• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LC9s Feed Problems

Anyone had any feed issues with this gun? We tried many mags and they all seem to do it. The gun is about 3 months old.

What could cause this?

Need way more info than that.

Describe what/how things happened.

What ammo?

3 months old. How many rounds gave you fired? Has this happened before.

I have a LC9s Pro that I've carried foe the last few months. It eats everything.

Winchester target 115 grain loads.

The gun ejects the old shell but doesn't feed the next round in, my son has to manually chamber it. It has done it from the start but we thought it was the extended mags but it is doing it with the stock one.

Gun is cleaned and oiled once a week.

My SR 22 did this to me. The recoil spring was in backwards, not cycling hard enough to feed. Very subtle difference in spring ends....nice design Ruger!

That doesn't sound right. Mine ate everything from the day I bought it. Try a few different types of ammo. If that doesn't work call ruger.

Our other 9's eat up the winchester ammo. Once in a great while I get a stove pipe or double feed with my shield and the glock eats it all the time lol

My SR 22 did this to me. The recoil spring was in backwards, not cycling hard enough to feed. Very subtle difference in spring ends....nice design Ruger!

There is no way to put the LC9s spring in backwards. I would think it would do it all the time if it was in wrong.

OP-

so its failing to pull a round out of mag and into chamber? Or is it pulling up a new round but misfeeding?

In the case of scenario 1, If limp wristing it bad enough the slide could short stroke. You mentioned your son shooting it....You also experience this malfunction or just him?

My wife has had issues w some handguns due to limpwristing. A quick fix is to shoot higher grain bullet. More permanent fix is to break in the recoil spring or drop down to a lighter one....or just not limp wrist.

Also, Does the slide move easily when racked by hand?

'Bout 150 rounds through mine. Used a box of the Remmington 115 UMC from Dicks (buy one, get one half off) and had two FTE. Using Federal 115 RTP with no issues. I do have an issue with the slide not locking back but that's probably my grip.

/edit

Forgot to say that I haven't had any feed issues on either mag.

OP-

so its failing to pull a round out of mag and into chamber? Or is it pulling up a new round but misfeeding?

In the case of scenario 1, If limp wristing it bad enough the slide could short stroke. You mentioned your son shooting it....You also experience this malfunction or just him?

My wife has had issues w some handguns due to limpwristing. A quick fix is to shoot higher grain bullet. More permanent fix is to break in the recoil spring or drop down to a lighter one....or just not limp wrist.

Also, Does the slide move easily when racked by hand?

My son is almost 18 and about my size and it does it with me. oh gun fails to pull the next round from the clip but ejects old shell fine.

I took some pics of the barrel which has some wear on it I dont seem to get on my other guns, will post them in a second

2015-06-27-19.27.56.jpg

Barrel looks fine.

either gun reassembled incorrectly or overall issue. Either way call ruger they will issue an RMA in like 2 min.

You're running target loads in a compact business gun!!! It's not made for target loads it's made for defense loads. You can't expect everything from a purpose built gun! Have you tried it with actual defense loads? Full size guns can be more flexible. They have more weight and travel. Compact defense guns are expected to handle middling to +P defense loads. You would probably carry on if the slide battered with +P's as well. It's not a stinking target plinker it's a save your ass from a pocket rocket!!!

Hvymax, as much as agree with you, in my experience with the LC9s I have run everything from crappy steel cased Wolf and Winchester White Box ammo to 147 grain defensive ammo through it. I have yet to have a single FTF or FTE with any ammo.

I love mine. I have gone very few places over the last few months without it in my pocket.

Maybe he should try some heavier loads. Maybe a few hundred to break it in maybe? This is a small performance gun. How many performance cars run well on Regular Gas??? I know I need Sunoco for my Olds and Avgas for my motorcycle. My LCP runs on everything I have put in it as well. These sound like very light target loads. I know my semi shotguns won't cycle Winchester bulk target loads at all. If real loads are too much maybe he should stick with a 22. I have been letting my daughter mock anyone who cries about recoil since she was10. Her favorite gun is my LCP.

Last edited:
+P can be abusive in these as well . Like anything at the EXTREME it has a small performance window. You just can't make a gun this small and expect it to have the same repertoire as a gun twice its size.

Try some heavier bullets and hang on to that sucker when you do.

Bob

Well Duh!!! The first rule of physics is anything you would want to carry you wouldn't want to shoot and visa versa. I have a 45/410 Deringer for non sissies. What part of this is a business gun don't people get!!! It's a pocket rocket designed to fire a round that can actually put a hurt on someone.

Last edited:
My PPS .40 is a small gun that fires a decent size round and everything I put through it, from my Hornady JHP to even cheap aluminum cased junk cycles properly. I think theres something else going on with the OP gun. I recently bought a Mossberg rifle and it wouldnt cycle. Needed a new reciever.

It sounds like it's short stroking. Assuming the gun is assembled correctly my money is on limp wristing or too little lube.

Does it only happen on a full mag? Tight mag springs could be giving you problems.

Or maybe too weak rounds!! Does it happen with defense rounds? Which is what the gun was made for. Limp wristing is such an issue with compacts because the gun has so little mass the energy needs to be made up somewhere and it's your arm. The limited travel also requires a heavier spring to absorb the energy so you have to make up the difference.

Last edited:
OP: Assuming multiple people have fired the gun with the same results (which appears to be the case from your earlier posts) I would do what the earlier responders said. Call Ruger, have them RMA it. I have not heard of an LC9s that is ammo picky, so something is likely wrong with that one in particular.

My guess is either the slide isn't going back far enough to grab the next round (short stroking, seems unlikely in a small framed 9mm), or it is coming forward faster than the next round comes up. This happens with all magazines?

Back
Top Bottom