Leominster Police: Driver in confrontation found with gun, large amount of ammo

Here is an update:
http://www.telegram.com/article/20090116/NEWS/901160680

Looks like he did consent to a search of his vehicle and got screwwed because of it.

Still not enough info BUT sounds like the "Road Rage" was he got cut off, followed to closely after getting cut off and then actually passed the woman.

"Mr. Cordeiro allegedly told police he became angry when he was cut off by a white SUV on Route 140 and started to drive close to the vehicle."
"A woman who came to the state police barracks in Leominster shortly after the arrest told police she was the driver of the other vehicle involved in the incident, and she was able to provide police with additional information. The woman told police that Mr. Cordeiro’s vehicle pulled up next to her and then pulled in front of her SUV. "
Not that the Road rage matters now with a gun charge.
So in these "road rage incidents" I really want to know more of the facts, such as:
  1. Did the lady in the SUV really cut him off? If true it's no excuse for his actions, but it does raise the question as to how many idiot drivers were involved in this incident. I drive 140 and 2 all the time and there are plenty of idiot driver to go around.
  2. How close did he then actually drive to the SUV?
  3. Did he pass her in a legal passing area? Last I knew passing somebody in a legal passing zone was not against the law or necessarily an indicator of road rage.
  4. Did he cut her off when he pulled back over? Again pulling back in after passing is perfectly legal, assuming it's done with sufficient clearance.

Cut-off or not, if he had kept his anger in check, we wouldn't be having this discussion and he'd be happily showing some poor putz where the plumbing isle is at Home Depot.

Cut-off or not, if he had kept his anger in check, we wouldn't be having this discussion and he'd be happily showing some poor putz where the plumbing isle is at Home Depot.

Still, is this the best use of resources the city of leomnister can come up with?

Still, is this the best use of resources the city of leomnister can come up with?

I am afraid that I don't understand your reply. It seems to me that the State Police were responding to a complaint and upon further investigation determined that the individual was not in compliance with the law. Excuse me, but isn't that what the police are supposed to do?

How would you feel the next time you are cut off and you call the coppers and nobody takes the time to check it out? More than likely they won't anyway, but wouldn't you like them to?

Your issue is that you don't like the police enforcing laws that you personally don't like. Personally, if the guy really is into road-rage and assuming for a moment that he has anger management issues (that will have to be determined by the legal system), then maybe he needs to leave his guns at home.

As a resident of Leominster, I don't have any issues with the police response at this time pending more information, of course, and how does the City of Leominster fit into the picture as it was an MSP arrest?

Mark L.

Last edited:
What is the proper answer to the question by an LEO: "do you have any firearms in your car".

You can not lie to him and say no, that is against the law. But you do not necessarily want to say "yes".

If you are carrying, I think you would want to say so, so there are no "misunderstandings" if you get out of the car. But if you have some guns in a box or in the trunk, do you have to admit it? Do you say "I would rather not say"?

I am afraid that I don't understand your reply. It seems to me that the State Police were responding to a complaint and upon further investigation determined that the individual was not in compliance with the law. Excuse me, but isn't that what the police are supposed to do?

How would you feel the next time you are cut off and you call the coppers and nobody takes the time to check it out? More than likely they won't anyway, but wouldn't you like them to?

Your issue is that you don't like the police enforcing laws that you personally don't like. Personally, if the guy really is into road-rage and assuming for a moment that he has anger management issues (that will have to be determined by the legal system), then maybe he needs to leave his guns at home.

As a resident of Leominster, I don't have any issues with the police response at this time pending more information, of course, and how does the City of Leominster fit into the picture as it was an MSP arrest?

Mark L.

It doesn't sound like road rage. It sounds like he was ticked she cut him off, then drove around her. Maybe he got up on her bumper which was stupid and the thing I would be most concerned with. In the end, there is some frickn' moonbat thinking she did the world a favor but at the end of the day, leominster has a lot more dangerous people running around with guns they are actually using against each other.

I don't have a problem with them enforcing the laws (yes, I have a problem with this particular set of laws) but if you look at what they charged him with, the only thing related to the actual "crime" here is a charge of negligent operation of a MV. That seems more harsh than appropriate given the tailgating seems to be the main issue here, but they didn't see it so I suspect they charged him with something generic based on his statements.

The other stuff is unrelated and is completely overshadowing the situation, playing right into the hands of moonbats. Someone can get ticked off at others without flying into a homicidal rage. In fact, getting ticked off and expressing it is far better than getting ticked off and bottling it up. The ones that blow into homicidal rages are the ones who bottled it up over and over again to the point where they get a victim complex and then they snap.

Is this what we are reduced to? If someone does something stupid like cutting us off, we can't honk our horns in displeasure. Is this now road rage?

