1776 Gunsmithing, LLC

Yes great guys They have My Mosin right now doing a sniper mod on a spare bolt I picked up. It was so fast I was still away on Business and couldn't pick it up yet. I will be about 20 minutes down the road teaching this week so I will try and get it at the end of the day!!!!

I dropped off my BCM upper a short while ago for "Massification" (pin/weld comp. + bayo. lug neutering) and received a quick tour of the shop. It seems like a pretty nice place with very friendly and personable staff.
(Don was nice enough to stay open a few minutes late since I was fighting traffic to get home from downtown Boston.)

I look forward to picking up my upper on Saturday and updating this thread with some pics. [grin]

I picked up my AR-15 upper from 1776 Gunsmithing on Saturday.

I had a BCM Gunfighter Mod 0 compensator pinned and welded, along with the bayonet lug removal. Both came out looking great. I was especially impressed with the work on the bayonet lug.

They also helped me with a small problem I was having with my stripped lower. All in all, a great shop that I would not hesitate to recommend.
I am especially glad that the TAVORs from the NES GB are being sent to these guys to get "Massified".

comp_and_lug.jpg

Last edited:
Brought my enfield In today for a chamber casting. And to check headspace. Did it on the spot and test fired it for me. These guys are great people. Will be bringing my girlfriends sr22 in for some ceracote.

Had a great experience here and forgot to post my review. I had them take a flash hider off a barrel to make it MA legal. Had it done fast and did a great job at it. Seem like nice guys and would definitely go back.

1776 is great!! A friend of mine referred me to them a couple months ago. When i purchased my M10 Ak Variant from FS Guns, the muzzle brake came off at the range. Carl was a great person to deal with and offered to replace the brake at his expense. i purchased a Tapco 74 Style brake and 1776 quoted me $120 to have the brake attached. Carl agreed to cover the cost and we got the ball rolling. Don at 1776 told me that they had to order the specific machining tools to thread my barrel. (it was pretty jacked up from the previous owner's shitty job at the old brake, see below.)

Well, i picked up my M10 on Tuesday night after work and wow! what a great job they did. i highly recommend 1776 Gunsmithing to anyone. Don and his team are great people to work with, very friendly, very competitive pricing and are local to us in the armpit of MA. I currently have my Gen 2 Glock 23 being cerakoted there. Im anxious to get it back to see how its going to come out. Im sure it will be great after the job they did with my muzzle brake. See below for before and afters.

BEFORE:

AFTER:

These guys did an amazing trigger job on my shield and the turnaround was less than a day. I also have an AR in the process of getting threaded and a muzzle pinned/welded. The customer service provided here is by far the best that I have experienced out of any of the gunsmiths that I have been to. I would highly recommend these guys to anyone and will be bringing future business here.

Stag 3 upgrade:
I wanted to make some changes to my Stag 3. It's a nice rifle but based on shooting it and other rifles, and a lot of good information I got on here, I decided that I wanted to change the stock, hand guard, muzzle brake, grip, trigger guard, BCG and charging handle... Since I don't have the tools or skills to change out the brake I brought it to 1776... they did a great job at a very reasonable price.

Going to the range tomorrow to try it out... cant wait.

Last edited:
I took my Marlin to the shop to get a dove tail cut in the barrel. I wanted to convert my 45-70 Classic Model to a full length magazine. I wanted it full length with the barrel just like a Winchester. We spoke about that before they took the gun.

Well when I got it back the Magazine was 5/8th" short! I HATE the look of it. But now what? Have them cut the barrel. But then the front sight would have to moved back. Drilling, tapping required.

Or buy another magazine and start again, but then there would now be 3 dove tails cut in the barrel. As far as I am concerned they ruined the gun for me.

I took my Marlin to the shop to get a dove tail cut in the barrel. I wanted to convert my 45-70 Classic Model to a full length magazine. I wanted it full length with the barrel just like a Winchester. We spoke about that before they took the gun.

Well when I got it back the Magazine was 5/8th" short! I HATE the look of it. But now what? Have them cut the barrel. But then the front sight would have to moved back. Drilling, tapping required.

Or buy another magazine and start again, but then there would now be 3 dove tails cut in the barrel. As far as I am concerned they ruined the gun for me.
Any need to get that kind of work in writing before work starts ?

