Leominster Police: Driver in confrontation found with gun, large amount of ammo

nlaren, your post came out with a strange format, so forgive my cut and paste response. [grin]

I believe the poster was referring to the police taking a complaint, not making an arrest. The police can take a complaint without the need for a second witness (the victim being the first) and then investigate. This could lead to an arrest.

Again, if we are talking about taking a complaint, and we are, the police can take a complaint if the complainant identifies him or herself and gives enough information so as to be "reliable". The police can then investigate in good faith, i.e. pull the perp over for the purposes of investigation. This may lead to an arrest.

We'll have to define "taking a complaint." Do you mean taking down info and completing a report/log entry, or filing a criminal complaint (commonly known as a summons)? The first example could very easily lead to a follow up investigation, motor vehicle stop or even a BOLO, the second would very likely have to be preceded by one of those.

In this case, the arrest didn't have to involve the original complaint in any way (other than for PC purposes) because the driver freely admitted to his illegal behavior. It is possible for a witness statement to lead to an arrest, but in most cases that's going to require some kind of discussion of facts with the person being charged or other compelling evidence.

Refusing to take a complaint, especially in the case provided, is either just plain lazy or malicious; I would bet on the former however.

I can't comment on that. News stories are often vague, biased, focus on the wrong details, or are simply lies published by a reporter. What I was saying is that in general, there can be a whole host of reasons why LE wouldn't make an arrest or even file charges, including for felony offenses.

As for the court personnel "looking up" any of the information you need to file a complaint, that's simply false. They don't have access to DMV records and they certainly don't have access to firearms licensing info. They couldn't even find you an address for you unless the perp is already in the system. In fact they will tell you that they couldn't give out that information even if they had it.

Technically you're correct, but LPD has a liason officer assigned to the court who can look up all of that info.

This is why we need the police to do their jobs because most civilians can't do it, even if they wanted to.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Police charges are hysterical. "carrying a dangerous weapon" that one has always got me. What if he was transporting a regular weapon, not carrying a dangerous one? How does he get charged with three counts of carrying a firearm if he only had one gun?

Cops....hysterical

"Guilty, with four counts of wickywashing and one count of supercalafragalisticexpealadoshus"

He was incorrectly charged by confused cops.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom