Leave guns to the professionals - Letter in local paper

WOW!! What an ignoramus!! Obviously not responsible enough to be exercising his first amendment rights.

One of the local shooters is a Bronze Star (I think with V device) veteran of the sandbox who has had personal encounters with peaceful religious emissaries and IEDS. I remember talking with him while we were waiting to shoot a stage at a match and he told me that he got more nervous waiting to shoot a stage that he did engaging the Taliban. The sentiment was echoed by Jim Cirillo in an American Handgunner article - https://americanhandgunner.com/when-cops-compete/.

'Let the police do the policing. You can call 911 faster and get out of your house quicker than you can; wipe the sleep out of your eyes, locate the gun, load, aim, fire (is your target clear) Oh ohh forgot the safety is still on.'

A few bold assumptions made by the author:
It assumes that the police can be there in moments. I bet most folks here can perform the 5 tasks listed in under 10 seconds. Depending on your community, there may not even be a police department. If there is, there could be a significant response time.

Note the poor grammar throughout the article...

'When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.'

Yes the police are such great shots.[laugh]
The premise of his article is that you should call the police who are trained and will do a better job than you, yet leads with an anecdote about his own miserable failure in a gunfight. Yes, persuasive argument indeed.

One thing I can't stand is antigun people whose argument against the practicality of guns revolves around fictional scenarios where LITERALLY everything goes wrong for you. It's a massive failure of reason ability and consideration of the way people actually behave.

he's a douche bag. obviously he didn't train and prepare well enough for a shoot out. I'm not saying I have any experience in this matter and I hope I never do. But who the hell is he to criticize my skills and pressure under fire. Just because he failed doesn't mean I will. He seems mentally weak.

The problem isn't law abiding citizens with guns. It is the bleeding hear liberal a$$holes that keep letting vermin out on the street and force us further down the road of government dependency. It's a good thing they don't have to send him to an armed confrontation any longer. Seems a total waste of tax payer dollars on that useless load.

Obviously he doesn't have the presence of mind to know when his gun is empty. Must have thought he had a TV gun that never runs out of ammo. Figures the puss monkey is from Boston.

Yes the police are such great shots.[laugh]

He was a great shot when he 5-holed a licensed concealed carrier after leaving a bar at 01:00 to break up a fight.

--Edit - Not hard to 5-hole a guy when he's bent backward over the trunk of a car and you've got your service sidearm planted in his chest.

Last edited:
The premise of his article is that you should call the police who are trained and will do a better job than you, yet leads with an anecdote about his own miserable failure in a gunfight. Yes, persuasive argument indeed.

One thing I can't stand is antigun people whose argument against the practicality of guns revolves around fictional scenarios where LITERALLY everything goes wrong for you. It's a massive failure of reason ability and consideration of the way people actually behave.

Like they say when seconds count police are only minutes away, I carry because of this.

Retired Sgt. BPD,,,, too much time and too much $$$$$,,,,,no he thinks he's a journalist,,,, he wants to write for the Boston Globe

Having been in a home invasion, complete with fire fight, the author is full of shit. Had I not been armed, had I not been willing to protect my family, I am convinced that my wife, my son and myself would be dead. Shots were fired. He missed, I didn't. Threat terminated. I will never surrender my firearms.

Having been in a home invasion, complete with fire fight, the author is full of shit. Had I not been armed, had I not been willing to protect my family, I am convinced that my wife, my son and myself would be dead. Shots were fired. He missed, I didn't. Threat terminated. I will never surrender my firearms.

Thanks for bringing a real situation into this. You should see if you can counter his article.

i get that an actual fire-fight can be stressful, and i've never been in one, but i hope i could count to 6 and reload. i guess sgt. whats-his-name wasn't as well trained as he thought. shoulda stayed on a few more years and he could've carried a standard cap glock (high-cap to those of us in mass)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom