Legal transport case?

Is an atache or breifcase (lockable) considered a suitable "locked container" for purposes of transport? Naturally I'd never leave it unattended in a vehicle, it's just too inviting to a theif, but can I use one to cart an extra pistol or two that won't fit in my regular range bag?

What is the def of locked case? thought it had to be hard!?

There doesn't appear to be any hard and fast rule. If there was I would think that GOAL or someone else would have published it and it'd be a sticky here somewhere. "Secure Container" will always be a debateable subject... To me, it's just about any container with a lock that probably can't be opened without tools of some kind.

FWIW I've never heard of anyone getting prosecuted for having a gun in a locked soft or locked hardcase.

On the other hand, a locked container could be a nullity if you have a soft rifle case, say, that has a big hole in the side of it but is still locked... [laugh] course at this point we're doing the whole "what if" game.

The law says "“secured in a locked container or equipped with a tamper-resistant mechanical lock or other safety
device" but what the hell exactly does that MEAN? [laugh] To a locksmith, "tamper resistant" is a TL-30 plate safe.... to joe consumer, it might be DOSKCIL cheapo rifle case with a couple of chinese padlocks on it, or a padded rifle case with a lock on the zippers.

-Mike

Last edited:
Was in 4 seasons one day gent bought a pistol and had a 30 cal ammo can with a big sucker lock on it to carry it home in. I would think a firearm with some type of trigger lock and a "secure container" should be enough to keep any LEO off your back,but IANAL.

I would think a firearm with some type of trigger lock and a "secure container" should be enough to keep any LEO off your back,but IANAL.

According to MGL CH 140, trigger locks are acceptable for storage but not for transport. For transporting a handgun that is not under your direct control, it has to be unloaded, in a locked trunk, locked case, or other secure container.

Just what constitutes a "locked case or other secure container" is an interesting question. Has there been any case law on this?

No:

Picture1.jpg

Better:

Picture2.jpg

Best:

Picture3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom