• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

List of MA Senators and State Reps That DID NOT Sign Request Made to AG Healy

REPRESENTATIVE PAUL TUCKER - DEMOCRAT

He emailed me this response:

Good evening xxx, this caught many of us by surprise. The House Judiciary Chairman is sending a letter to AG Healey for clarification of the action she has taken. I await her response to see the next move. Paul

I see hope in this. My email to him was not one of strict 2A, though it could have been. My email to him emphasized that HE AND HIS COLLEAGUES PASS LAWS. Not some rogue AG.

Any Legislator that is willing to accept their elected RESPONSIBILITY is our friend.

Or at least is ethical.

Talked to one non-signee at length today. He opposes an AWB, sees this as political grandstanding, and thinks that the AG doesnt care what businesses or lives she destroys as long as her wing of the party gets closer towards their goal of disarmament. He thinks the legislature may have given the AG authority to do this, and as such if she has that authority he doesnt think its his place to sign a petition telling her she doesn't. I had a 20 minute very frank discussion with him. He seems to think the only way to fix this is in the courts. He had a very pessimistic view about how the house and senate function (or don't), and how the speaker handles things.

I'm not going to out him by name because I think this is pretty damning, but he wasnt in my district and was the only one to call me back. From home after work no less. Hes also a democrat.

This pretty much sapped my remaining faith in the system so far as the legislature is concerned. He told me the Healey and Warren are heroes to most of his colleagues and they can do no wrong. Paraphrasing here.

Mike

Sent from my cell phone with a tiny keyboard and large thumbs...

Last edited:
REPRESENTATIVE PAUL TUCKER - DEMOCRAT

He emailed me this response:

Good evening xxx, this caught many of us by surprise. The House Judiciary Chairman is sending a letter to AG Healey for clarification of the action she has taken. I await her response to see the next move. Paul

I see hope in this. My email to him was not one of strict 2A, though it could have been. My email to him emphasized that HE AND HIS COLLEAGUES PASS LAWS. Not some rogue AG.

Any Legislator that is willing to accept their elected RESPONSIBILITY is our friend.

Or at least is ethical.

I think this is the part that is most important....in many emails and phone calls, I don't even talk about the gun part. I simply ask the question of how our government works and if they support the executive branch making laws, then I will not support them because they obviously don't understand due process of our democracy.

Then always follow up with if you support the AG making their own laws then I guess it's OK for you that any AG from a conservative state, could make outlaw all abortions he/she doesn't like on a whim overnight, or outlaw free speech they don't like. Turn the tide on them 180 and listen to their minions cringe.

I wrote emails to Chris Walsh from Framingham and Tom Sannicandro. Received a reply from both. The one from Chris Walsh was an honest reply back, but he said because he believes this will go to court and he did not sign it because he views this as a short term maneuvering. The one I received from Sannicandros office pissed me off.. Said they completely agree and support the AG in her decision and that (and I quote the email):

"Given the similarities “Massachusetts-Compliant” weapons share with those military-style weapons banned under state law, and their well-documented capacity for unfathomable destruction in our communities, our office supports the Attorney General in her efforts to close a loophole that some manufacturers have knowingly abused."

This was my reply to that email:

Mrs McAndrews and Mr Sannicandro,

Thank you for your response. When it comes to the safety and security of our community and our country, no one knows that better than myself. I spent 8 years of my life serving this great nation in the US Marine Corps, serving overseas in both Iraq and Afghanistan. I now serve the community at home as a Firefighter and EMT. Everyday, I work on the front lines to protect our citizens and workers, having seen the horrors of the current opioid epidemic. One thing I have yet to see is a member of the community being harmed by a rifle. Considering only 7 people have been killed by any type of rifles in Massachusetts, not just semi-automatic rifles, in the last 10 years, you can see how this is a rare sight.

You mention these weapons sharing military style characteristics, and having extensive knowledge on military and civilian weapons, I have to strongly disagree. Not one of these weapons are fully automatic, nor do they have a selector switch allowing them to shoot anything over a single round. Are these weapons capable of causing harm? Of course, these are guns. Just like a rifle can cause harm, so can a pistol, a revolver, and even an old style musket. When in the wrong hands, they are able to hurt others.. but recent news has also proven that a Vehicle, such as a van is able to cause just as much destruction, if not more. To call these weapons a military style weapon, would be like us calling an car, with a formula 1 body, but a Volkswagen Beetle engine, a race car. They look the same but do not function in the same capacity.

