Leominster Police: Driver in confrontation found with gun, large amount of ammo

If you're going to do road rage, make sure you have your Mass out of state LTC.

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/police/ci_11459578

LEOMINSTER -- A New Hampshire man has been ordered held on $50,000 bail after state police say they caught him with weapons and ammunition in his truck on Mill Street in Leominster.

Brian Cordeiro, 31, of 24 Jock Page Road, Fitzwilliam, N.H., was arraigned in Leominster District Court on Wednesday for three counts of possessing a firearm of large capacity, carrying a dangerous weapon, carrying a firearm without a license and negligent operation of a motor vehicle.

State Police responded to Route 2 East in Leominster at around 6:20 p.m. Tuesday to investigate a report of the driver of a gray pickup allegedly harassing the occupant of another vehicle, according to a report from Trooper Timothy Foley.

The pickup exited Route 2 in Leominster and pulled into the D'Angelo parking lot at 231 Mill St.

Police confronted Cordeiro in the parking lot, according to Foley's report. Cordeiro told the troopers that he came from Fitzwilliam and was on his way to work at Home Depot in Leominster, according to the report.

Cordeiro denied being involved in a confrontation with another vehicle, according to police report.

When troopers went to look through Cordeiro's truck, he informed them that he had an unloaded handgun in the center console, they said.

Troopers found an unloaded Glock .40 caliber handgun and a double-edged knife in the center console, according to Foley's report.

They also allegedly found loaded magazines for an AR-15 rifle, and
loaded Scherer magazines for the Glock handgun. In all, there were nine loaded magazines in the vehicle, according to Foley's report.

Police placed Cordeiro under arrest after he informed them that he did not have a license for the weapons or ammunition. During booking, Cordeiro allegedly admitted to police that he became angry when he was cut off by a white SUV on Route 140 and began driving close to the vehicle.

Judge Martha Brennan ordered Cordeiro held on $50,000 bail during his arrangement Wednesday. He is due back in court for a pretrial hearing on Jan. 26.

Glock Fotay and AR15 magazines..... OMG, call the FBI.

If he was in NH what would he be charged with?

Road Rage?

Yup -- he was guilty of not knowing the frigged up Mass laws concerning firearms. Of course, if it had happened in the Manchester area, he wouldn't have even been charged with road rage -- it would've been considered a normal commute.

If he had not let the police search his truck in the 1st place it would have been best.
Again you may not think there is anything in your vehicle which is illegal but you never know if there is some state, town or city law which will bite you.

We don't know that he "let" them search it. My guess is that even if he refused, the officers would've felt they had probable cause.

We don't know that he "let" them search it. My guess is that even if he refused, the officers would've felt they had probable cause.

True the officers might have felt they had probable cause and searched the vehicle anyways. Maybe that is what happened.
If the report was he was driving aggressively it might not hold up in court as probable cause for a random search against the driver's objections. But maybe he flashed the gun as well and that is the road rage that was called in.

Flip side of that is he got pulled over because of a call of a gray pickup driving agressively, deny driving aggressively to the police, deny the right to search, and the police either ticket him, arrest him, possibly search the truck after arrest, or let him go after 20-30 minutes of getting their point across about aggressive driving. Maybe he would have gotten lucky and it was almost break or lunch time or the end of his shift for the officer?

But hopefully this reminds people to not invite trouble be saying "yes officer you can search my vehicle." or not objecting if the officer just starts to go through your vehicle.
No reason to take that chance.

Speculation [rolleyes]....

All we really know is that a guy is looking at 50 grand to bail his ass out of jail for practicing his constitutional rights.

I can't comment on the search issue because I don't know the circumstances and whether or not he voluntarily consented to a search or what exactly went down. But I do know this: I cannot see how anyone who lives in NH could be so friggin' stupid as to come to the PRM without a non-resident LTC. We have a reputation here, and people who live to the north of us especially in one of the border towns (Fitzwilliam is a little past the border but close enough) should know better by this time. Mr. Cordeiro is guilty of either being ignorant or stupid. If the guy was from Iowa or someplace like that I would be a lot more sympathetic.

This post should in no way be construed as being supportive (as opposed to being compliant) of the current gun laws in Massachusetts, but merely reflects the real world and not what should be.

