• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

LA Police Gear cargo pants

I've been holding off for a while in buying any pants with the word tactical in the name. After reading enough positive reviews I decided to take a chance and order a few pairs of LA Police Gear's Tactical cargo pants. I've been primarily a jeans guy my whole life, but jeans aren't the most comfortable option out there. Add to the fact jeans pockets don't allow you carry many items comfortably.
I've read on here that WalMart has cargo pants that are very affordable, but they lack pockets in the right places to store an extra mag. I'm a lefty and the LAPG pants have pockets on both sides that hide a mag very effectively and comfortably. I avoided colors that scream tactical like black and blue. I also went with a size larger as some reviews recommended. So far that's my only regret. I usually wear a 32 waist. I went up to 34 and they're a little looser than I'd like and the pants have a slightly baggy look. Tonight I ordered another pair, coyote brown, in a 32 waist. We'll see how that goes. With an untucked t-shirt or untucked button down shirt they look far more casual than tactical. For hiking in cooler weather these will be far more comfortable than jeans.

Pros:
plenty of pockets mirrored on both sides
pockets are deep
material is strong, but light enough to breath
inexpensive - $18.99 and comparable to anything found at WalMart
plenty of color options
plenty of belt loops
I have a brown leather gun belt from thebeltman.com and a 5.11 gun belt and both work well.
stitching appears to be very strurdy

Cons:
a litte baggy, like a pair BDUs. If you've worn BDUs you know what I mean. The smaller size I ordered may remedy this.
draw strings on the pant cuffs. I cut them off. Problem solved

Last edited:
I get 5.11 pants from work and don't really care for them. I hate the back pockets and while the material is very sturdy, it's also rough and unpleasant for us commando types if you know what I mean.

I have had good luck with truspec tactical pants. For 18.99 I will give these a shit also.

After reading a few of the reviews again it looks like LAPG listend to customer feedback. They had an obnoxious LA Police Gear logo on the cargo pocket flap that is not present on mine.

I have a few pairs of LAPG cargo pants. They are good for camping hiking ect. I dont carry in them in public because they look tactical. The whole idea of concealed carry is to blend in. Criminals look out for things like that, and would probably target them first. Thats my take on it

Prefer the VertX pants. They have pockets... inside of pockets!

xzibit-happy.jpg

Xzibit approves.

Last edited:
I have a few pairs of LAPG cargo pants. They are good for camping hiking ect. I dont carry in them in public because they look tactical. The whole idea of concealed carry is to blend in. Criminals look out for things like that, and would probably target them first. Thats my take on it

You are right, that is why cargo pants are so popular at Sam's Club, WalMart, Costco, etc. All places where cops shop!!

I bought them at all three above stores after taking a defensive handgun course in 2004 where I had to walk around downrange with 50+ rds of spare ammo in my pockets and reload as we walked, jeans just didn't cut it. I never looked back.

I bought 5.11s, they are just OK. When Gunny sponsored Tru-Specs I bought some and that's what I wear all the time. Pockets within pockets are extremely handy, they are well made and well worth what I paid for them (somewhere in the $30s).

Since I don't hang out where the majority of criminals do, I'll take my chances. YMMV

La police gear (usually) has sales on 5.11 "factory 2nds" for like $3 more than the lapg brand. They're twice the quality, and the only issue with them if that the colors weren't deemed acceptable by 5.11 standards. I've got a drawer full and love them. Honestly can't tell the difference between the $23 ones and the $50 ones.

I've got the lapg pants too, but have had issues with them ripping at the pockets over time when carrying anything remotely pointy (example: folding pocketknife, pen, keys). And the center button isn't sewn on good at all. Even though I wear them loose I've still lost buttons due to wear and tear. Just some food for thought [wink]

I buy LAPG pants for yard work and working under my truck, hold up longer than cheap jeans which are more $ at Walmart. No comparison with 5.11, which I don't try to tare to bits, the water resistant coating is awesome in the rain on the 5.11.

Prefer the VertX pants. They have pockets... inside of pockets!

One downside of Vertx pants is that the front pocket openings are cut too low for pocket carry. If I put my PM9 in a pocket holster and sit back in my recliner, the PM9 slides out onto the chair. I've never had that with any other pants.

One downside of Vertx pants is that the front pocket openings are cut too low for pocket carry. If I put my PM9 in a pocket holster and sit back in my recliner, the PM9 slides out onto the chair. I've never had that with any other pants.

I could see that being an issue if I pocket carried with them, they make iwb easier with the tactical sweatpants elastic waistband though.

I could see that being an issue if I pocket carried with them, they make iwb easier with the tactical sweatpants elastic waistband though.

All of the tactical pants that I've had (5.11, Eotac, and Vertx) have elastic waistbands. Only the Vertx pants have the front pocket issues.

All of the tactical pants that I've had (5.11, Eotac, and Vertx) have elastic waistbands. Only the Vertx pants have the front pocket issues.

I was joking about the waistbands lol. The vertx cargo pockets are nice because they are low profile, I like the flat spot on the pockets for a knife too. I definitely prefer them over 5.11's. I wish I could get hands on some TAD force 10 DC pants and check them out they seem nice. God awful expensive though.

Our uniform contract recently switched manufactures from Horace Small (garbage) to Vertex for pants. I haven't received any, yet, but nice to hear that they don't suck, surprising as well.

+1 for Tru-spec. Durable as heck, plenty of pockets (inside pockets) and they wash well...which is important around a toddler...

You are right, that is why cargo pants are so popular at Sam's Club, WalMart, Costco, etc. All places where cops shop!!

I bought them at all three above stores after taking a defensive handgun course in 2004 where I had to walk around downrange with 50+ rds of spare ammo in my pockets and reload as we walked, jeans just didn't cut it. I never looked back.

I bought 5.11s, they are just OK. When Gunny sponsored Tru-Specs I bought some and that's what I wear all the time. Pockets within pockets are extremely handy, they are well made and well worth what I paid for them (somewhere in the $30s).

Since I don't hang out where the majority of criminals do, I'll take my chances. YMMV

I was joking about the waistbands lol. The vertx cargo pockets are nice because they are low profile, I like the flat spot on the pockets for a knife too.

I prefer the 5.11 style rear pockets for my knife. The front pockets of the Vertx cargo pants don't work as well with the Emerson Wave, and with the knife a little farther back the clip isn't quite so visible to someone in front of you. For front pocket carry, I don't want my knife in the same pocket as the gun. And it is that low cut for the knife that makes the pants not work as well for pocket carry.

I do like the Vertx pants low-profile cargo pockets.

Next time we meet up I'll swap pants with you if you want, its OK, its totally not gay as long as we call no homo

This is a great idea!

Tactical high five!

First of all, the above exchange concerns me [thinking], but hey, to each their own[laugh]

Secondly, I got a pair of Vertx original tactical pants, washed 'em, and wore them yesterday for the first time. These are nice pants, I love the pockets and the spot for a knife clip, and pockets inside pockets? WIN. I'll be getting a couple more pair, and will be curious to see how they hold up to outside work use.

I like my LAPG pants a lot. Wish I went a bit bigger. I order everything from them. But yea I love my Propper lightweight tac pants. I wear them every shift at work and they hold up at my dept everyday

I've always felt that the color means more than the actual style of the pants. Obviously if you're wearing a tactical colors (Black,Camo,Navy,etc) you're going to stick out. I have a hard time anybody will look twice at Tan or Coyote colored BDU pants.

Back
Top Bottom