As for the Attorney Generals clarification, new wording was added to the current ban that was not there previously. The Attorney General added that a “copy” or “Duplicate" is any magazine fed, semi automatic rifle that has similar internal components. Under this rule, EVERY SINGLE semi automatic rifle is now banned, as the internal components are the same for almost every gun, to include some handguns. Same goes for the interchangeability test. The wording in the law does not mention anything about components or interchangeability and is something that was newly added by the attorney general without going through legislation or due process. The scope of her new wording is so broad, that legislators, gun store owners and even the NRA and GOAL do not know what is even currently legal to sell. As the AG, it is her responsibility to enforce the laws as it is written and to protect the civil liberties of those under her jurisdiction. While Chapter 93A allows the Attorney General to regulate current laws, it does not allow her to redefine them herself. The Assault weapons ban has been around for over 20 years and was not interpreted this way on a federal level, nor was it interpreted by Attorney General Coakley, or the Attorney Generals before her. In 2014 when the AWB issue was brought up, AG Healey herself did not express any concerns with the way things were being handled at the time.

We do not blame the engine size of a vehicle when a person is drag racing and kills an innocent person. We do not blame the type of vehicle when a drunk driver kills a bystander behind the wheel. We do not even blame vans, pressure cookers, box cutters, or even fertilizer when they are used in some of the most devastating terrorist attacks ever seen in this world. Instead of blaming guns for these issues, we need to hold those who use them improperly responsible. Let us enforce minimum sentences that are already in place for those who use weapons to commit a crime instead of giving them plea bargains. Let us stop penalizing law abiding citizens who follow the laws, and uphold the strict regulations currently set by the State of Massachusetts to punish those who explicitly break these laws in order cause harm to others. Even if we get rid of EVERY single gun out there today, it will not prevent those who wish to cause harm and fear from carrying out their desires.

The issue at hand it not the weapon types themselves. The issue at hand is preventing those who will stop at nothing to inflict harm and cause mass panic and fear.

I do not even personally own one of these weapons that are under scrutiny. But I am extremely angry about the issue because the actions of the Attorney General remind me of ones used by Dictators and Queens, and not those of politicians and a democratic government.

Regardless of how anyone stands on this issue, this is still an over-reach of the powers afforded to the attorney general. I am willing to work with the government to make our communities safer. But let us do it through debate, voting and legislation and not through the politically backed interpretation of one person with only hours of notice to the representatives, store owners and the citizens of the community.

If any representative believes the attorney generals actions are constitutional and even morally correct, then they are someone I will not vote for and will do everything in my power to educate the public so they will also not make the same mistake.

Thank you..

(mic drop)

Sorry for the long post above.. Either way, if you are from Framingham (Walsh) or Ashland (Sannicandro) please keep reaching out to them.. Show it's not just one person that's pissed off but an entire community

I received the following reply from Senator Eric Lesser, but nothing yet from Representative Brian Ashe.

Gary,

Thank you for reaching out regarding Attorney Genera Maura Healy’s recent notice to licensed gun dealers in Massachusetts about the assault weapons ban. I have spoken to the Attorney General, as well as my colleagues in the Senate, and I understand the concerns you have about how this decision was made and what will happen moving forward. Please know that I am working closely with the Attorney General’s Office to ensure that any action taken is done fairly and legally and that our constituents have a voice in the process.

If you have any immediate questions or concerns that you would like addressed, I am happy to facilitate a meeting or phone call with the appropriate person in the Attorney General’s Office.

As always, I appreciate your feedback on important issues like this one. Please don’t hesitate to reach out in the future.

Best,
Eric

From my Senator.

Dear Robert,

Thank you for your email. The Attorney General should not have changed this law without any sort of public process or input from gun owners. I learned of this change through the news last week and was not given any information prior to her press conference.

Over the weekend, my colleagues and I mailed a bipartisan letter to the Attorney General asking her to rescind the July 20, 2016 Enforcement notice. I have attached the letter to this email and I look forward to the Attorney General’s response. I have always supported the Second Amendment rights of my constituents and I appreciate you contacting my office.

