Lewis Machine ARs

I've got an LMT upper on a DPMS lower. Aside from some screwy behavior on like the first five rounds I put thru it - it's been fine since then - I've probably put 3500-4000 rounds thru it and have only cleaned it out once or twice.

LMT makes very nice stuff. Worth the money if you have it for a main battle rifle. If you already own a nice AR like a BCM, personally I'd build up a few low end spare rifles instead.

I've always been told that "battle rifle" is defined as something in a .30 caliber (unless it's 7.62x39).

I know LMT has .30 rifles on the AR platform now - but I figured this thread was talking about AR-15 platform rifles specifically.

I've owned a couple of LMT MRPs and currently own a 10.5" LMT SBR upper.

All have run 100%. These are military grade guns that run and run and run. They are not however, exceptionally accurate.

In my opinion, if you want a reliable, accurate gun, RRA is the way to go.

If you want the utmost in reliability, thats where companies like BCM and LMT come into play. Most of my ARs are toys first and foremost so I don't have a burning desire to own many of these kinds of guns.

But thats just me . . . my understanding of a battle load out is something I do in the bathroom in the morning after I have my coffee. ;-)

Thanks all. LMT it is. I'll post pics after I get her home.

Your making a good choice, don't feel guilty about your purchase whatsoever.

People think that High dollar AR's are the same as every other $600 AR, they couldn't be more wrong. As far as functionality goes, cheap AR's can run forever without issues just like expensive ones, but the fit, finish, and overall feel of a high quality, high priced, and reliable AR can't be matched.

This is my 10.5" LMT with a Gemtech Trek.

Here's my long since gone rifle length MRP with a 14.5" barrel.

One thing. I acquired with the MRP a very nice LMT BCG that had their enhanced "lobster claw" bolt. It has two springs acting on the extractor. I've never had it fail in any way. When I realized the MRP was not for me, I don't like quad rails, I sold it but kept the bolt. Its whats currently in my 10.5" gun.

4ife7pi.jpg

Last edited:
I have an LMT and its a sweet ride, eats any ammo i put in it and even tried shooting highpower with it for a couple matches while i waited for find a NM setup. for a 16" and standard battle sights, it shot really well. The upper to lower fit is incredible. I don't think there is a rattle from anything on that rifle.
My largest problem is the barrel swap is so freaking easy, i want a 10" barrel for it, but i don't want to alter the lower to apply for a tax stamp. (mental issue there i have to get over). The trigger is on the heavy side, but that is appropriate for a CQB platform.

However at 1800 now a days, is it worth the price? There are others out there for less that can do the same, you just wont have the MRP barrel setup.

One thing to note - if its a mass compliant one (didn't look to see if you were in MA), the SOPMOD stock is not just pinned. Its a different buffer tube that does not have the adjustment holes in it. So if you move out of state you have to do more than just back out a screw or pin.

I have a CQB Defender and love it. Someone here said they are not accurate, I tend to disagree. Mine was a tack driver right out of the box with the iron sights. When I zeroed it, I only had to make minor horizontal adjustments, no vertical adjustments. Groupings were very tight. Havent put an optic on it yet.

The comment about the stock is true. In fact, unless I've missed something, its impossible to access the battery/storage compartments in the MA compliant stock, you cant unscrew them. If this is not correct, someone please explain to me how to open them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I had a LMT MRP factory SBR.
A lower is just a lower, but the MRP upper is a very nice piece of hardware.

Last edited:
The B5 has QD sockets?
As far as I know, no. The B5 is a copy of the military contract SOPMOD stock.

The LMT comes with or without QD sockets.
The QD sockets were a commercial consumer feature that the military contract stocks do not have.

I want the monolithic upper specifically w/ the QD barrel system - which also can take traditional barrels. Hard time finding it.

The MRP uppers are not quite "quick detach". You need a torque wrench and a torx bit. Owning AUG's I would not call the MRP chassis quick detach. But the barrels do swap out nicely and it only takes a few minutes.

Traditional (normal) AR barrels do not work with the MRP chassis without sending them out for modification.

To make your decision a little easier - http://centerfiresystems.com/AR-DEFENDER2000LMT.aspx

Currently out of stock, but at this price might be worth backordering and waiting. If I hadn't just bought an AR and a bunch of ammo I'd be all over this. This is assuming they will make it Mass. compliant for you. (Or you're willing to move).:)

Last edited:
Yes they do. I have the B5 Bravo - easily my favorite stock. Difference between the B5 SOPMOD and Bravo is the Bravo doesn't have storage and has an angled rear.

I shouldn't have posed my statement as a question, but yeah it does have sockets. However, there is a B5 stock that does have storage. ~$100 vs ~$60. I think it's angled the same.

B5 Bravo:

B5%281082%29System-Bravo-Stock-BLK-3.jpg

B5 Enhanced SOPMOD:

xb51021.jpg

Last edited:
I shouldn't have posed my statement as a question, but yeah it does have sockets. However, there is a B5 stock that does have storage. ~$100 vs ~$60. I think it's angled the same.

The B5 Sopmod($100) has storage/straight rear. The Bravo($60 - was on sale on BF for around $40!) has no storage and a angled rear. Here's a breakdown of the two:

http://jerkingthetrigger.com/2012/12/19/review-b5-systems-bravo-sopmod-stock/

Didn't realize the Bravo is a bit shorter and has a different adjustment lever.

I got my direct like 2 years ago and they shipped it the same week. I think there are retailers that have them in stock though:

https://www.rainierarms.com/?page=shop/detail&product_id=358

I bought mine probably 3-4 years ago. Ordered direct off their website. If I remember correctly it took a month or so to get it.

I got the monolithic upper with the QD 18.5" stainless barrel. Had State Line pin on a PWS muzzle brake. People standing next to it don't like the blast - but it does keep the muzzle flip down quite a bit. Plus it's a bit flash hidery and still MA legal.

The comment about the stock is true. In fact, unless I've missed something, its impossible to access the battery/storage compartments in the MA compliant stock, you cant unscrew them. If this is not correct, someone please explain to me how to open them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

My understanding is if you remove the screw that goes through, what should be the, adjustment lever. You can then slide the stock off of the buffer tube and remove the compartment caps.

Think i saw that in the manual after wondering the same thing. However i did not try it.

$1600!!!!ugh.

Thats why I prefer building guns. By the time its together you have completely lost track of how much you spent in the process of building it.

[laugh2]

Don't make a spreadsheet with how much it costs... you won't like the result.

Back
Top Bottom