Keyless Trigger Lock Needed

I need a trigger lock (or some similar locking device) for a shotgun in the bedroom, but I don't want to be futzing with a key, or even a combination. I know someone used to make a trigger lock that was manually opened by "squeezing" a tab on the lock. The idea was kids couldn't manipulate it but adults could. I know there are other solutions out there, as well, but I'm not finding anything that fits the bill. I don't have any kind of legal requirement I'm trying to meet. I have a 13-year old son I'm looking to defeat, not a burglar. I'm looking to defeat natural curiosity and normal dexterity, not malicious intent.

I don't want a storage locker or one of those mounts that screws the gun to the wall. The "storage" location doesn't permit that. I'm looking for something that will let me keep the gun in cruiser ready (hammer down on an empty chamber, magazine loaded), but that I can relatively quickly return to "go" status.

Not looking to debate the idea of locks. I'm soliciting lock suggestions. Hopefully we can confine the discussion to that topic. Thanks in advance for the help.

Last edited:
I've never seen the type of lock you're talking about, but it seems to me that if an adult can manipulate it, a 13 year old can too. You certainly know your son better than anyone else here, but I've seen a 2 year old open "child proof" bottles easier than many adults.

If going for a trigger lock, I personally wouldn't use anything but a keyed lock because the combo trigger locks I've seen only have 1000 possible combinations and wouldn't take all that long for someone to try all the possibilities and open it up.

I've never seen the type of lock you're talking about, but it seems to me that if an adult can manipulate it, a 13 year old can too. You certainly know your son better than anyone else here, but I've seen a 2 year old open "child proof" bottles easier than many adults.

If going for a trigger lock, I personally wouldn't use anything but a keyed lock because the combo trigger locks I've seen only have 1000 possible combinations and wouldn't take all that long for someone to try all the possibilities and open it up.
If a trigger lock can be busted off with a screw driver in a few minutes then whether or not it is keyed or combination doesn't really matter.

Are you just looking to prevent young ones from getting ahold of it?

If a trigger lock can be busted off with a screw driver in a few minutes then whether or not it is keyed or combination doesn't really matter.

Are you just looking to prevent young ones from getting ahold of it?

Yes, that's what the OP said he was trying to do.

I myself don't rely on trigger locks, and wouldn't. But if I was going to use one for the OP's purpose, keyed is all I would consider. Something that relies on manual dexterity or a combination could easily be removed and replaced without anyone detecting it. At least if a keyed lock gets pryed off, you probably know it. Of course, if a keyed one gets pryed off, your 13 year old still gains unrestricted access to your gun! So again, I personally do not rely on trigger locks.

I've never seen those...only the key locks or combinations....finger print one is pretty neat.

Last edited:
It could just be me, but my kids would not bust a lock (no matter how easy it is to do so) to get at something in the house. It would leave too much evidence for me to know what happened.

There's a recent story of some 2 year old girl getting killed by a 12 foot python. That guy should not have kept a snake like that in a house with a small child.

In much the same way, if a 13 year old is a cause for concern for you, then do not trust the gun to anything but THE MOST SECURE gun safe you can get.

If you have to thwart a 13 year old in your house who doesn't understand "NO", ***AND*** have reason to be concerned about crime, then my advice is to MOVE.

If your son is intent on playing with your gun while you're not around, then anything short of the highest possible security will be disappointment. A loaded gun and an untrustworty thirteen year old is not a good combination with any cheap lock.

That depends ... in many cases the motivation behind the use of a trigger lock is compliance with the law, not security. If your only purpose of using a trigger lock is to avoid arrest if the gun is discovered during a medical emergency, house fire, no-knock warrant where the police got the house number worng, reporting a gun stolen; etc. a combo trigger lock does just fine.

There's a recent story of some 2 year old girl getting killed by a 12 foot python. That guy should not have kept a snake like that in a house with a small child.

In much the same way, if a 13 year old is a cause for concern for you, then do not trust the gun to anything but THE MOST SECURE gun safe you can get.

If you have to thwart a 13 year old in your house who doesn't understand "NO", ***AND*** have reason to be concerned about crime, then my advice is to MOVE.

If your son is intent on playing with your gun while you're not around, then anything short of the highest possible security will be disappointment. A loaded gun and an untrustworty thirteen year old is not a good combination with any cheap lock.

Please read the original post. I'm not interested in your opinion of my reasons for wanting the lock. If you don't have something to contribute, I would politely ask you to keep your opinions to yourself and move on. Thanks.

Thanks for everyone so far that has contributed to the discussion.

Why bother with trying all possible combinations when it's this easy to pick it open (watch video)? [hmmm]

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/13/the-lockdown-gun-locks-unsafe-at-any-caliber

I prefer combo locks myself... no keys to lose or misplace and you can set all the locks to the same combo (all mine are set to open on 000).

For quick access (should the need ever arise), I keep the lock on my nightstand gun set to 001. One quick turn of the wheel and it's off.

Why bother with trying all possible combinations when it's this easy to pick it open (watch video)? [hmmm]

http://www.engadget.com/2007/06/13/the-lockdown-gun-locks-unsafe-at-any-caliber

I prefer combo locks myself... no keys to lose or misplace and you can set all the locks to the same combo (all mine are set to open on 000).

For quick access (should the need ever arise), I keep the lock on my nightstand gun set to 001. One quick turn of the wheel and it's off.
I've been kicking this can around for quite a while, and I keep coming back to a combo trigger lock, for the reasons you mentioned. I don't like it, but I'm not having any great success in searching out other options.

Four Seasons sells trigger locks that use a combination. Three tumblers with 10 numbers each.

Of course, it only takes 10-15 minutes to run through all 1000 possible combinations...

Four Seasons sells trigger locks that use a combination. Three tumblers with 10 numbers each.

Of course, it only takes 10-15 minutes to run through all 1000 possible combinations...

But... but... but it's locked!! [rofl]

I know. I leave one of these in my trunk for those spur-of-the moment purchases or emergency "crap, gotta lock this thing" times.

Someone pointed out this option, which seems to have a lot of merit in what I'm trying to accomplish. Note it has three levels of security: instant access (what I'm looking for); keyed access; and cable access. And, it's CA DOJ-approved, so at least someone has put hands on it in terms of testing.

GL650KD.jpg

If anyone has any first-hand experience, I'd love to hear it.

Back
Top Bottom