Respectfully,

Jennifer L. Flanagan
State Senator
Worcester & Middlesex District

The one I received from Sannicandros office pissed me off.. Said they completely agree and support the AG in her decision and that (and I quote the email):

"Given the similarities “Massachusetts-Compliant” weapons share with those military-style weapons banned under state law, and their well-documented capacity for unfathomable destruction in our communities, our office supports the Attorney General in her efforts to close a loophole that some manufacturers have knowingly abused."

Yeah, I got that bullshit, too. Sannicandro is a ****ing scumbag. We need to vote his ass out, and I will campaign for anyone running against him regardless of party.

Thank you. Just emailed my Rep and Senator, both who did not sign this letter. Hopefully I can speak with them on Saturday.

Yeah, I got that bullshit, too. Sannicandro is a ****ing scumbag. We need to vote his ass out, and I will campaign for anyone running against him regardless of party.

The only good thing I guess is that this is his last term. He stated last year he doesn't plan on running again after being in that position for 10 years. Just gotta make sure we vote for someone who is going to stand up for our constitutional rights this upcoming election

If you guys are planning to speak with your rep or senator, it is probably best to try and make an appointment. I'm not saying you wont be able to speak with them but it will increase your likelihood of sitting with them.

Guys, this is not my info so I do not want to take credit for it. It comes from the YouTube channel Guns & Gadgets. He is local and has great info. He usually has the most up-to-date info as well.

People you should plan to meet and talk with:

Governor Charlie Baker - Room 360
Senate President Stanley Rosenberg - Room 332
House Speaker Robert DeLeo - Room 356
Your Local State Senator
Your Local State Representative

Check out this video;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeytvcMNcS0

Make phone calls! Sen Pacheco is good with inaction and letting this be settled in the courts which will go on for years with the axe hanging over many heads.

ALOT MORE people also need to be calling Senate President Stan Rosenburgs office and asking him to rescind the AGs directive and support Sen Humason's bill SD2637.

Seemed like new news when I hit all the points with the aid in Rosenburgs office

Democrat, (affects Dems to)
Amherst
Boston, MA 02133
617-722-1500

Email: [email protected]

Last edited:
Letter to my Senator

Good Morning Senator Rush,

Thank you for your current support on this issue, I was very glad to hear you opposed the AGs actions. I know the statehouse is in session this Saturday and would love to meet if you are available.

The legislature was able to pass the 'upskirting' bill in 2 days due to the emergency the court order presented, this issue is an even more dire emergency with 400k formerly law abiding gun owners subject to felony charges at the AGs whim, with zero protection from local DAs who may decide to prosecute.

Please propose a copy of HD4949 in the senate which returns MA law to the status quo pre-7/20 and SD2637 which strips the AGs authority to dictate firearms rules in MA. The AG has already demonstrated that the office cannot be relied upon to reasonably dictate such rules. It is important to reiterate that HD4949 does not repeal the MA AWB it simply returns the enforcement of law to status quo on 7/19.

Make no mistake, this is an EMERGENCY and these bills need to be pushed before the legislature goes into recess for the elections. Felony charges for myself and 400k other MA gun owners are the potential consequence of the legislature failing to pass a bill ASAP.

Additionally of concern the AGs office has refused to answer my entirely reasonable questions about the definitions of terms she uses in her 2 part test. Particularly the term "operating system", this term is not included in the law however it will be part of the test the AGs office will use to determine the legality of the firearm. Without defining the term how is a gun owner to know if their firearm fits the definition? If the AG defines the operating system as 'blowback' 'direct impingement' etc what she is saying is all semi auto firearms in the state of MA are illegal, handguns, rifles whatever.

This concern is reiterated by Secretary of Public safety Bennet who in his letter to the AG states “Depending on how your office is interpreting the two-part test you have articulated for determining whether something is a ‘copy or duplicate’ of a listed assault weapon, a large number of firearms, including pistols that have been sold here legally for decades, may be unintentionally affected,”. He goes on to express concern that firearms like the 1911, a firearm designed in you guessed it 1911 with no doubt tens of thousands in MA, are now banned and illegal to posses.

I do hope to meet with you on Saturday, we need to act now to close the legal loophole the AG is using to declare hundreds of thousands felons and restricting the firearms that can be purchased in MA going forward. I look forward to hearing from you.

