Lefty shooters

i shoot pistols righty but rifles and shotguns lefty. other than shells ejecting past my face i dont notice a difference. i supposed right hand controls on a pistol you shoot lefty could be annoying.

i shoot everything lefty and im lucky because im left eye dominate, the only differnce i notice is that all guns are made for rightys[smile]

Last edited:
I switched to shooting handguns lefty but I still shoot rifles and shotguns righty. (I'm right eye dominant).

I am right handed but I am Left eye dominant. So I shoot pistols right handed but rifles/shotguns left handed.
Except when I shoot Gunfighter class in CAS. Its one pistol in each hand.

Last edited:
I am a lefty shooter but right eye dominant. I find it difficult to shoot AR15s. I want my right eye on the scope, but my left hand as my trigger hand, and thats difficult to do.

I was having serious problems shooting as a lefty with a dominant right eye, but Ive learned to turn my head more in order to sight properly down the slide through the sights. It was quite a process.

I am a lefty also, but the only gun that I own LH is a Browning A-Bolt Medallion. My 1911 has a modified safety and I find it is definately easier to drop mag with left hand as opposed to right thumb. I have tried shooting right with left eye but recoil throws gun too far to left, but would work in point blank situation, although I'm praying that it would never get that far.

I'm also left handed. It didn't bother me shooting firearms set up for "righties", but I have the M&P 9mm and having the Lefty options & practicing with them now it feels quite normal. I've even added the M&P 9mm compact, although it still has to go out for the trigger job & mag release changeover. I guess the only added issue is looking for holsters that fit your firearm & set-up lefthanded.

Mike-Mike is a lefty, and a real good shot.

Oh stop it!

The only issues I have are with shorties (bullpups). I shoot IDPA and find having to do weak hand drills (righty) are easy because the controls are set up. But I notice rightys panic if they have to reload or slide lock in their weak (left) hand. In other words, All the lefties that where shooting weak hand didn't have to swap hands to reload where almost all the rightys did.

Also, Finding holsters sux!

Why? Just curious![grin]

Was it tough to get used to?

I switched from righty to lefty shortly after I tore off the end of my right index finger in a chain-and-sprocket accident.

It took about six weeks of shooting three times/week to get used to it. Because of the cross eye dominance, I still don't shoot as well as I did righty though.

Also, Finding holsters sux!

Check out First Defense Firearms (NES Sponsor). Dennis is a Lefty and thus stocks a fair supply of LH holsters in his shop.

I'm a lefty and have a lefty son who will be taking over the collection. Handguns don't matter much, except for Sig's that have no left hand safety options. I have both right hand and left hand bolt guns and a left hand semi auto shotgun.

I have had a couple of problems with other semi auto rifles. A Ruger Mini 14 seems to bounce the brass off my face.

I'm lucky that I'm a lefty because it was the right eye that shit the bed. I have to protect the left eye and shoot a Stag lefty AR. Problem is, the subguns eject to the right, but how could I bring to stop shooting them? Jack.

I could shoot with either - started out left, but switched to right as it feels stronger. I am told I am left-eye dominant, but I don't "see" much different in either case - I just have to remember which eye to close..that can be confusing without conscious thought at times - if I switch back and forth.

I do things with both hands with not a lot of rhyme or reason.

Shoot pistols with my strong right hand. Drastically left eye dominant so I have always shot long guns left handed.

I shoot handguns left handed, though I write and shoot long guns with my right. My left hand is just bigger.

I find the revolvers I like so much work great for a lefty. Auto pistols not so well, though I have adapted myself to it.

I think when I take the time I am equally good with either hand and either eye, but it took a lot of shooting to get there.

I am lefty for everything except long arms. I shoot pistols lefty but long arms righty...oh yeah..I'm right eye dominant so that adds to the fun of pistol shooting.

Back
Top Bottom