• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Katz Deli NYC

Pretty sure, at least in teh past, Arby's was NOT a place to WANT to go to.

And I dislike the breading at Chick of Laid. It's flavorless. Their process is great. Their breading sucks. Gimme a Popeyes, which is even MORE rare.
they just opened a new Popeyes in Woburn, I haven't tried it yet. Haven't been to one in a few years, used to go now and then when I worked in FL.

Burger King has the smoke and odor from the burgers.

I’ve never seen any smoke from cooking come out of any McD’s. Ive never even seen one flipped in a store. They open that little drawer thingy and pick out a burger with about 2% beef in it and place it on the bun.
Ok. Maybe not a microwave, it’s steamed like a drive in movie theater. Now those were burgers!!! 😂
They’re cooked on a special flat top which cooks top and bottom at the same time and then placed on trays in the warmers which keep them moist until needed. They microwave for a few seconds to melt the cheese. Nothing is actually cooked in the microwaves.

Burger King has the smoke and odor from the burgers.

I’ve never seen any smoke from cooking come out of any McD’s. Ive never even seen one flipped in a store. They open that little drawer thingy and pick out a burger with about 2% beef in it and place it on the bun.
Ok. Maybe not a microwave, it’s steamed like a drive in movie theater. Now those were burgers!!! 😂
McD's burgers come as frozen patties. You place them on the grill,and hit a timer while that's cooking you are setting up your buns.Once timer goes off you flip the burgers,and set another timer when that timer goes off you load up your burgers on the bun, top them and send them off. I worked a summer back in the day.

Abe's Deli in downtown Scranton as it happens. Sandwiches not as big as Katz's, but tasty. We usually stop there on our way down south. It's a good lunch stop if you're driving from MA.

There's also Harold's Deli in Edison, NJ. I've never been there even though my son lived there for five years. However, a couple of my friends went there and said it was great. Huge sandwiches that can make two meals. Very tasty too.

NJ has a lot of faults, but they also have a lot of good delis and diners. It's about the only thing I miss about him not living there any more. I definitely don't miss the draconian anti gun laws.
Abe's Deli in downtown Scranton - in PA ?

they just opened a new Popeyes in Woburn, I haven't tried it yet. Haven't been to one in a few years, used to go now and then when I worked in FL.

Get the spicy. A buddy of mine hits KFC as his "cheat day" about once a month. I cringe every time. Popeye's is just so crispy and tasty in comparison. They closed the one in Fall River. Which is sad.

Funny was the night I was driving down 24 and stopped at the one in Brockton for takeout dinner for the kids. I think I got a 16-piece meal. For 4 of us.

I had a bite of potatoes. I had two spoonfuls of RBR. I had one biscuit. I had (granted I hadn't eaten since a meager breakfast) ONE ENTIRE CHICKEN. Gosh it was tasty.

OK, maybe I ate double thighs and legs instead of boobs and wings. My girls and wife prefer white meat. I'll take a well cooked thigh and leg every time. But I ate 8 pieces of chicken. In my dress clothes. Standing over the kitchen island. ROFL!!!

Yes. Warning, you do have to go by Joe Biden Blvd so that may affect your appetite.
I'm riding down to AL in September and will pass right through Scranton. I put a pin in there to make sure I stop by for a meal. Thanks brother

Down hanover st towards the city away from the ocean, on the opposite side of the street is modern pastry. They blow mikes away with quality. One street over salem st is bovas 24 hoir bakery.
One 24 hours is awesome and midnight till early morning the fresh bread bakes. Not only a bakery they have food stuffs like pastas,sandwiches made to order on their bread, arancini rice balls stuffed with stuff. So good the food and bakery items. Also on salem st dinos subs and food. 4 foot long french bread subs, as well as traditional subshop type stuff. Salem st ernestos pizza. Pizza by the slice as well as whole pizzas. Two slices would be a hair shy of a medium domino's pizza. Those places are where the locals eat the prices are not tourist trap stupid. The quality is really good.
Ernesto’s is legit. I like pizza a lot and that was my go to when I worked downtown. Florian next to the state house was also good. Never found bovas, but bricco salumeria (down a little ally next to modern) seemed good to me. Not the restaurant - the little Italian market and bakery. The guys making the bread didn’t speak English - or at least pretended not to. But I guess I don’t know if their foreign language was Italian either.

You're welcome. Depending on where in AL, I might have some suggestions. My son lived in Baldwin County for five years and there was some decent food. There was even a really good Italian place down there.

The Chinese, not so much.
I'm riding down to AL in September and will pass right through Scranton. I put a pin in there to make sure I stop by for a meal. Thanks brother

Get the spicy. A buddy of mine hits KFC as his "cheat day" about once a month. I cringe every time. Popeye's is just so crispy and tasty in comparison.

It’s been ages since I ate at KFC, they closed them all near me. But when I did I always got the extra crispy. It gave the chicken a head start at being crisp.

That said, there are a couple of Popeyes near me and the spicy is not my favorite and the pieces are kind of small.

You're welcome. Depending on where in AL, I might have some suggestions. My son lived in Baldwin County for five years and there was some decent food. There was even a really good Italian place down there.

The Chinese, not so much.
My trip details are on another device but I'll be a little south of Birmingham. I'm a BBQ guy and found one of the top 10 BBQ Smoked restaurants right in Birmingham. Can't remember the name.

