lwrc 556 spiraled barrel ar cerkoted in fde sitting on the counter. First time I saw one of those in person and G damn do I want one.

If I ever need work done again I will drive out to see them even though there are other shops closer to me.

I have brought several pistols to 1776 for work.

Highly recommended. This is a very professionally run shop with great customer service.

They have hired on another gunsmith and a person to run the front office. I hope their business continues to go well. They have worked on a number of firearms for me, they know their way around an AR.

1776 Gunsmithing

I had a couple of rifle problems (one trivial, one not) that I brought in to 1776. Met with Don and Tim, and they took good care of my problems/rifles. They are very nice, very knowledgeable and a pleasure to do business with. I highly recommend their shop, and will certainly give them my business in the future.

I transferred a gun through them, they pin and welded the brake to make it MA happy for me. While there, just shooting the shit and talking about building guns - I mention a project I am working on - guy asks "got any mags for that?" and I said quickly, "no - and I dont want to pay $100 each for them either" (the going gunraper price) . Dude runs in the back and produces two preban 40 rounders. I said take my money. Great shop, super nice folks, would do business with again - and I found out they take all kind of odd ball projects - not just ARs or AKs. They've got all the machinist equipment right there you'd need to sort out just about any build. So if anyone out there ger****ed a project, or is over thier head, these guys will help as best they can. And their refinishing prices were amazing.

I had a great experience with these guys today. They did a safety check on my LC9 after I added some Galloway upgrades. Needless to say I also left with a few other items that the prices were too good to pass up. Great guys, great shop and I will be back in a few weeks. Thanks guys.

Greek and I took the hour and 10 drive Last night to 1776 to drop off our shields and i'm having 2 uppers Pin/weld and Bayo lugs removed. I'm excited to see how everything comes out. Everyone there seemed very detailed and super nice.

Dropped the old lady's sr22 off to get cerakoted. Been here before super nice people and love to talk about guns. And I love me some guns!

I met these guys at the last gun show and they seem like nice people, I'll have to go over and check their shop out. Plus they liked my beard and gave me a free hat.

I really like that everyone at 1776 seems genuinely enthusiastic about the business they are in.
I highly recommend and wish them well. :thumbsup:

It's really refreshing to meet people who are so friendly and truly enjoy their jobs.
I just picked up my Shield after a trigger job. Lightning fast turnaround and the price was unbeatable! I can't recommend them enough.

Last edited:
Visited shop yesterday afternoon and met with Don and some of his workers. All were nice and really took interest in what I was or going to do. Will definitely be visiting the shop more often.

Picked up my Troy after they made it less 'evil'. Great guys and great work. Will go back for my M&P 45 trigger job.

I stopped in here once to check it out and Don spent a lot of time talking to me and giving me pointers on what to really look at when gunshopping. I am using them for an FFL right now and will definitely be going there for any work I may have. I also saw them at the gun show recently and spoke to him there. I like the fact it is a very professional run business for a gunsmith.

Awesome place just had my g23 done came out awesome. And the turn around crazy fast dropped it off Wedsnday picked up Friday now having my shield done I will have to add this to my new addiction thanks Don!!!!!!!!
20140214_115801.jpg

Just got my 1895 back today. Before dropping it off to get corrected, I spoke to the smith who would be doing the actual work.

After a little discussion it was back in his hands.

It is all right as rain now. So if you ask me do they back up their work, the answer is a big yes.

Today I picked up two rifles, an AR-15 and an AK-47, onto which 1776 Gunsmithing had installed muzzle breaks. I am incredibly pleased with the quality of their work, to include their fit and finish. No mars, scars, or blemishes, and they even did a bit of extra work for me to correct some installation mistakes I'd made previously.

On top of that, I spoke with the owner, Don, one of the smiths (Tim, OORAH), and Katelyn (sp?), each of whom is incredibly professional, personable, and knowledgeable. I plan on patronizing them for any future gunsmith needs I may have, even though they're almost an hour away...well worth the ride.

I highly recommend them.

These guys are fantastic.
I had my Grandfather's old Smith and Wesson 39-2 refinished. The bluing is fantastic, they took great care of a very sentimental gun and did it for a great price!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Well considering they are 20ish minutes away, i'm going to give 1776 a shot. I just got in a free float rail that I'd like refinished in a FDE color to match the rest of my upcoming build. Based upon all the positive reviews, sounds like it's the place to go.

Back
Top Bottom