PS: The bit about leominster is although it is not worchester or Lynn, it isn't wonderland either. It has a good bit of crime.

Last edited:
What is the proper answer to the question by an LEO: "do you have any firearms in your car".

You can not lie to him and say no, that is against the law. But you do not necessarily want to say "yes".

If you are carrying, I think you would want to say so, so there are no "misunderstandings" if you get out of the car. But if you have some guns in a box or in the trunk, do you have to admit it? Do you say "I would rather not say"?

No, you ask them why he pulled you over and if he doesn't answer the question you ask are you free to go. You focus on the traffic stop and force them to either write the ticket (which they absolutely will BTW so don't bitch when they do), or let you go. They can't use failure to answer their questions unrelated to the traffic stop as probable cause.

Road Rage

Mark L.

Bullshit. I had a cage driver deliberatly try to kill me on RT.2 5 years ago while riding my motorcycle to work. I pulled off RT.2 in Acton and went to the PD w/his plate # and description. The desk cop told me it wasn`t their problem, go to the State Police barracks in Concord. I rode to the State Police barracks and the desk cop said they wouldn`t go on a wild goose chase. I told them the guy was still on RT.2 and they said it was my word against his. He told me to file a complaint with the registry. I did and never heard from them.

Bullshit. I had a cage driver deliberatly try to kill me on RT.2 5 years ago while riding my motorcycle to work. I pulled off RT.2 in Acton and went to the PD w/his plate # and description. The desk cop told me it wasn`t their problem, go to the State Police barracks in Concord. I rode to the State Police barracks and the desk cop said they wouldn`t go on a wild goose chase. I told them the guy was still on RT.2 and they said it was my word against his. He told me to file a complaint with the registry. I did and never heard from them.

What's BS? Most of the time the police will react much like you described which I indicated in my post. It sounds like you had a typical experience. Mr. Cordiero and the person filing the complaint didn't. Your experience mirrored reality as most experience it.

I also suspect, but cannot prove, and this is only anecdotal, that there is a certain predjudice against motocyclists by law enforcement. Maybe if you had been driving a BMW sedan, you would have had a different response.

Mark L.

Last edited:
Road Rage?

What's BS? Most of the time the police will react much like you described which I indicated in my post. It sounds like you had a typical experience. Mr. Cordiero and the person filing the complaint didn't. Your experience mirrored reality as most experience it.

I also suspect, but cannot prove, and this is only anecdotal, that there is a certain predjudice against motocyclists by law enforcement. Maybe if you had been driving a BMW sedan, you would have had a different response.

Mark L.
I have road rage every day because I drive in Ma. w/idiots who don`t respect the traffic laws.

What Mark056 said, know the laws, especially if you live in a free state bordering Mass.

Yeah, getting into any confrontation is not smart when possessing firearms, even legally. And even when it is the other guy who is raging. I wasn't carrying but coming back from the range loaded with a bunch of stuff when a guy, guido with fat gold chains and an impala SS (major compensation issues...), wigged out and literally began using his car as a weapon against my car (actually my GF brand new BMW). All because I wouldn't just acquiesce when he tried to cut me off*. He then got in front of me and slammed on the brakes in an attempt to get me to rear end him. I bailed into the right lane to get away and he followed me to try it again, where I then went back to the left and he was stuck in the right lane. He pulls up next to me and tries to bait me into fighting him calling me a fag, etc and he was bright red and doing just about everything he could to get me to fight back. He was beyond out of control. I just said "yes, I suck cock and like a good bone in my ass", etc; ticking him off even more because his taunts wouldn't work. All the while I had a buddy on speaker phone who couldn't believe what he was hearing. I should have hung up and called the cops because this guy wouldn't stop and I am sure 911 would have gotten him on tape had I, but alas I figured my friend was hearing the whole thing and I told him to call peabody MA cops if this guy gets out of his car. This way if the cops didn't get there, I would have had to deal with why there were 6 handguns in the back of the car. The light changed and he squeezed me into on coming traffic before speeding off.

It was then I decided that I had better move out of watertown and get my restrictions lifted. I am still in that process [angry](despite carrying in NH all of the time). That is probably the only time I have ever been scared for my personal safety and I have raced motorcycles, hiked the backwoods in the dead of winter in a storm, etc.

* I was in the left lane, he was in the right both lead cars at a red light. Light changes and he then took up both lanes and I honked. This was coming out of peabody sq heading towards salem for those that know the intersection and the worn out lane divider there.

What's with the ethnic slur?

