• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Lefty AR shooters Give Me Your Insight

I'm looking to pick up an AR, and I shoot lefty. Has any other lefty shooters found standard right ejection uppers to be a pain? I know there are lefty AR's out there, but I would rather go with the standard style. They are way more of them out there.

Thanks

Ken

I faced this same dilemma a few years back and decided to go traditional as well. While the lefties are proven and work just the same as the righties, there's something to be said for the traditional designs. FWIW, I went with a righty and haven't looked back. I think its good to be able to shoot both lefty and righty.

<----South Paw

Although I have yet to shoot it, I built a traditional righty AR setup. I did install an ambidextrous safety switch, but that's it. The safety being the most important switch on the rifle, I wanted to be able to flick it without moving my hand from the firing position. The other functions can be operated without too much difficulty. I am sure it will get better with practice.

I went with a lefty and while traditional is nice so is not having empty shells crossing in front of you. Try both if you can. I am in Maine or would offer to let you shoot mine.

I find the safety to be a bit of a pain since its right in the way when in "fire" position, but otherwise no issues. I built two right handed AR's due to availability of parts and greater marketability if I want to sell them.

I am a lefty, and my standard (righty) AR works fine. I guess I am so used to just buying "normal" right handed stuff, that it didn't even occur to me to look at lefty ar's. Didn't know that they existed.
I just swing my thumb around to the other side to operate the safety, and it's only slightly slower, and with practice I could see it being just as fast, or close enough not to matter.

There are ones that are truely ambidextrous, but I'm not sure if they're legal in MA. All of them should be made in such a way in cases where you may need to switch hands to increase cover. I've never understood why all modern weapons aren't made in such a way.

Lefty here, and not 1 thing about a righty AR bothers me....then again I've never tried a lefty version.
Same goes with my other long guns and pistols. Lefties have always adapted to a right handed world.
That's why GOD made us smarter. <<<Ducking!>>> [rofl][rofl]

Stag Arms Left Hand Safety

Lefty%20selector.GIF

I've tried ambi safeties, and the other side of the safety poking my hand annoyed me a little. Plus, I love watching less observant right hand shooters try to figure this one out!!

"Hey, your safety's gone!!"

[rofl]

Right eject doesn't bother me - as long as it's not hitting me (A1 upper with no case deflector, for instance) I don't really notice the brass ejecting in front of my nose anymore.

Last edited:
I bought a Stag lefty Tactical Upper during the AR drought of 08. It is nice not having shells flying across my field of view with the left ejector. There was also a much shorter wait for the Lefy at the time because of the lesser demand. So I am happy with my choice. On the otherhand. I think some of my options may be more limited on gadgets. I don't think I can use the typical brass catchers and it would seem that any bolt upgrades/swaps may not work since I assume the bolt is built opposite for left ejection. Concerns of resale do not bother me since I probably will never sell this rifle and there will always be another Lefty out there if I decide to. I still built the lower with ambi controls so my righty friends can shoot it.[wink]

Last edited:
Several years ago - way before Stag Arms - when the AR bug hit me I had a lefty DPMS AR built to my Specs. It's a real pleasure not to have to adapt to a right handed firearm. While I'll admit it's probably doable to shoot a right handed AR with littel or no problems, it was possible to get it in lefty so I did. Recently I picked up a lefty Stag.

After shooting a right handed Bolt Gun and semi auto in .30-06, I've only bought modern long guns that are left handed. The bolt gun was just a PITA and the Semi auto put a hot case behind my right ear.

By the way a couple of my right handed friends have shot my DPMS and one of them now understands why I had a lefty AR built.

What is the AR that came out recently just for this situation? I can't remember the name, but list the features below

- True ambidextrous controll all around
- Magazine sits on top of the unit
- All spent shells drop out the bottom to avoid things flying across your sight or burning your buddies with hot brass

What is the AR that came out recently just for this situation? I can't remember the name, but list the features below

- True ambidextrous controll all around
- Magazine sits on top of the unit
- All spent shells drop out the bottom to avoid things flying across your sight or burning your buddies with hot brass

Sounds like that 5.7x28 upper. http://www.impactguns.com/store/AR-57 UR.html

I am right handed but left eye dominant. I picked up this lefty AR upper from a member and like it a lot. I have also used Right handed uppers as well. I would suggest looking for a lefty but don't pass up a righty if the price is good either.

DSC_1534.jpg

I am a lefty shooter, and have only ever fired a righty AR. Its what I know. The only mod I am doing is an ambi safetyplike what others have done. The brass never bothered me-but, then again, I never knew anything else.
When I first went into the Army, we had old post Viet-Nam M16's-they didnt have brass deflectors. Without one, shooting sucked. When I used one, shooting sucked-the huge piece of plastic in fron of my face was a distraction. When we finally upgraded to the A2-that little piece of metal sticking out was the greatest thing I ever saw! Too bad it took them that long to figure it out...

I have just adapted to owning right handed firearms. Bolt guns are a pain in the ass though. The only gun that really bothers me is my hi-point carbine. never wear short sleeves and shoot that thing left handed. It will spit hot brass right on your forearm. I have a couple scars to prove it. I actually just installed an ambidextrous safety on my AR a couple days ago. It's a nice little addition. other than that I don't see anything else that would need to be changed.

I am a lefty shooter, and have only ever fired a righty AR. Its what I know. The only mod I am doing is an ambi safetyplike what others have done. The brass never bothered me-but, then again, I never knew anything else.
When I first went into the Army, we had old post Viet-Nam M16's-they didnt have brass deflectors. Without one, shooting sucked. When I used one, shooting sucked-the huge piece of plastic in fron of my face was a distraction. When we finally upgraded to the A2-that little piece of metal sticking out was the greatest thing I ever saw! Too bad it took them that long to figure it out...

This. I shoot my SP1 lefty and had to buy a brass deflector. Make sure whatever you buy has a brass bump and you'll be all set.

I am right handed but left eye dominant too. I prefer my Stag lefty AR over the "Standard" AR. Something about the brass not flying past my face gives me a good feeling.

As long as you never need to fire from the hip in close quarters where a second etc... shot is important then go with the righty. I have a LH Stag and love it. I use a brass catcher with no issues that I got in the group buy and it is ambi. If you are spending the money for something you will keep then I suggest LH just because we are special. Best of luck whichever way you go.

Thanks Guys this is why I joined. I will probably get a righty and maybe try a lefty down the road. I too have learned to adapt to the other people.

Yeah, I remember was I was in the military and had to shoot my M-16 lefty around a corner, forgot about the ejection port and caught a hot one on my hand, wasn't fun...

I have a DPMS "southpaw" model, but a Stag would be much nicer!
The damn nonremovable carry handle is one of it's annoyances...
However, as a lefty, I have never shot a righty.

ace57

Every one that ever joins the service fires a right handed rifle. Im left handed and am so used to the right handed ar platform that I would not care to try a lefty. I may reach for the safty one day and it may not be where its supposed to be.

There are ones that are truely ambidextrous, but I'm not sure if they're legal in MA. All of them should be made in such a way in cases where you may need to switch hands to increase cover. I've never understood why all modern weapons aren't made in such a way.

Why would the not be legal in MA?

You can always get an aftermarket ambi safety, Norgon ambi mag release and an extended bolt release from Brownells to put on any AR.

Back
Top Bottom