The Subway supreme meats sub on Italian bread is pretty damn good.
Subway can f*** off, the f***ers don't even sell roast beef anymore. Then again ive seen that in more than one place. Has to be supply/cost issues.

Nocentma has a paucity of decent sandwich shops. I usually have to just make it at home.

I was hoping Chick-fil-A and Arby's would open a restaurant in Leominster considering we have every other fast food, chain restaurant in the area. I hate seeing those Arby's commercials and not being able to buy their sandwiches. There is an Arby's and a Chick-fil-A in Chicopee on Memorial Dr outside Westover ARB.

There's a chick fil a in Worcester right off like the 2nd 190 exit. It's near Patrick Subaru

@SFC13557 my heart broke a bit when La Pasta Mia disappeared. They used to have incredible hot subs. Meatball, chk parm etc. Homemade style stuff. I think one of the two brothers died and that broke the other one. :(

I stopped once at Drum Hill after a Drs appointment.
One bite. Tossed that lunch in the barrel at the front door. OMFG was it gross. I’d live with a headache from not eating before I’d darken their doorway with my shadow. Just NFW ever again.

NY style Deli opening in Worcester, NES meet up soon.

"The restaurant, Helfand’s Deli, will be located at 143 Highland St. which formerly housed Sahara restaurant. The sit-down area will have between 24 and 30 seats, according to Goldstein.

They have already hired a chef with “a lot of experience in the restaurant business,” Goldstein said.

The menu will include any New York-style deli sandwich you could want, and according to Matthew they will making their own pastrami and corned beef using their own brine.

The will have a deli counter where people can come get orders of different meats and other things to-go like pasta salad and coleslaw. The deli will also serve knishes, matzo ball soup, half sour pickles and other New York-style deli staples."

Last edited:
I want a chef with zero experience in the restaurant business.

In fact, I want someone who has no idea what food is. Someone who's got food-amnesia or something. LOL

What a stupid thing to say. A chef with restaurant experience? I want a babysitter who knows the difference between a grown man and a small child. I'd like a computer programmer that knows what a keyboard and mouse do.

Pretty sure, at least in teh past, Arby's was NOT a place to WANT to go to.

And I dislike the breading at Chick of Laid. It's flavorless. Their process is great. Their breading sucks. Gimme a Popeyes, which is even MORE rare.
Leominster has a Popeye's which is pretty good, better then KFC.

I want a chef with zero experience in the restaurant business.

In fact, I want someone who has no idea what food is. Someone who's got food-amnesia or something. LOL

What a stupid thing to say. A chef with restaurant experience? I want a babysitter who knows the difference between a grown man and a small child. I'd like a computer programmer that knows what a keyboard and mouse do.
I assume the owners mentioned that fact because neither has restaurant experience, but you are correct it's a moot point. I will recon this deli when it opens in September and try a corned beef and pastrami sandwich and report back. About 30 minutes from me. Popeye's is a little too crispy for me.

Last edited:
Popeyes small. . . . . I guess. I don't need no nukulur boobs. In fact, I HATE huge fried chicken. Hence, I can scarf down a "whole chicken" standing in my kitchen. It's not one of those 8# freaks of nature you see in the grocery store. Remember, a roaster in the 70's used to be 3# or so.

Damn. I haven't had Popeyes in a long time. Maybe I'll just make RBR this weekend for the kicks and move on.

Popeyes small. . . . . I guess. I don't need no nukulur boobs. In fact, I HATE huge fried chicken. Hence, I can scarf down a "whole chicken" standing in my kitchen. It's not one of those 8# freaks of nature you see in the grocery store. Remember, a roaster in the 70's used to be 3# or so.

Damn. I haven't had Popeyes in a long time. Maybe I'll just make RBR this weekend for the kicks and move on.

I generally get leg/thigh not breast. I think the dark meat is more flavorful and less dried out.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an 8lb chicken in a store. Most of the chickens I see are in the 3.5 to 4.5lb range.

It would be funnier if they had come back from Japan. :D

When my uncle and family returned from bed ng stationed in Germany, the youngest said to her father.

“Dad, I like the chickens in Germany better”

He asked why and she came back with

“They had 4 legs”

I generally get leg/thigh not breast. I think the dark meat is more flavorful and less dried out.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen an 8lb chicken in a store. Most of the chickens I see are in the 3.5 to 4.5lb range.
Right in the middle of you two, this is about all I can find in my AO

Attachments

• 16602490457314092444049101328881.jpg
    16602490457314092444049101328881.jpg
    385 KB · Views: 13
Ate thigh and drumstick, breading/crust very good and chicken cooked perfectly. Thigh a little salty, drumstick perfect. Mashed potatoes and green beans are great. Good deal, better than either KFC or Popeye's IMHO 👍

Katz Deli - Rate My Takeaway on yootube review. He's from England and gives honest reviews at different restaurants.
This is Danny's first time in the USA with his cameraman.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48JC6xRKrrE

From what I've read about him, he's a father of 3(?) and his wife recently passed from cancer. He tells younger kids "I'm an old man!" even though he's 42.
I don't watch him all the time, but some of the smaller restaurants in towns he visits the food looks fantastic! He goes to places based on comments left in each video. I believe he is also doing this as a full time job now. I wish Danny well, but he needs to lose weight...

Back
Top Bottom