Letter to my Rep

Good Morning Rep. Scaccia,

Thank you for your current support on this issue. I know the statehouse is in session this Saturday and would love to meet if you are available.

The legislature was able to pass the 'upskirting' bill in 2 days due to the emergency the court order presented, this issue is an even more dire emergency with 400k formerly law abiding gun owners subject to felony charges at the AGs whim, with zero protection from local DAs who may decide to prosecute.

Please support HD4949 which returns MA law to the status quo pre-7/20 and HD4948 which strips the AGs authority to dictate firearms rules in MA, the AG has already demonstrated that the office cannot be relied upon to reasonably dictate such rules.

Make no mistake, this is an EMERGENCY and these bills need to be pushed before the legislature goes into recess for the elections. Felony charges for myself and 400k other MA gun owners are the potential consequence of the legislature failing to pass a bill ASAP.

Additionally of concern the AGs office has refused to answer my entirely reasonable questions about the definitions of terms she uses in her 2 part test. Particularly the term "operating system", this term is not included in the law however it will be part of the test the AGs office will use to determine the legality of the firearm. Without defining the term how is a gun owner to know if their firearm fits the definition? If the AG defines the operating system as 'blowback' 'direct impingement' etc what she is saying is all semi auto firearms in the state of MA are illegal, handguns, rifles whatever.

I do hope to meet with you on Saturday and look forward to your continued support.

Feel free to use.

Contacted Montigny and Strauss, Strauss is on board with us and has sent a letter to the AG

letter from my sen just now.
Re: Attorney General’s assault weapons ban enforcement notice

Dear Friend,

My records indicate that you have contacted my office with concerns about Attorney General Maura Healey’s recent “Enforcement Notice” on the Massachusetts Assault Weapons Ban. I write with an update on this matter.

In the time since the Attorney General made the announcement, I have researched the statute under which the Attorney General acted, along with other relevant precedent and legal history. Based on that research, I fully support Attorney General Healey’s actions.

The goal of the 1998 Assault Weapons Ban was to restrict access to a certain type of firearm because of the particular lethality of these guns. The legislation also recognized that simple changes to peripheral features of such guns could skirt the law, which is why Chapter 140, Section 121 of the Massachusetts General Laws explicitly prohibits the sale of “copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber”. Given that, I believe the actions of the Attorney General are in line with the original legislation’s intent and are within the office’s statutory authority as the state’s top law enforcement official.

I further understand that the Attorney General’s enforcement notice is a notification of her office’s intention to enforce the law prospectively, and that it will not be used retroactively to prosecute anyone who has bought or sold such weapons prior to July 20th of this year.

I respect the rights of law-abiding sportsmen in my district. I respect the laws of the Commonwealth. Copycat assault weapons marketed as “state compliant” are designed specifically to circumvent the laws of the Commonwealth and are a threat to our public safety. I believe that the Attorney General’s action respects both the letter of the law and the Second Amendment rights of our hunters and sportsmen.

Again, thank you for reaching out to my office on this matter. Should you wish to review additional information regarding the enforcement notice, statements by the Attorney General are available here.

Sincerely,

BENJAMIN B. DOWNING, State Senator

Berkshire, Hampshire, Franklin and Hampden District

Dear Friend,

My records indicate that you have contacted my office with concerns about Attorney General Maura Healey’s recent “Enforcement Notice” on the Massachusetts Assault Weapons Ban. I write with an update on this matter.

In the time since the Attorney General made the announcement, I have researched the statute under which the Attorney General acted, along with other relevant precedent and legal history. Based on that research, I fully support Attorney General Healey’s actions.

The goal of the 1998 Assault Weapons Ban was to restrict access to a certain type of firearm because of the particular lethality of these guns. The legislation also recognized that simple changes to peripheral features of such guns could skirt the law, which is why Chapter 140, Section 121 of the Massachusetts General Laws explicitly prohibits the sale of “copies or duplicates of the weapons, of any caliber”. Given that, I believe the actions of the Attorney General are in line with the original legislation’s intent and are within the office’s statutory authority as the state’s top law enforcement official.

I further understand that the Attorney General’s enforcement notice is a notification of her office’s intention to enforce the law prospectively, and that it will not be used retroactively to prosecute anyone who has bought or sold such weapons prior to July 20th of this year.