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido_(slang)

See also
Goombah
Wog
Wop
Cholo
Dago
Guinea

I'll PM you with my last name. [smile]

So I take it you were referring to it the other way.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guido_(slang)

The stereotype is usually considered derogatory or an ethnic slur; however, it is, in many cases, used as a term for an Italian criminal in the Mafia in areas where Guido culture is common, much like the term "goombah." In fact, "goombah" and "Guido" have often been used interchangeably. However, in recent years, the term "Guido" has been applied to a certain clothing style rather than just a person of Italian ancestry. Due to the emergence of this term, some people have been referred to as "Guido" despite the fact that they have no Italian ancestry.

Forgive my sensitivity, I sometimes get a lot of shite for my Italian heritage.

It`s hard to let it go when these idiots are putting our lived in danger. These liberal anti-gun types whine about guns but ignore the real threat to our everyday lived. Idiots in cars.

It's hard but it's the right thing to do. Road rage is not the answer.

Belated update.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/COURTHOUSE+RECORDS-a0203263327

Brian Cordeiro, 31, of Fitzwilliam, N.H., charged with carrying a dangerous weapon and reckless operation of a vehicle. The charges were continued without a finding for 1 year. As conditions of probation, he was ordered to have no contact with the victim, not to possess, carry, own, or sell weapons, and to pay $65 a month probation fee or to complete 8 hours of community service a month. Charges of carrying a firearm without a license, four counts of possession of a large capacity firearm, and six counts of possession of a firearm without a firearm ID card were dismissed upon payment of $1,000 fine.

Excuse me, but isn't that what the police are supposed to do?

My guess is that the big issue was the search, and that the this deal was negotiated because of issues regarding the legality of the search, and if consent was "freely given" or otherwise permitted (there was a recent case at BC where drug evidence was discarded because there was not sufficient proof the student consented to the search).

There is a case in Ashland working its way through the system and the defense is already raising the search issue. An officer searched a car at a traffic stop and found a 357 in a "secret compartment" in the car. It's definitely a case with unsympathetic defendants and does not appear to be decent citizens caught in a malum prohibitum tap.

My guess is that the big issue was the search, and that the this deal was negotiated because of issues regarding the legality of the search, and if consent was "freely given" or otherwise permitted (there was a recent case at BC where drug evidence was discarded because there was not sufficient proof the student consented to the search).

There is a case in Ashland working its way through the system and the defense is already raising the search issue. An officer searched a car at a traffic stop and found a 357 in a "secret compartment" in the car. It's definitely a case with unsympathetic defendants and does not appear to be decent citizens caught in a malum prohibitum tap.

I saw this in the MWDN - what got my attention was that ( at least originally) ALL occupants were charged with illegal posession.....

I mean, it's nice ot share, but come on!

Wow awesome. It just comes down to money. My sympathy for idiots just ran out.

Not really surprised he actually got hit harder than most.....because he was a decent member of society and had a job.

Most of the time I read in the T&G court section about illegal aliens having hi cap pistols with defaced serial numbers and getting off dismissed with a 50 dollar fine....

Road rage is kinda hilarious to me....I used to get it..... Now I could care less. Listening to talk radio in the car after the election has been known to raise my blood pressure though.......

Last edited:
Typical Rt 2 rush hour with pickup trucks and NH plates
I don't understand. According to the Granite State cheer squad here, NH is Heaven, and MA is Hell. Why would they come here for any reason?

I drive regularly to our office in Auburn NH at rush hour. Anyone who thinks the drivers in S NH are any more courteous, skilled or patient than the MA drivers is delusional.

Ironically, other regions have gotten so much worse we're no longer considered the worst. If you go by fatalities, rural states are worse, while total accidents involve more populous states and metro areas. But Boston isn't even in the bottom 20. Scary that!

Last edited:
because he was a decent member of society and had a job.

Most of the time I read in the T&G court section about illegal aliens having hi cap pistols with defaced serial numbers and getting off dismissed with a 50 dollar fine....

You are so right. Illegal aliens have other things to pay for, like income tax, excise tax, health insurance, car insurance, school loans(when not granted a full scholarship), credit card bills, FICA tax, medicare, SS, etc. I mean c'mon, they have to make it in this country too!
rollseyes.jpg

One time I was driving through a parking lot and cut off another driver. My fault, my head was in the clouds. I stopped and apologized while looking right into the guys eyes. He waved me off and I drove away. Apparently this wasn't good enough because a mile down the road this guy put his mini-truck in front of me and got out of his vehicle.

So I drove around him while pushing my nose with my left hand and honking my horn with my right hand. The look on his face was priceless, situation defused. I encourage you to use this less than lethal technique.

Road rage is kinda hilarious to me.

Me too. For some reason being in an automobile turns people into Superman. Ever accidentally bumped into someone at work or in the supermarket? Do you start a fight with them, or say excuse me and go on your way?

Back
Top Bottom