Mark L.

Last edited:
Yup -- he was guilty of not knowing the frigged up Mass laws concerning firearms.

I bet he knows the MA laws but he decided that his personal safety was worth taking the risk of getting caught, better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6 etc.

Speculation [rolleyes]....

All we really know is that a guy is looking at 50 grand to bail his ass out of jail for practicing his constitutional rights.

You are assuming he was not found guilty of a or multiple felonies before this instance and even could carry a gun legally.
[grin]

These stories never have all the details, makes for boring reading and the newspaper can show less of a political slant with all the details.
The only way to make any meaningful conversation is make a few assumptions and to discuss them. Hopefully we can pull something usefull out of it.
[thinking]

If you're carrying, road rage is not an option. This guy has the IQ of a brick bat

Yeah, getting into any confrontation is not smart when possessing firearms, even legally. And even when it is the other guy who is raging. I wasn't carrying but coming back from the range loaded with a bunch of stuff when a guy, guido with fat gold chains and an impala SS (major compensation issues...), wigged out and literally began using his car as a weapon against my car (actually my GF brand new BMW). All because I wouldn't just acquiesce when he tried to cut me off*. He then got in front of me and slammed on the brakes in an attempt to get me to rear end him. I bailed into the right lane to get away and he followed me to try it again, where I then went back to the left and he was stuck in the right lane. He pulls up next to me and tries to bait me into fighting him calling me a fag, etc and he was bright red and doing just about everything he could to get me to fight back. He was beyond out of control. I just said "yes, I suck cock and like a good bone in my ass", etc; ticking him off even more because his taunts wouldn't work. All the while I had a buddy on speaker phone who couldn't believe what he was hearing. I should have hung up and called the cops because this guy wouldn't stop and I am sure 911 would have gotten him on tape had I, but alas I figured my friend was hearing the whole thing and I told him to call peabody MA cops if this guy gets out of his car. This way if the cops didn't get there, I would have had to deal with why there were 6 handguns in the back of the car. The light changed and he squeezed me into on coming traffic before speeding off.

It was then I decided that I had better move out of watertown and get my restrictions lifted. I am still in that process [angry](despite carrying in NH all of the time). That is probably the only time I have ever been scared for my personal safety and I have raced motorcycles, hiked the backwoods in the dead of winter in a storm, etc.

* I was in the left lane, he was in the right both lead cars at a red light. Light changes and he then took up both lanes and I honked. This was coming out of peabody sq heading towards salem for those that know the intersection and the worn out lane divider there.

I can't comment on the search issue because I don't know the circumstances and whether or not he voluntarily consented to a search or what exactly went down. But I do know this: I cannot see how anyone who lives in NH could be so friggin' stupid as to come to the PRM without a non-resident LTC. We have a reputation here, and people who live to the north of us especially in one of the border towns (Fitzwilliam is a little past the border but close enough) should know better by this time. Mr. Cordeiro is guilty of either being ignorant or stupid. If the guy was from Iowa or someplace like that I would be a lot more sympathetic.

This post should in no way be construed as being supportive (as opposed to being compliant) of the current gun laws in Massachusetts, but merely reflects the real world and not what should be.

Mark L.

+1 - Wrote everything I was thinking and wrote it better...

I dont understand why he wasnt charged with the large capacity feeding devices

Don't give them any ideas...[wink]

I dont understand why he wasnt charged with the large capacity feeding devices

Probably because the police/DA had enough on him already. The gun charge alone is enough to make his life a living hell.

Also, even in a craphole like MA, it's probably easier to hang a guy on a gun
charge than it is on a piece of stamped out metal.

-Mike

Probably because the police/DA had enough on him already. The gun charge alone is enough to make his life a living hell.

Also, even in a craphole like MA, it's probably easier to hang a guy on a gun
charge than it is on a piece of stamped out metal.

-Mike

Yea, but when do they ever forget to leave out another possible felony charge? The more the merrier is usually the way it goes

Yea, but when do they ever forget to leave out another possible felony charge? The more the merrier is usually the way it goes

Could also be the news source getting the facts wrong, too.

I've seen a few of these news reports though where it seemed they could have easily charged the person with more offenses, so that isn't all that uncommon. Not exactly sure why....