Dirtywaterdiver,

It appears that you are unsatisfied with our work. It was my mistake not to denote "Winchester style full length mag tube" rather than "Install full length mag tube," like the paperwork states. When we did the job order we performed work based off of the Marlin style full length mag tube, as you can see here http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/bigbore/1895GBL.asp. The Marlin design has a sizable recess on all their big bore lever guns. When you have the time, please bring the "ruined firearm" back down to my shop, & I will buy you a brand new rifle and install a "Winchester style full length mag tube." In the mean time, please bring down any other firearm for a free DCOA or Hot blue.

To all 1776 Gunsmithing LLC customers, we strive for 100% customer satisfaction. If anyone has any issues with our work, please contact us at (508) 734-5476 or [email protected] and we will make it right.

Thank you.

- Don

Dirtywaterdiver,

It appears that you are unsatisfied with our work. It was my mistake not to denote "Winchester style full length mag tube" rather than "Install full length mag tube," like the paperwork states. When we did the job order we performed work based off of the Marlin style full length mag tube, as you can see here http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/bigbore/1895GBL.asp. The Marlin design has a sizable recess on all their big bore lever guns. When you have the time, please bring the "ruined firearm" back down to my shop, & I will buy you a brand new rifle and install a "Winchester style full length mag tube." In the mean time, please bring down any other firearm for a free DCOA or Hot blue.

To all 1776 Gunsmithing LLC customers, we strive for 100% customer satisfaction. If anyone has any issues with our work, please contact us at (508) 734-5476 or [email protected] and we will make it right.

Thank you.

- Don

That's a stand up guy right there. I have had good experiences with them. Sorry you have not. He says he will make it right though

First place to go is always to the vendor before you go and bad mouth them on the interwebs. If you do not get satisfaction, then post away. Seems like to me that a call to them first would have solved everything....

Don and the guys at 1776 do excellent work and are great with customer service. I just picked up my AR15 and they did a nice&clean job threading and welding a muzzle break. Prior, the upper I had from Smith & Wesson was bad and cracked; they dealt with Smith and Wesson for me to get a new upper reciever. Don said they will make it right if you are unsatisfied and I can vouch that he is a man of his word.

Last edited:
First place to go is always to the vendor before you go and bad mouth them on the interwebs. If you do not get satisfaction, then post away. Seems like to me that a call to them first would have solved everything....

xcom. Look, I am just relaying my experience. That way people can make an informed decision. That's not bad mouthing.
No reason to talk about it, not anything you can do once something is cut too short. Nobody makes longer magazine tube plugs.

Don, thanks, but this is a JM stamped Marlin from the original company, unfortunately gone forever. Remington's abortions are all that's left.

I know that's how the GBL is, it's why I specified the mag tube even with the crown, full length. C'est la vie, Murphy's Law.

This.

Ive had nothing but quality work and great overall dealings with the boys at 1776, and will keep recommending to others.

Again this.

xcom. Look, I am just relaying my experience. That way people can make an informed decision. That's not bad mouthing.
No reason to talk about it, not anything you can do once something is cut too short. Nobody makes longer magazine tube plugs.

Dirtywaterdiver,

Small parts fabrication is something we do on a regular basis. We can manufacture and finish an extended mag tube plug for you, all we would need is for you to bring the firearm down any time Tuesday - Friday 1-7pm or Saturday 12-5pm. Please give me a call, so that we may continue this conversation either in person or over the phone. I can be reached at (508) 734-5476. I would really appreciate the opportunity to make this right for you, as it is our goal to satisfy all customers 100%. Thanks for your time.

- Don

Dirtywaterdiver,

Small parts fabrication is something we do on a regular basis. We can manufacture and finish an extended mag tube plug for you, all we would need is for you to bring the firearm down any time Tuesday - Friday 1-7pm or Saturday 12-5pm. Please give me a call, so that we may continue this conversation either in person or over the phone. I can be reached at (508) 734-5476. I would really appreciate the opportunity to make this right for you, as it is our goal to satisfy all customers 100%. Thanks for your time.

- Don

If you can make an extended magazine tube plug, I will have to order another CB magazine tube first and get back to you.

I have had MANY firearms worked on at 1776 and am currently having Don and crew build a custom .45... Don is a man of his word and customer satisfaction is his number one priority!!! I would not hesitate for a second to recommend his services to anyone!!!!

Bringing my M&P 45 for a trigger job with a shorter reset and night sights.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Went to 1776 today to get my XS big dot sights installed on my M&P. They where very friendly and very welcoming. Install took no more than 15 mins. I will definitely be back to do my other firearms.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom