LA Police Gear cargo pants

I got some 5.11 cotton cargo pants. (Covert Cargo?) they're awesome, more comfortable than the more expensive 'business casual' pants that I wear to work. You can get them around $40 through sales, not sure I'd pay retail ($55). I also have a pair of 5.11 Tactical cotton pants, they're not so comfortable, very stiff (padded knees etc).

The Covert Cargo are awesome. Non-mall ninja, comfortable, and yet just that perfect amount of tacticool. I buy them when they have those off-color blem sales. You can't even tell the dye is off color.

I've always felt that the color means more than the actual style of the pants. Obviously if you're wearing a tactical colors (Black,Camo,Navy,etc) you're going to stick out. I have a hard time anybody will look twice at Tan or Coyote colored BDU pants.

When I consider that the first cargo pants I bought were at Sam's Club, Kohls, Wal-Mart . . . all places that tactical ninjas shop at (NOT!), I think that you are over-thinking it. Unless I see a drop-leg holster, I don't automatically think "gun carrying ninja" when I see people wear them and I wear cargo pants all the time (except when I must wear a suit jacket, extremely rare other than Masonic meetings), I've never heard anyone comment on them.

Watch people walking at dusk, almost everyone is wearing dark (black, navy, etc.) clothing. I seriously don't think color is an issue either.

i'd been wearing BDU's for decades until i got my first pair of LAPG pants. fit/form were OK, but i loved the functionality. only problem was that they didn't even hold up to regular washes let alone semi harsh environments or abuse so i quickly moved on to 5.11 taclites (double the price) and am now obsessed with the 5.11 Stryke pants. they fit awesome, look awesome, and are much more durable than the LAPG pants. just more proof that ya get what ya pay for, although i only buy them when they're on sale as i can't see buying them for full price ($70).

I have 5.11 Tactical Tac Lite Pro pants in tan, green, black, blue, gray, and realtree Xtra camo. I've downsized my jeans drawer considerably in the last few years.

They fit me great, and suit my lifestyle very well, from hunting, yardwork, business casual attire, etc. Only complaint is that I upgraded my smartphone to a Galaxy S5, and it doesn't fit in the left-front outside pocket (the one with the flap).

I gave a pair to my dad, who wears his all the time, too.

If any of you guys have 5.11 pants and have NOT put the kneepads in, you owe it to yourself to get a pair. Best $10 or whatever, you'll ever spend.

I have 5.11 Tactical Tac Lite Pro pants in tan, green, black, blue, gray, and realtree Xtra camo. I've downsized my jeans drawer considerably in the last few years.

They fit me great, and suit my lifestyle very well, from hunting, yardwork, business casual attire, etc. Only complaint is that I upgraded my smartphone to a Galaxy S5, and it doesn't fit in the left-front outside pocket (the one with the flap).

I gave a pair to my dad, who wears his all the time, too.

If any of you guys have 5.11 pants and have NOT put the kneepads in, you owe it to yourself to get a pair. Best $10 or whatever, you'll ever spend.

I think only the Stryke pants take kneepad inserts, or are there others? I avoided the non-cotton pants figuring cotton breathes better, so didn't look at those.

Tacticalgear.com has regular 20% off deals, there's one right now (might need to be on their mailing list), good place to buy 5.11 pants.

On a side note, the Covert cargo pants have side pockets sized to hide AR magazines. Mmkay, where do you hide the AR itself, lol.

I think only the Stryke pants take kneepad inserts, or are there others? I avoided the non-cotton pants figuring cotton breathes better, so didn't look at those.

Tacticalgear.com has regular 20% off deals, there's one right now (might need to be on their mailing list), good place to buy 5.11 pants.

On a side note, the Covert cargo pants have side pockets sized to hide AR magazines. Mmkay, where do you hide the AR itself, lol.

The Tru-Spec 24-7 also will take internal knee pads. Never done it as I had bought over-the-pants knee pads years before I ever got the cargo pants.

Not sure which other pants take the internal kneepads, but the TacLite Pro pants definitely do. They're very light and comfortable to wear.

The TacLite Pro pants side pockets are specifically designed to hold two 30rd AR mags per side.

Since starting this thread I've purchased several more of the operator tactical pants in various colors. I hate the name, but the functionality is great. I went with this particular pants, because as a lefty these pants have the front cell phone pocket on both sides. I used to be a strictly jeans guy, but I seldom wear jeans now. I have a desk job and cargo pants are so much more comfortable to wear sitting for 8 hours.
I did just look at the 5.11 factory second cargo pants and they lack the cell phone pocket on the leg front that I use so often.

i'd been wearing BDU's for decades until i got my first pair of LAPG pants. fit/form were OK, but i loved the functionality. only problem was that they didn't even hold up to regular washes let alone semi harsh environments or abuse so i quickly moved on to 5.11 taclites (double the price) and am now obsessed with the 5.11 Stryke pants. they fit awesome, look awesome, and are much more durable than the LAPG pants. just more proof that ya get what ya pay for, although i only buy them when they're on sale as i can't see buying them for full price ($70).

After finding this thread through a search for cargo pants I purchased 5.11 Stryke pants from Amazon. I paid $53 for the khaki pair. They are, hands down, the best pants I've purchased in a long time. I wish they were easier to find at a discount. Does anyone know of a coupon code for either LA Police Gear or Tacticalgear.com?

keep your eyes open. 5.11 deals pop up all the time on LAPG. sign up for the newsletter.

They go on-sale at Cabela's or MidwayUSA, too. I find they don't stock every style and/or color, though.

I liked it when Imperial Municipal Partners (IMP) in Milford had their 5.11 Tactical store. They sold out to MHQ in Marlboro, and from what I see of their website, the only 5.11 Tactical item they stock is a backpack.

Last edited:
I have a few pairs of LAPG cargo pants. They are good for camping hiking ect. I dont carry in them in public because they look tactical. The whole idea of concealed carry is to blend in. Criminals look out for things like that, and would probably target them first. Thats my take on it

90% (at least) of criminals would rethink their plans if they thought you were somehow related to law enforcement. Only terrorists would target you first IMHO.

90% (at least) of criminals would rethink their plans if they thought you were somehow related to law enforcement. Only terrorists would target you first IMHO.

Lots of people wear cargo pants these days. Very few know the difference between garden variety cargo pants and tacticool pants.

BUMP

To anyone rocking LA Police Gear Cargo Pants.
Do you feel they fit true to size? Did you have to size up or down?

They're $20 right now which is why I'm looking at them.

BUMP

To anyone rocking LA Police Gear Cargo Pants.
Do you feel they fit true to size? Did you have to size up or down?

They're $20 right now which is why I'm looking at them.

Thanks for the bump. Looks like a real solid deal, especially if they run true to size!

Tactical high five!

Do you have to start on opposite ends of the room and swat team roll into a high 5?

I love my tac pants I got from Cabelas got them as a gag Halloween costume and they are comfy as hell. Only problem I have with them is they are black until my orange cat sits on them

Do you have to start on opposite ends of the room and swat team roll into a high 5?

I love my tac pants I got from Cabelas got them as a gag Halloween costume and they are comfy as hell. Only problem I have with them is they are black until my orange cat sits on them

Cat people problems

Also have, also enjoy. I like the covert casual the most but I havnt seen them stocked in a while

Last edited:
Got mine in the mail today. The fit is true, but I was expecting a little more freedom of movement. They feel a little sticky, if that makes sense.

Back
Top Bottom