-Mike

Yeah, getting into any confrontation is not smart when possessing firearms, even legally. And even when it is the other guy who is raging. I wasn't carrying but coming back from the range loaded with a bunch of stuff when a guy, guido with fat gold chains and an impala SS (major compensation issues...), wigged out and literally began using his car as a weapon against my car (actually my GF brand new BMW). All because I wouldn't just acquiesce when he tried to cut me off*. He then got in front of me and slammed on the brakes in an attempt to get me to rear end him. I bailed into the right lane to get away and he followed me to try it again, where I then went back to the left and he was stuck in the right lane. He pulls up next to me and tries to bait me into fighting him calling me a fag, etc and he was bright red and doing just about everything he could to get me to fight back. He was beyond out of control. I just said "yes, I suck cock and like a good bone in my ass", etc; ticking him off even more because his taunts wouldn't work. All the while I had a buddy on speaker phone who couldn't believe what he was hearing. I should have hung up and called the cops because this guy wouldn't stop and I am sure 911 would have gotten him on tape had I, but alas I figured my friend was hearing the whole thing and I told him to call peabody MA cops if this guy gets out of his car. This way if the cops didn't get there, I would have had to deal with why there were 6 handguns in the back of the car. The light changed and he squeezed me into on coming traffic before speeding off.

It was then I decided that I had better move out of watertown and get my restrictions lifted. I am still in that process [angry](despite carrying in NH all of the time). That is probably the only time I have ever been scared for my personal safety and I have raced motorcycles, hiked the backwoods in the dead of winter in a storm, etc.

* I was in the left lane, he was in the right both lead cars at a red light. Light changes and he then took up both lanes and I honked. This was coming out of peabody sq heading towards salem for those that know the intersection and the worn out lane divider there.

That's really scary. There are a lot of whack jobs out there. A couple of months some clown decided I had pulled out in front of him merging on Rt2. He started flashing his lights and honking his horn. He finally backed off but I kept an eye on him and sure enough he followed me when I got off at the next exit. So I proceeded to run his ass all around Northern MIddlesex county for about twenty minutes until he figured it out and broke it off. No way I was going to go anywhere near where I lived.

That's really scary. There are a lot of whack jobs out there. A couple of months some clown decided I had pulled out in front of him merging on Rt2. He started flashing his lights and honking his horn. He finally backed off but I kept an eye on him and sure enough he followed me when I got off at the next exit. So I proceeded to run his ass all around Northern MIddlesex county for about twenty minutes until he figured it out and broke it off. No way I was going to go anywhere near where I lived.

That was you?!?

been there, done that.

I pulled into a police station parking lot once. The guy kept driving by

Mark L.

Seriously...... I live within a few miles of RI but I don't have a non-resident LTC so I don't venture into RI if I am carrying. Chasing someone down because you don't like the way they drive is dangerous and foolhardy.

Here is an update:
http://www.telegram.com/article/20090116/NEWS/901160680

Looks like he did consent to a search of his vehicle and got screwwed because of it.

Still not enough info BUT sounds like the "Road Rage" was he got cut off, followed to closely after getting cut off and then actually passed the woman.

"Mr. Cordeiro allegedly told police he became angry when he was cut off by a white SUV on Route 140 and started to drive close to the vehicle."
"A woman who came to the state police barracks in Leominster shortly after the arrest told police she was the driver of the other vehicle involved in the incident, and she was able to provide police with additional information. The woman told police that Mr. Cordeiro’s vehicle pulled up next to her and then pulled in front of her SUV. "
Not that the Road rage matters now with a gun charge.

Ok it appears that he consented to the search so that question is answered. But here is one for the LEOs on the board.

Had this knucklehead been asked if he had any weapons in the vehicle and answered in the affirmative, and then was asked if he had a permit for those weapons and answered(truthfully) in the negative am I correct to assume that is probable cause to search the vehicle? Even if he changes his answer to the question about having weapons in the vehicle? Clearly you(LEOs) don't want him to go in the vehicle and retrieve the weapon(s).

My father works at that Home Depot I will have to ask him if he knows this guy. I think he does cause that name sounds familiar.

Back
Top Bottom