• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Katz Deli NYC

yes.. when I was there maybe 10 yrs ago.. paid $18 for a pastrami sandwich (which I thought was very high for the time). Once it came out I had no problem with the price, as the sandwich was worth every penny...

known for the When Harry Met Sally fake orgasm scene
i just looked at their online menu. pastrami sandwich is 26 bucks now. and worth it? you be the judge. pic from their menu. better be some exceptional brined meat.

1659462920976.png

i just looked at their online menu. pastrami sandwich is 26 bucks now. and worth it? you be the judge. pic from their menu. better be some exceptional brined meat.

View attachment 645425
its crazy expensive for a sandwich, but meat prices have gone very high. I'm riding down to Birmingham AL in Sept, and will be stopping in NYC just for this.

I've had many many sandwiches from Katz's, but I pretty much gave up on them because unless you go at a really weird time it takes forever and a half. Eating in the restaurant cuts the annoyance some but a lot of the waitstaff are really clueless. The guys actually slicing the meat still know what they're doing though.

Overall I think the meat is still good but everything else about the operation seems built to fleece tourists instead of feed people. Mail-order meat sounds like a good way around that.

That said, the pastrami at Michael's Deli in Brookline is pretty damn good too. I stopped bothering with Katz's at all when I found them, despite that I love pastrami and given family it's often a very convenient stop.

Also, the pastrami at Up In Smoke in Rockland Maine may be better than both. Someday I want to get a plate of their meat and put it head-to-head against Michael's and Katz's.

I've had many many sandwiches from Katz's, but I pretty much gave up on them because unless you go at a really weird time it takes forever and a half. Eating in the restaurant cuts the annoyance some but a lot of the waitstaff are really clueless. The guys actually slicing the meat still know what they're doing though.

Overall I think the meat is still good but everything else about the operation seems built to fleece tourists instead of feed people. Mail-order meat sounds like a good way around that.

That said, the pastrami at Michael's Deli in Brookline is pretty damn good too. I stopped bothering with Katz's at all when I found them, despite that I love pastrami and given family it's often a very convenient stop.

Also, the pastrami at Up In Smoke in Rockland Maine may be better than both. Someday I want to get a plate of their meat and put it head-to-head against Michael's and Katz's.
thanks for the tip to Michael's Deli. I'll definitely be trying them.

yeah.. like I said.. back then.. the $18 was worth it... Considering that I just paid $15 for a Whopper value meal here in Plainville, I'd pay $26 for that pastrami. In NYC, it's probably a steal at that price.

$15 for a Whopper value meal?

Did you super size it and add a milkshake and a cookie or something?

Rein's Deli (Vernon,Conn) is worth a stop on the way to NYC.

Came here to post this. I'm not huge on a lot of the jewish deli staples, or the crazy lines at some of these places, but Rein's is pretty good as they go. Still, I'll take Sam LaGrassa's locally if I want to spend almost $30 on a sandwich.

We used to go there/order from there when I worked at MetroTech in Brooklyn. Awesome stuff, worth every penny, but I don't know that I'd order it shipped.

Michaels meats are good, but their bread is not. I don't understand why they don't buy from clearflower across the street, which may be the best bakery I've ever been to.

its crazy expensive for a sandwich, but meat prices have gone very high. I'm riding down to Birmingham AL in Sept, and will be stopping in NYC just for this.

It's always been crazy-expensive. I recall going to the Stage in the. . . . 90's. That was crazy expensive even for the serious amount of meat on the corned beef on rye. But damn I didn't go back for seconds for sure.

Same here. But I could see myself putting on about 4# of water weight with all of the salt in that pastrami.

I've made my own. Dried it out too much. Should have wrapped it. Some day, I'll do up a smaller flat along with a whole packer and make some pastrami.

Want to know something awful - and you guys over 50 can probably relate at times. My mom made pastrami sammiches for supper about 4x a year.

She freaking boiled the stuff. No frying pan. No cooktop. She boiled it. So did my wife's mom.

THEY BOILED FREAKING KIELBASA AS WELL!!!!

Damn. My wife's family isn't even Irish so you can't blame that. But they boiled EVERYTHING! "You want some great food with no flavor? No problem, friend. Just let me boil the flavor right out of that there food and you can not-enjoy it in peace!"

That's crazy, haven't been to BK in a while.. Thought those Whopper meals were like $8.00 or something.

I went to Wendies a month or so ago with boy. Baconator fries, 6pc nuggie, 2 sm drinks, Double sammich. . . . $18 or so. It was barely 2 meals. Even my son was like, "whaaahhhhh????" I recall when I could eat at Wendy's for $3.

I went to Wendies a month or so ago with boy. Baconator fries, 6pc nuggie, 2 sm drinks, Double sammich. . . . $18 or so. It was barely 2 meals. Even my son was like, "whaaahhhhh????" I recall when I could eat at Wendy's for $3.

Pretty soon fast food places are going to start using the remote card swipers that ask you for a percentage tip before you confirm the amount.. I hate that shit.. If I don't tip they will spit in my food and make me wait.

That Katz deli looks good, but $38.00 a pound delivered for their meat is kinda steep IMO.

It's always been crazy-expensive. I recall going to the Stage in the. . . . 90's. That was crazy expensive even for the serious amount of meat on the corned beef on rye. But damn I didn't go back for seconds for sure.

Same here. But I could see myself putting on about 4# of water weight with all of the salt in that pastrami.

I've made my own. Dried it out too much. Should have wrapped it. Some day, I'll do up a smaller flat along with a whole packer and make some pastrami.

Want to know something awful - and you guys over 50 can probably relate at times. My mom made pastrami sammiches for supper about 4x a year.

She freaking boiled the stuff. No frying pan. No cooktop. She boiled it. So did my wife's mom.

THEY BOILED FREAKING KIELBASA AS WELL!!!!

Damn. My wife's family isn't even Irish so you can't blame that. But they boiled EVERYTHING! "You want some great food with no flavor? No problem, friend. Just let me boil the flavor right out of that there food and you can not-enjoy it in peace!"

LOL I can relate. My mother boiled everything too. Must have been to try to kill bacteria or something.

I have a smoker. I have done beef and pork ribs, brisket, pork butts and shoulders, but pastrami with all the brining and preparation seems very intimidating, but I'll try it soon.
Two things I spare no change - ammo and meat.

you think Wendys is bad - go to Arbys. I can eat 2 large beef and cheddars, curly fries and a diet (because I'm on a diet) drink - $35

Back
Top Bottom