• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Katz Deli NYC

McD's burgers come as frozen patties. You place them on the grill,and hit a timer while that's cooking you are setting up your buns.Once timer goes off you flip the burgers,and set another timer when that timer goes off you load up your burgers on the bun, top them and send them off. I worked a summer back in the day.
When 1950?

Back in 1974 I worked a summer up at the Mac D's on RT. 1 in Walpole.
I cooked breakfast, and Quarter grill for lunch.
They haven’t cooked that way for a long time. The flat top has a part that clamps down on the pattie cooking both sides.
803D1AE9-D46A-41A3-A9F3-093E1A8A7C5F.png

Early '70s. I haven't eaten at McDonalds in years, but don't recall them using microwaves to cook hamburgers. IR lights to keep the fries hot. Their burgers were never great, but they do cook them and they don't hang around in those shoots very long.

I remember my father telling me about engineers cooking birds sitting on a branch.
He worked for Raytheon as a missile systems engineer and I believe they owned Amana who in turn had a employee discount.
Homeowner install era was 76ish maybe??

I remember my father telling me about engineers cooking birds sitting on a branch.
He worked for Raytheon as a missile systems engineer and I believe they owned Amana who in turn had a employee discount.
Homeowner install era was 76ish maybe??
"The countertop microwave oven was first introduced in 1967 by the Amana Corporation. After Sharp introduced low-cost microwave ovens affordable for residential use in the late 1970s, their use spread into commercial and residential kitchens around the world."

I think that I bought my first countertop microwave ~1974 or 1975 at Jordan Marsh. It was an Amana (Raytheon owned Amana back then).

There's a chick fil a in Worcester right off like the 2nd 190 exit. It's near Patrick Subaru

There is exactly 2 arbys in the entire state. One in auburn, one in chicopee.
The next closest it nashua nh. Then the bottom of ct. Arbys is a thing in Pennsylvania something like 500.

Stopped at Abes in Scranton.
You'd never know it was world famous like you guys described.
Anyways, some old Jewish guy served me, not sure if Abe died generations ago or this was him but....pound of roast beef and a medium bucket of bow tie pasta salad to go....$38.00.........holy fawk....whatever. Got the roast beef home and must say its about the best I ever had. pasta salad was excellent too.

Stopped at Abes in Scranton.
You'd never know it was world famous like you guys described.
Anyways, some old Jewish guy served me, not sure if Abe died generations ago or this was him but....pound of roast beef and a medium bucket of bow tie pasta salad to go....$38.00.........holy fawk....whatever. Got the roast beef home and must say its about the best I ever had. pasta salad was excellent too.
Thanks for the reminder, I also hit up Abe's the other day. I don't think think there's an Abe anymore (I heard and now forgot the name of the owner, who I think is who took my order), but I think the reuben was the best I've ever had. Not the biggest, any number of NYC places will pile more meat on, but the best. The corned beef had great flavor and wasn't too dry, the kraut had the perfect amount of bite and crunch to complement it without taking over the sandwich, and there was exactly enough Russian to sweeten the whole thing a bit. If I hadn't gone in right before closing I'd have gone back to take a second one home.

For my sandwich, drink, and a fancy cookie for dessert I got change from a $20.

They close at 3:30 or 4pm depending on day of the week. Leaving the Boston area right after rush hour worked pretty well for my sandwich but traffic sucked (Mass Pike shut down for an accident for a while) and I didn't have a huge margin.

"The countertop microwave oven was first introduced in 1967 by the Amana Corporation. After Sharp introduced low-cost microwave ovens affordable for residential use in the late 1970s, their use spread into commercial and residential kitchens around the world."

I think that I bought my first countertop microwave ~1974 or 1975 at Jordan Marsh. It was an Amana (Raytheon owned Amana back then).
My parents got their 1st microwave in 1978, i remember because i had my first summer job at shields chemical in Webster, I was just 13 and a friends father was in charge so my friend and i did a bunch of shitty jobs around the facility but it was so exciting when I came home and found this giant thing on the counter with an analog timer on it. My mother would yell at me not to stand directly in front or I wouldn't be able to father children.

NY style Deli opening in Worcester, NES meet up soon.

"The restaurant, Helfand’s Deli, will be located at 143 Highland St. which formerly housed Sahara restaurant. The sit-down area will have between 24 and 30 seats, according to Goldstein.

They have already hired a chef with “a lot of experience in the restaurant business,” Goldstein said.

The menu will include any New York-style deli sandwich you could want, and according to Matthew they will making their own pastrami and corned beef using their own brine.

The will have a deli counter where people can come get orders of different meats and other things to-go like pasta salad and coleslaw. The deli will also serve knishes, matzo ball soup, half sour pickles and other New York-style deli staples."

I will have to keep an eye on this. My dad always dreamed of opening a NY style deli around here out of frustration at the lack of anything decent. I hope they do it well and succeed.

I try to leave as early as possible when heading south (or west). Since I'm south of Boston, I'll take I-95 south to I-495 north, to the 'pike, to I-84. Most of the time traffic isn't bad, but there's always the chance of hitting something.

I leave with a full tank, but make my first fuel stop at the Pilot or Mobil(?) in Sturbridge. Before they rebuilt it, the Pilot was the cheapest gas around. There was always a line of those gas tax loving CT residents lined up to get cheap MA fuel. [rofl] Since both the Mobil and Pilot have been rebuilt, prices are higher, but still better than CT. Next gas stop is in Matamoros, NJ on the NY, NJ, PA line. NJ prices higher than they were, but better than the other two states.

