• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Legaly displaying firearms at home in Mass

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some fine looking rifles that I keep locked up in a safe. What do I have to do to them to legaly hang them on a wall or put them in a glass case? Trigger locks (ugly), remove bolt, maybe firing pin(s)?

I am only a part-time MA resident so what I have to say take with a grain of salt. Some things might affect things more than others, but first off are there any minors in the house? Do you live in the city or out in the sticks? House or apartment? My family house is a log cabin in the Berkshires with no neighbors (except for the deer, bears & turkeys) to have to worry about freaking anyone out. I would think that if your location is remote or your privacy from outsiders is pretty much guaranteed, you should be able to do what you want as long as you are responsible and have some common sense in choosing how to display your collection. If you live in the city or in an apartment/condo where possibly a maintenance man or landlord/manager could come in at any time then you might want to stick to the storage laws to the letter. I dunno...MA is kinda slippery when it comes to firearms.

They must be in a locked container, or trigger locked.
That said, a locking glass cabinet fits the criterior.
But this really provides no security.
A freind father in law disregarded the law and left his Winchesters on the wall and had himself a heart attack.
First on scene was PD.
He read him his rights as the emt's were doing their thing.
He has no more guns.[angry]

Orvis sells a gun cabinet with a glass front that has steel bars securing the firearms. It costs over $6000, but I'm sure someone makes a less expensive version that still works just as well.

If you are not concerned with security, then a locking glass presentation case would be legal (and keep the dust off).
I recently went to a real estate open house and the homeowner had a wooden rifle rack with a 12 ga, a Springfield 1903 and some other long arms just sitting in open view on the wall. He's lucky a PO didn't stop by.

What about reinforcing one of those cabinets? Replace the glass with plexi or lexan and build a metal tube box that fits inside the wooden display case. If you do it right it shouldn't be discernible, and it would be pretty secure.

Mike

I am only a part-time MA resident so what I have to say take with a grain of salt.

One about the size of Lot's wife.......

I would think that if your location is remote or your privacy from outsiders is pretty much guaranteed, you should be able to do what you want as long as you are responsible and have some common sense in choosing how to display your collection. I dunno...MA is kinda slippery when it comes to firearms.

If you don't know - and you obviously DON'T - don't advise. Especially as "MA is kinda slippery when it comes to firearms."

If you remove the firing pins, fill the barrels with molten lead, weld the actions shut and encase the guns in a Lucite sarcophagus, which is bolted to the floor and guarded by Dobermans, you may be within Mass law..............maybe. [sad2]

If you remove the firing pins, fill the barrels with molten lead, weld the actions shut and encase the guns in a Lucite sarcophagus, which is bolted to the floor and guarded by Dobermans, and cut off your penis, you may be within Mass law..............maybe. [sad2]

Check out these guys...

LINK

They make some beautiful stuff with a strong focus on security. They appear to be the guys who make the ORVIS cabinet.

Last edited:
If you remove the firing pins, fill the barrels with molten lead, weld the actions shut and encase the guns in a Lucite sarcophagus, which is bolted to the floor and guarded by Dobermans, and cut off your penis,you may be within Mass law..............maybe. [sad2]

[laugh2][rofl]

Wow...easy there fella. I was being pretty vague and said "be responsible" and "common sense" and I do think that were a person lives does make somewhat of a difference...even if it is a small one. I guess living in NC has ruined my "common sense" when it comes to firearms storage. You should read everything instead of just what you want to read in interpret or at least ask me about what I meant or elaborate before you say that I obviously DON'T know.

One about the size of Lot's wife.......

If you don't know - and you obviously DON'T - don't advise. Especially as "MA is kinda slippery when it comes to firearms."

They must be in a locked container, or trigger locked.
That said, a locking glass cabinet fits the criterior.
But this really provides no security.
A freind father in law disregarded the law and left his Winchesters on the wall and had himself a heart attack.
First on scene was PD.

Ahh what a reasonable response from the PD... MA what a lovely place.