I respect the rights of law-abiding sportsmen in my district. I respect the laws of the Commonwealth. Copycat assault weapons marketed as “state compliant” are designed specifically to circumvent the laws of the Commonwealth and are a threat to our public safety. I believe that the Attorney General’s action respects both the letter of the law and the Second Amendment rights of our hunters and sportsmen.

Again, thank you for reaching out to my office on this matter. Should you wish to review additional information regarding the enforcement notice, statements by the Attorney General are available here.

Sincerely,

That's disappointing. I just met with him a couple of weeks ago on a different matter. He seemed very reasonable.

Dear Friend,

Sincerely,

the response to this needs to be that even if he agrees with her actions, that the promise not to prosecute is not solely held by her office. that there are tens of thousands of otherwise law abiding citizens that are now at risk and something needs to be done.

this is a good application for this argument. if someone is on the fence, i would argue it differently.

Kate Hogan replied to my email today:

Thank you for reaching out to my office regarding MA Attorney General Maura Healey’s recent Assault Weapon Ban Enforcement Directive.
Following the announcement, I and other members of the House of Representatives discussed the many emails and calls we were receiving from responsible gun owners, in our districts, who were confused as to which weapons are now considered assault weapons.

Lawful gun owners, who follow the rules, should have clarity when it comes to enforcement of these gun control measures. We feel that a clearer understanding of the directive was essential to fair application of the law.

In response, House Judiciary Chair, John Fernandes drafted a letter to the AG’s office respectfully requesting clarification of the directive. The letter also asks the Attorney General to explain the rationale, details, and implications of the directive and invites the Attorney General to arrange a legislative briefing with members of the legislature.

I have embedded the letter we will be sending once it has been signed by House members. As we await word from the Attorney General’s office, I will continue to reach out to stakeholders across the Commonwealth on this issue.

If you have any further questions, comments, or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact my office.

Sincerely,
Kate Hogan

The attachments contain the same letter as the one in Post #28.

1 of the reps for my area replied to me that she supports the recent letter that was sent but her name was on the list. Havent had a chance to respond and ask how she supports it but didnt sign it.

Her reply
Good morning xxxx

I hope all is well. Thank you very much for reaching out on this important matter. As a strong supporter of the 2nd Amendment and opponent of proposals that would infringe upon the rights of law-abiding gun owners, I very much share your concerns regarding the AG’s decision. I am also a supporter of the letter that was recently sent out.

As always, if I can ever be of assistance on this or any other matter, please don't hesitate to let me know.

Best Regards,

Diana

Diana DiZoglio

State Representative

14th Essex District

State House Room 33

617-722-2060

Last edited:
Got a good reply from Rep Mirra

Dear xxxx,

Thank you for writing to me about this terrible decision by Attorney General Maura Healey to re-write our laws regarding semi-automatic rifles, I've heard from many people on it and I want you to know that I am joining a growing group of my colleagues to fight this decision. I joined the protest on the steps of the State House organized by Gun Owners Action League and the many voices there were clear: we cannot stand by idly and let our Constitutional rights be ignored.

I have signed on to a letter to the Attorney General calling for her to rescind her Enforcement Order and we are gathering signatures and support from other legislators as well. We will also be filing legislation to clear up the description of banned weapons so that law abiding citizens can continue to purchase these rifles that are seldom used in crimes.

Please rest assured that I will do everything in my power to protect our Second Amendment rights.

Sincerely,

Representative Lenny Mirra
Second Essex District
State House, Room 548
Boston, MA 02133
Office: (617) 722-2803

I am SHOCKED that my senator, Cynthia Creem, didn't sign. Oh wait, I forgot - she hasn't seen any piece of anti-gun legislation that she didn't love (or write herself).

Dear Friend,

Sincerely,

I just called and email him. Not my district but we are all in this together!

Let's focus on who's in support of legislation and letters in opposition to the AG.

Also, there should be an important bill coming out today that we're going to need to get behind, 100%.

Let's focus on who's in support of legislation and letters in opposition to the AG.

Also, there should be an important bill coming out today that we're going to need to get behind, 100%.

My state rep keeps saying that none of these bills are going to see the light of day until February. Isn't this reality?

For the record, she is on our side.

Back
Top Bottom