Usually, that gets us to Scranton in time for lunch.

They close at 3:30 or 4pm depending on day of the week. Leaving the Boston area right after rush hour worked pretty well for my sandwich but traffic sucked (Mass Pike shut down for an accident for a while) and I didn't have a huge margin.

Maxies used to be great, but went down hill a few years ago. I think the owner was trying to sell and retire. We did get some deli meat, rolls, and other stuff for a post funeral reception there about a year ago and it was good, so maybe it has new ownership and has improved.

Matamoras is the PA side. Port Jervis is NY.

If you’re doing the transit you never touch NJ. Although you can easily take a side road and go into NJ, but nobody does that. 🤣

I try to leave as early as possible when heading south (or west). Since I'm south of Boston, I'll take I-95 south to I-495 north, to the 'pike, to I-84. Most of the time traffic isn't bad, but there's always the chance of hitting something.

I leave with a full tank, but make my first fuel stop at the Pilot or Mobil(?) in Sturbridge. Before they rebuilt it, the Pilot was the cheapest gas around. There was always a line of those gas tax loving CT residents lined up to get cheap MA fuel. [rofl] Since both the Mobil and Pilot have been rebuilt, prices are higher, but still better than CT. Next gas stop is in Matamoros, NJ on the NY, NJ, PA line. NJ prices higher than they were, but better than the other two states.

Maxies used to be great, but went down hill a few years ago. I think the owner was trying to sell and retire. We did get some deli meat, rolls, and other stuff for a post funeral reception there about a year ago and it was good, so maybe it has new ownership and has improved.
NJ was always cheaper than MA, especially if you paid cash but they raised the gas tax and now are more than MA at most stations. My wife was down visiting her mother a few weeks ago and came back bitching about the cost.

Look's good, we used to go to a Chinese food restaurant there years ago for lunch. Still waiting for Helfand's Deli in Worcester to open.
That place use to have the BEST spareribs.
A dear friend from Sharon brought me some one day and proclaimed them the best. As I was tearing through them it dawned on me and I said, "Wait a minute Ben, you're Jewish" He said, some things are worth atoning for."

NJ was always cheaper than MA, especially if you paid cash but they raised the gas tax and now are more than MA at most stations. My wife was down visiting her mother a few weeks ago and came back bitching about the cost.

It's Exit 1 in PA, but we definitely end up just over the line in NJ. It's actually Montague, NJ, but non of the signs say that. Route 343 if you want to look it up. There's a Pilot there that has really expensive gas. OTOH, the BP across the road has good prices and fairly clean bathrooms.

Matamoras is the PA side. Port Jervis is NY.

If you’re doing the transit you never touch NJ. Although you can easily take a side road and go into NJ, but nobody does that. 🤣

That place use to have the BEST spareribs.
A dear friend from Sharon brought me some one day and proclaimed them the best. As I was tearing through them it dawned on me and I said, "Wait a minute Ben, you're Jewish" He said, some things are worth atoning for."
Yup, this was back in late 70's/early 80's. Funny story, went there with Boss and big boss and we ordered luncheon specials with a few sides. Chinese waiter kept bringing us wrong order and my big boss kept sending them back. We finally finished and ponied up to pay and big boss said I'll take care of tip, he left a dime because of shitty service. We exited restaurant and were walking to car and we hear, "Hey, You leave me 10 cent tip, f*** you" and the waiter throws dime at us. My big boss looks at us and says, "go back to work, I'll take care of this". [rofl] He marched back in and almost strangled the waiter.

When do you think the microwave was invented?
British invented the magnetron tube, secretly, some time before WWII.
It was a key element, of course, in the allied radar systems. but they were built like a fine Swiss watch...needed to be done hand made by experts, which meant they could not be mass produced.
they secretly sent over some to MIT during the war, and the nerds there figured out how to make it with stamped plates of metal sintered together. They brought the mess to Vanavar Bush, who was one of Raytheon's founders, and he figured out the processes to mass produce it. that lead to hundres of thousands of them being made here, probably in Waltham MA, to fill up radar systems and help to win the war. that tube's success branched off to a full factory in Waltham, Raytheon's power tube division. Those tubes ended up powering "Radar Ranges", starting in the 50's. at first there were only commercial microwave ovens, but eventually they went consumer.

The first one I ever saw was a big commercial unit in the cafeteria of a place I worked in high school, probably 1971.

I don't recall when we bought our first one, but it was sometime in the 1980s after I was married.

Now they are everywhere and mostly cheap as dirt.

View: https://youtu.be/uClij8TBWg0

British invented the magnetron tube, secretly, some time before WWII.
It was a key element, of course, in the allied radar systems. but they were built like a fine Swiss watch...needed to be done hand made by experts, which meant they could not be mass produced.
they secretly sent over some to MIT during the war, and the nerds there figured out how to make it with stamped plates of metal sintered together. They brought the mess to Vanavar Bush, who was one of Raytheon's founders, and he figured out the processes to mass produce it. that lead to hundres of thousands of them being made here, probably in Waltham MA, to fill up radar systems and help to win the war. that tube's success branched off to a full factory in Waltham, Raytheon's power tube division. Those tubes ended up powering "Radar Ranges", starting in the 50's. at first there were only commercial microwave ovens, but eventually they went consumer.

Just returned from Helfand's, ordered the large corned beef sandwich, excellent sandwich.
Gotta love a Jewish Deli staffed by Hispanics [rofl]
Chef walked around asking diners how everything was, I told him I'd been waiting for the opening since August.

Back
Top Bottom