If you remove the firing pins, fill the barrels with molten lead, weld the actions shut and encase the guns in a Lucite sarcophagus, which is bolted to the floor and guarded by Dobermans, you may be within Mass law..............maybe. [sad2]

Do the Dobermans have to be alive?

Wow...easy there fella. I was being pretty vague and said "be responsible" and "common sense" and I do think that were a person lives does make somewhat of a difference...even if it is a small one. I guess living in NC has ruined my "common sense" when it comes to firearms storage. You should read everything instead of just what you want to read in interpret or at least ask me about what I meant or elaborate before you say that I obviously DON'T know.
MA has very strict laws concerning storage of firearms, with the possibility of being imprisoned for up to 10 years. Specifically, MGL Chapter 140 Section 131c: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131l.htm

When someone asks a specific question about laws in a particular state, it doesn't help to make vague statements about being responsible and using common sense. Laws seldom have much to do with responsibility or common sense -- laws are what they are, and you either know the specifics of the laws or you don't. And if you don't, all you are doing is confusing the situation, and possibly leading someone astray.

In response to the original question, no, removing the firing pin or bolt is not sufficient to stay in compliance with the MA storage law. You could use trigger locks, cable locks, a locking cabinet, etc., to remain in compliance with the law.

From a practical standpoint, I would recommend against displaying your guns. That just increases the chance of them getting stolen.

Ahh what a reasonable response from the PD... MA what a lovely place.

Last year my FIL was having health issues and we needed to call an ambulance while at my house. I helped him to the room nearest the door to meet the ambulance and PD. I then had myself and the spouse block both the doorways if someone decided to go wandering. I would have made him sit outside if there was a place for him to sit but I was feeling charitable and kind that day [wink]. Gotta love what paranoia this state instills in people. And I don't believe I have anything to hide!

Yes I understand that MA has very strict and confusing firearms laws, BUT the author is soliciting adivce from a MESSAGE FORUM. If the person wants advice on the legalities of storage to be 100% in compliance then that person needs to ask a lawyer or their police chief to avoid any legal traps. If someone asks a question on a MESSAGE FORUM then they should expect to get non-professional advice. I don't think that if the author follows the advice of any of the "pros" here and gets popped he can use the "well the people on the NES forum said what I did was fine" defense. What everyone says is advice and no matter who gives it here the person who follows it does so at THEIR OWN RISK. I don't like MA laws but when I go "home" I have to follow them myself, so don't label me as completely ignorant. I know what flies where my cabin is, and what I can "get away" with there could be very different than in other places in the state.

MA has very strict laws concerning storage of firearms, with the possibility of being imprisoned for up to 10 years. Specifically, MGL Chapter 140 Section 131c: http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131l.htm

When someone asks a specific question about laws in a particular state, it doesn't help to make vague statements about being responsible and using common sense. Laws seldom have much to do with responsibility or common sense -- laws are what they are, and you either know the specifics of the laws or you don't. And if you don't, all you are doing is confusing the situation, and possibly leading someone astray.

In response to the original question, no, removing the firing pin or bolt is not sufficient to stay in compliance with the MA storage law. You could use trigger locks, cable locks, a locking cabinet, etc., to remain in compliance with the law.

From a practical standpoint, I would recommend against displaying your guns. That just increases the chance of them getting stolen.

Mattitude: I'm sorry, but you do certainly appear to be ignorant of MA gun laws. There are folks here on NES who know the MA gun laws, including several MA attorneys who specialize in MA gun law, one of whom has posted in this very thread. That attorney wrote that "If you don't know - and you obviously DON'T - don't advise." I agree with him completely.

Your advice that it would be OK "if your location is remote or your privacy from outsiders is pretty much guaranteed" is just plain terrible advice. As CRSIII posted, this type of situation has occurred all too often in MA:
First on scene was PD.
That is what can happen in MA if someone ignores the MA storage law. Telling someone to just follow "common sense" and it will be OK is wrong. Advising someone to "ask ... their police chief to avoid any legal traps" is bad advice as well. Most police officers, including chiefs and licensing officers, simply don't know MA gun laws well at all.

This is a felony conviction we are talking about. You don't know the law. Don't give advice about it.

Yes I understand that MA has very strict and confusing firearms laws, BUT the author is soliciting adivce from a MESSAGE FORUM. If the person wants advice on the legalities of storage to be 100% in compliance then that person needs to ask a lawyer or their police chief to avoid any legal traps. If someone asks a question on a MESSAGE FORUM then they should expect to get non-professional advice. I don't think that if the author follows the advice of any of the "pros" here and gets popped he can use the "well the people on the NES forum said what I did was fine" defense. What everyone says is advice and no matter who gives it here the person who follows it does so at THEIR OWN RISK. I don't like MA laws but when I go "home" I have to follow them myself, so don't label me as completely ignorant. I know what flies where my cabin is, and what I can "get away" with there could be very different than in other places in the state.

As much as your post above makes perfect sense... One of the many reasons NES is such a great place is because it has become such a huge resource for firearms information. More specifically, firearms laws in MA. So when someone asks a question that has to do with how to legally comply with MA law, we make it a point to ONLY give advice when we know it to be true and legal. When something is posted in error, we are always quick to correct it, not to be superior or know-it-alls... but to make sure that all the information on NES is as truthful and factual as possible for those who don't know any better.

As a resource for information, it makes the most sense to stay as black and white as one can. Saying "this is the law, but do whatever you want as long as you use common sense" just isn't helpful when someone asks "how do I comply with the law". Especially when following that "gray area" advice could get them fined, imprisoned, or result in loss of license and ownership of their guns.

Last edited:

Not to mention that laws are not truly tested until case law is built through the trial system - aka results of folks who have been brought to justice for breaking said laws. All laws have a theoretical intent, but until tested that can be interpreted many different ways. Like "secure container"...my tupperware is pretty "secure" for my pasta, doesn't even leak! But for a gun, obviously not. We are left to interpret what secure means as intended by the legislature in the nature and spirit of the law's application.

Until a law is tested in front of a judge and/or jury we really can't be 100% sure in situations like these. And even then, as society changes laws change. Isn't it still illegal for a single man to own sheep in Massachusetts?

I was being pretty vague and said "be responsible" and "common sense" and I do think that were a person lives does make somewhat of a difference...even if it is a small one.

What you think is irrelevant. What the law say is what controls - and that difference is NOT "a small one."

You should read everything instead of just what you want to read in interpret or at least ask me about what I meant or elaborate before you say that I obviously DON'T know.

I did read your drivel - twice. You were wrong both times. Save your down-home, tarheel commentary for NC. In MA, you are just another source of MISinformation.

OK, enough infighting has already happened on this thread. Any more and a moderator might just decide to shut it down. To answer the OP's question about legal display, Frontier Safes used to offer a heavy-duty combination lock (Sargent & Greenleaf Grp. II) safe with a thick bullet-resistant glass (or possibly Lexan) door. Very secure and MA legal way to display and store your long guns.

The laws are no different in your cabin than they are in my house. You may feel that you have different laws because you have no neighbors in close proximity but that does not mean that the laws are different.
When someone posts a question on this message forum they are seeking advice from folks who presumably know what they are talking about. There are plenty of folks who will answer a question by guessing but all in all it's a terrible idea and I'm not sure why someone would do that.
Remember how Obama looked when he said he didn't know what happened in Cambridge and then proceeded to make a comment about it?

I feel that this is a pretty friendly place but scrivener thinks that he is somehow above me by his original condesending tone which continues. I don't see how asking your legal authority proper storage is "a bad idea" since any local arrest would go through that person. It's verhy easy to give advise over the internet and let someone else be the test case because no one has anything to lose BUT the author. Thank you scrivener for putting me down in your own a-hole way and if you read my "drivel" twice I said to take it with a grain of salt and I'm sorry for not also putting the IANAL (maybe you are) as well. Try some internet people skills because there were better ways to show me the error of my advise without your holier-than-thou attitude. I value personal freedoms, I defended them and in said defense I am now permanently disabled at only 38 after 17+ years of service. I don't appreciate you treating me differently but if you have anything negative to say to me/about me then be a man and send me a PM instead of belittling me on a public forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom